The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Cups and Balls set? (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I collect jumbo cups and balls sets. The Van Dokkum Jumbos are hard to beat -- they will take a standard baseball as a final load and they are nearly indestructible.

The Riser Jumbos are pretty, a little smaller, made of copper. They are hard to find but worth the money.

If you want standard cups, There are lots of them on the market -- the Johnson cups are very nice.

I'm not nuts about the Phoenix cups -- the quality is not up to snuff.

The new Penguin cups photograph well, but the quality seems to be off.

The Harries Bosco Cups are nicely made large cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Cups, boy I have a drawer full. The Phoenix cups are great (I have 2 sets), you can really beat them, but I don't think you can get any more. I think even the second's have sold out.

I'm going to order a Gazzo set, will see how they do. The reviews are great about them.

However the Porper cups are top quality, and are very heavy. Great sound! But then again, that is a hefty price tag.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I hae a set of the Riser Jumbo cups they hold a baseball for a final load and work like a dream.
I also have a set of rings and things cups that are sweet, but have not touched them since I got my set of risers! They just feel right in the hands.
Arthur Atsma
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Brett Sherwood just came out with some "smooth cups", man they look nice.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
froxen
View Profile
New user
Singapore
38 Posts

Profile of froxen
Hi Everybody!

I was wondering if anyone here has the El Duco Golden Combination Set of Cups and Balls.... I was considering getting one. but I need some recommendation first. my budget is US$150.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the Mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and science." - Albert Einstein
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Smile
Hi All,
After many requests, I am happy to finally announce that my new "smooth classic" style cups are now available to the magic fraternity. These cups are professionally hand spun using my unique tooling, which I spent three years designing for my engraved silver cups, so you know the technical design is fully established. These smooth cups stack true and without any excess wobbling. There are NO gaps on the bottom base bead, which is very important, as a gap eventually collects dirt and residue and looks bad. My cups weigh about six and one half ounces EACH, so you know they will last a lifetime. However, these cups are not too heavy and the weight is perfectly balanced and distributed(or so I have been told - many times). I agree with Pete Biro, that the "FEEL" is all important and this was one of my main objectives of WHERE and WHY, in conjunction with adding a larger 'attic' void, I placed the exterior rings. I wanted my cups to comfortably fit the hand 'like a glove' and I am happy this has indeed been proven to be the case. Each cup will easily contain 3 x 1&1/8" balls in the 'attic' void and the three balls will impressively balance on any cup top. Each cup can easily accommodate a regulation tennis ball as an awesome final production. My cups also have the specially designed illusion of the load appearing larger than the cup, when the final load is placed on top. These new smooth cups come in FIVE different styles; brass "bell" cups(because of the ring) , rich copper, all-sterling silver, sterling silver with gold interior and finally the 'all gold' plated sterling cups, which look like 'three golden cups'. All my smooth cups have my quality stamp inside the top of each and the smooth silver cups come with a sterling silver 'hallmark' of .925. Please visit (www.SherwoodMagic.com) to see lots of photos and don't forget to read the testimonials and Q&A sections, as this explains all you will need to know in great detail. Along with the cups you receive a set of crochet balls, quality velvet bag with my logo on the side. Also as an added bonus for purchasing a set my smooth cups you will receive absolutely FREE a voucher worth $50 off one set of 'all silver' Engraved - Limited Edition Cups, should you wish to upgrade at a later date. I believe the quality of these cups is without compare, but I could be bias, so please visit my website and see and read what others think in the 'testimonials'. (www.SherwoodMagic.com)Thanks for looking and spread the word!
Happy 2004 to all!
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
I got Johnson set when they first came out and will more than likely never buy another set.
Lots of set's out there but I don't know anybody that's not happy with these.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I started off with a set of wooden cups that were okay. Moved on to a set of Morrisey cups, also okay.

Fortuanately after that I've hit three home runs. My third set was a set of Phoenix cups. Great cups as many have already said but a bit small for what I wanted to do. However I've worked with them for several years now and love them. I like the patina they've developed over time and would want to shine them. It gives them character.

But. . .

Somehow in the past week or so I've gotten two new sets. (Don't ask me how, and please don't tell my wife). A set of Bosco cups from Harries in Sweden. Great cups, nice size and shape. Problem though. A day later I got a set of Animal Cups from one of our very own members here (thanks John). I love them!! I haven't used the Harries cups yet because I'm just stuck on the Animals. Great weight, great size. They take a large final load. Just what I've been looking for.

I'd love to get a set of Sherwood cups but, alas, my magic allowance for the next several years has been spent. Maybe next year.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of wcb39
Brett Sherwood cups are truly breathtaking. I took out a second mortgage and bought the silver set.
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
The original question was which set is the best? People here have been talking about which are the best constructed, which hold a big load, etc.

I would respectfully suggest that the best set is the one that you use and use well. A person who spends hundreds on a set but can't load them has wasted his or her money. A person who gets the cheap plastic Adams set and amazes people with them has the best set possible.

I've used plastic, chrome, coffee cups, wood. I used big cups and shot-sized cups. I've produced oranges from cups even though the orange won't fit into the cup. I've used combo sets (with a chop cup), chop cup by itself, and Indian (non-nesting) cups.

The magic isn't int the cups...it's in the performer. So respectfully, I would suggest that instead of seeking the "best" set, find one in your price range and get it. Then practice. And practice some more. Create something new with it. Amaze magicians and laypeople alike. The future of magic isn't what others create...it's what we each do.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Your point is well taken.

Mark

Tantrik,

Your point is well taken but I've been doing some thinking.

I still see the validity of your point, we use the tools that we use best. If you want to use paper cups. Go for it.

However, I think the spirit of the question concerned quality. For what I'm doing, I wouldn't use paper cups, coffee mugs, or a lot of the other things you mentioned. I'm doing a fully surrounded show on a walking mall. My routine is taken from a lot of sources (Vernon, Gazzo, Cellini). For this, I want a cup that is going to take a large load (will hide the load), has good weight, can be seen from a distance, and will nest well. Therefore, the Animal cups(or Gazzo cups, or jumbo Riser cups) ARE the best cups for my performance. Yes, I can do the routine with coffee mugs. Yes, I can make a melon appear under a paper dixie cup if I want to, but I don't. It wouldn't work in the circumstances where I'm working.

So yes youre right. The magic is in the magician, not in the tools. BUT some tools are better in some situations.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
Hi Mark.

Mark, you're exactly right. You've got the best cups that work ideally for you based on the routine you want to perform. I should have pointed that out. Thanks for the addition/correction. I appreciate it.
trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
All of yiou guys are talking about really nice sets of cups and balls. if he is just getting into them then he doesn't need that nice of a set. he shiould buy a cheap set that is decent and c if he likes the cups and balls. I believe avery magician should own a set of cups and balls because they are a very versetile effect. you can perform many different effects with them.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Trulymagic,

Good point. In that case Morrisey's are always a good place to start. Not bad for the price.

Tantrik,

On rereading my post, I realize I sounded bit crabby about it. Don't worry I'm not, just nicotine withdrawal. Three weeks and counting. Woo Hoo.
Who's got a match. Smile

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
The Bazar cups, available in copper or brass, are a great starting set. Proper weight, look good, sturdy, and cheap. I've seen them for under $30 on Ebay. It's what I carry for working, I leave my nice cups home just in case the drop bag gets swiped from the waiter's station. Cups are a disease, I'm at 5 sets so far considering a 6th. I agree that the effect is the same no mater what set you are using, but it's so easy to knock over an aluminium cup. Waiting on a set of Penguin's to arrive now. Always wanted a set of Paul Fox, just didn't want to drop a grand.

Talk about timing, the Penguin's just came. Nice cup for the money. Trying to decide between the Animal cups or Johnson's for my next set.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I understood the question, "What's the BEST set?" to mean: Which set is physically the BEST set?

Sure, one could use a set of Morrissey cups, or even a set of Dixie paper cups, and get some strong reactions.

However, when I hear a question asking which is the best, I'm thinking, best balanced, weight, feel, size, sound, appearance, etc...Therefore, I'd say for inside professional use: Sherwood and Porper cups. Outside street performing: Gazzo. Practice cups to bang around (but which still have the proper "feel" to them: Johnson.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
The Porper Cups are simply breathtaking and the accompanying wooden case is a beauty.
atkins117
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of atkins117
I'm also in the market for a new set of cups. I got a set of El Duco cups a few years ago and was disappointed from the start. The "soft shoulder" on the cups makes them unstable when stacked. I've ended up going back to an inexpensive copper set I got thirty years ago. The Sherwood cups look gorgeous, so perhaps I'll splurge!
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Hi,

A nice alternative to the Riser mini cups is the RNT II Black Beauty Combo set, only available from Stevens Magic. They are roughly the same size (so can be carried in your jacket pocket), are black in color and made from heavy duty aircraft aluminum, so they look and feel great. They are a combo set, so the single cup can be used as a chop cup if you wish. They also come with three happy face large load balls (how many cup sets come with the large load balls?). They are also very limited, so they are not only useful, but collectable as well.

Have a good one,

Bob Phillips

http://www.stevensmagic.com
WalterZ
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of WalterZ
Ok, I have a few things to say. Personally, I think you guys are all nuts. Paying over a hundred dollars for cups... CUPS!!!! Think about it for a second, shiny engraved cups don't add to the trick whatsoever... in fact they immediately give the effect to the spectators that these are "fake magic" props. I think this degrades the overall feel to this old trick. They shouldn't be looking at the props so much that they overlook your presentation. And I'm going to have to say that leather cups look the most innocent.

Secondly, people complain about the weight of the cups and having them tip over... Well if you don't practice enough and you're extremely clumsy, sure, any cup can tip over. I don't think the weight of the cups is important. I think what's most important is the shape of the cups and the size of the mouth. Also, cups that are shaped more like pyramids may not look as cool, but give a stronger illusion of the impossibility of loading such large objects under them when the loads are placed on top of the cups at the end.

So here's my 2 cents:

Look at the trick itself, the effect it's supposed to be.

Dont think you're buying something of real value when you buy cups... for only you will know how much you got ripped off for the cups, to everyone else watching you, you're just using shiny cups. Big whoopa, they could easily think that you can get a set just like it at the salvation army...
~WalterZ~

Themystifier.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Cups and Balls set? (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL