The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The most dangerous words in scientific research? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5016 Posts

Profile of landmark
"In my experience," says a blog devoted to what it considers to be sound medicine, are the three most dangerous words in experimental research e.g. "In my experience, echinachea relieves the symptoms of the common cold more quickly ..."

Discuss . . .
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
When a (name the specialty you wish to criticize) sees one case, he'll tell you about "my clinical experience."

When he sees a second case, he'll want to tell you about his "series."

And when he sees a third, it's "case after case after case."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In my experience, the most dangerous word is, "Oops."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It's a fascinating problem (?) in all professional fields (medicine, nursing, engineering, education, etc.) because without experience you'd never have any action. Most of the judgments made on any given day are made quickly on the basis of experience and "common knowledge". And usually it's not a problem. But sometimes professionals misremember, mistakenly generalize or are just plain wrong and it's really hard to shake those deeply felt convictions.

But how could any practice go on without those run-of-the-mill judgments?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The 3 words most noticeable at times to me when reading about something are "as previously thought".

- Eggs are bad for you due to cholesterol, not good for you, as previously thought.

- Eggs are not so bad, as previously thought, because..."

- Eggs are now considered worse for you than previously thought, because what we thought to be not so bad turned out not to be so good.

As science changes, so will our conclusions. Not to mention scientists will have differences of opinion. God love 'em, they're trying, and I appreciate it.

I just hope they're able to find cures for cancer, heart disease...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 14:51, Chessmann wrote:
The 3 words most noticeable at times to me when reading about something are "as previously thought".

- Eggs are bad for you due to cholesterol, not good for you, as previously thought.

- Eggs are not so bad, as previously thought, because..."

- Eggs are now considered worse for you than previously thought, because what we thought to be not so bad turned out not to be so good.

As science changes, so will our conclusions. Not to mention scientists will have differences of opinion. God love 'em, they're trying, and I appreciate it.

I just hope they're able to find cures for cancer, heart disease...

And, indeed, some of those new conclusions will coincide with some of the "in my experience" anecdotal observations that weren't consistent with the former scientific consensus.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The Latin aphorism from the Greek of Hippocrates was "Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile." In other words, it takes a long time to learn the art, but life is short; the opportunity to act is momentary, but experience is fallible, and judgment is difficult."

The key point for us here is the recognition that experience can be very misleading.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I always liked redneck science. "Hey Earl, watch this!"
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nine out of ten leading researchers (we could pay off, or chose to include in our study) support the position that...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
Proverbs From the Ancient Egyptian Temples

http://www.duboislc.org/html/Proverbs.html

So it is written so let it be done.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
The most dangerous words in scientific research?

"Sir, the supervirus has escaped containment and spread to the general population."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
(actor portrayal)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"We know that..."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
They call it reserch cos they are 50 years behind what the elite have already invented. We know that.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The most dangerous words in scientific research? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL