The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Web page for a "special offer" with expiration? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Here's my thought:
I'm at the autograph table after an event, and I'd like to offer these patrons a special offer: order up your magic show in the next 24 hours and receive a discount, or an upgrade, or free goodie bags, or whatever. How do you make sure no one games the game and goes beyond your time limit?

I could put up a special web page just for that event, with a form and everything, and hope I don't forget to take it down at midnight the next night! And keep a server-side database of all the keywords and their expiration dates so no one sneaks in and uses their old password.

If I just use a keyword redirect to a regular page, all someone needs to do is grab that URL and pass it around to have all their friends get the special. Or have it show up on a Google search.

Any hints, tips, or tricks on accomplishing this?
Ed
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Seems like a disclaimer with an expiration date ("This offer only valid through September 20") would easily accomplish that. Or, give them a "validation code" that you can reference to an expiration date. That way, you can verify whether or not it is valid, regardless of how many people pass it along and use it.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm thinking I need a whole new way to look at booking my shows through my web site. I'm going to have to seriously re-work this thing.

Thanks for the input.
Ed
SHLONKY
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of SHLONKY
You could easily setup a webpage that expires after 24 hours.

the tricky part would depend on what the form is linked to? if you have a shopping cart selling many items then youd need it integrated into that. ..i kno this is an old thread...but if your still trying to do something like this then send me a message and ill help out on what you can and cant do (im a web developer)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Web page for a "special offer" with expiration? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL