The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls and Thumptip. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1311 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Hi.

I'm looking for more resources on sponge balls magic with a thumptip. So far I know routines by Dean Dill and Roger Klause.
Can anyone direct me to more sources?

Thanks,
Daniel
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
418 Posts

Profile of ekins
You need to look for information from Jay Scott Berry. When I first saw him perform it was the closest thing to real magic I had seen in a long time. He uses something he calls the Eclipse Tip.

-Brian
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have never used the Eclipse Tip, or seen it being used for that matter, but is that anything like the Flip Tip as put out by the folks of D'Lite fame? I assume you are familiar with the Flip Tip, but if not, let me know.

Try looking in the little booklets like 25 Amazing Tricks with a TT or 25 Amazing Tricks with Sponge Balls, etc. You may find a good source of things to do there. All you really need is one good effect using a TT and sponge ball to get your imagination rolling.

The Sponge Up the Sleeve was put out by another performer and Roger Klause took it to the next level, but it is a really strong effect.
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
418 Posts

Profile of ekins
I'm not familiar with the Flip Tip, but based on the name suspect it is something similar. I found a video of Jay performing his sponge ball routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ktMTfxarEc

-Brian
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 10:20, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
I have never used the Eclipse Tip, or seen it being used for that matter, but is that anything like the Flip Tip as put out by the folks of D'Lite fame? I assume you are familiar with the Flip Tip, but if not, let me know.

I have not used the Eclipse tip. It is close to the Flip tip. The reasons why I have not used one is. I didn't like the Flip tip when I seen it after it first came out and I don't care for Eclipse tip either. I know some do but just not my cup of tea.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I do not use either of them myself, although I had a Flip Tip from when it first came out, but it broke. By the looks of the video from the link above, the things I saw on there could be done with a FT as well. Like RS1963, it was and still is not for me either, but it is still a neat idea.
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
418 Posts

Profile of ekins
With the Eclipse Tip there's not really anything to break. You can easily make one yourself from a vinyl TT. Jay does quite a few other things with it too. I just checked and see that Hocus Pocus sells his DVD on the Eclipse Tip, along with some other utility devices he has which I haven't seen before. Probably other dealers sell them too.

To tell you the truth, I don't use it either but it's because I haven't spent the time working with it to be at a performance level, not because I don't think it's practical.

-Brian
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
There is some material (or at leats one effect) in "Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD".
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7061 Posts

Profile of bowers
I much prefer the sanada gimmick
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I ordered a JSB Cloaking Device to see what can be done with it, like Sanada but a bit different.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Correct me if I'm wrong but this routine is performed with a cloaking device. The eclipse tip is something I use to perform a colour changing silk and it is beautiful to use and easier to ditch than a d*e t**e. I also have a friend that does a bill switch with a cloaking device and it allows him to do a double change. Both gimmicks have very definite uses.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
The cloaking device is an improvement on the sanada. I was underwhelmed and couldn't see myself using this...
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of silksock
I perfer the sanada when working with spongeballs.
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Fin Jon (sp?) had a booklet out that showed how to use small sponge balls and a very short tip... Can't think of the title, but I'm sure it used the word "Tip" in it. ;-)
Lynn Fox
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Foxbiz - It is Finn Jon and yes, I remember that but I cannot recall the name of it either. He also has a routine that makes use of a TT and sponge cigars from his video/DVD The Incomparable Finn Jon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls and Thumptip. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL