The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Boomerang Rubberband (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Hi! Anyone tried the rubberband effect on Paul Daniel's "Inner secrets of Professional Magic" ?

I wonder if anyone has a problem "Not letting the rubberband slide over the nail" ?
Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
There been alot of hype about this effect . I bought it and tried to do the effect but was unsuccessful. I kept losing the bands. I guess my hands are not made to do it.

If some one else has accomplished this feat let me know.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Dan Garrett does a mean version. Saw him do this on a carpeted floor!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I have done this, and yes it does come back to you.
looks good, I do this, then produce a huge tire tube and make the tube come back too. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Remember as kids we'd take a hula hoop and snap it forward and it would go 10 feet and then roll back to us? Same principle.

I wish selightofhand1's post would roll back to him!
Smile
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I have a friend named Bob Lesterhouse who is actually more of a clown magician and he's been doing a couple of versions of this trick for years. That is if this is the same effect you're all talking about. I haven't seen Paul Daniel's version. The band is shot and when it hits the floor some feet away it rolls back to you? Let me know if it's a different effect then this. Maybe one of the versions my friend does is Pauls.

Anyway, the difference in the two versions my friend does is that in one method the band is rigged to the hand with the hand in a gun shape.
The other version the band runs from your thumb to your little finger. In my experience the method where it runs from your thumb to little finger works best.

Being careful not to hint the method there are a couple of tips I can share. You have to use the right size band of course. Then, make sure the band doesn't get twisted.

Anyway, Bob does this trick so well. It shoots about 20 feet and comes back sometimes (With the right conditions that is).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Vinny, I imagine your house is full of rubber bands now. Smile
Yours,

Ivan
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Niva, you hit the nail right on the head, Right now I'm working on some new rubberband stuff.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
The Boomerang Rubber Band is explained in a booklet by Chris Kenner and Dan Garrett and also on the Rubber Band Magic Volume 3 video by Dan Harlan. It does take some practice to be able to get the rubber band into the right position before shooting it without it flying off the fingers prematurely, but you will eventually get the knack. It is also helpful if the rubber band is close to circular rather than elliptical and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
Findlay
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Findlay
I spoke to Paul Daniels about this trick when he was here in Edinburgh, and he said the band must be circular and a size 4. Hope this may be of some help. Smile
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I first saw this in 1982. Mike Weber did it at a one day convention in PennGrove, Ca. It was written up in a Magicana by Charlie Miller, I believe. Seems like it was a rumor, with no method described, at first, then Weber worked it out, then it got around and various methods were published. When Mike did it, he shot the band downhill and it ran back up!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I have a version where I bet a person that I can get it before they do. They stand approx. 5-10 feet accross from me. I tell them that I will shoot it with one hand, and it will land right in front of them, but I can get it before they do. Should see the look on their face when they bend down to get it and it comes rolling back to me. Priceless.lol

I have a little nail sticking out, so I don't have the slip problem.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Here is a page that shows you how to do it.

Brad

http://user.icx.net/~doncox/
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Well I checked out the site with the instructions and I just can't figure this out and I do lots of band tricks. Anyone else have this problem?
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I've tried this. This is hard for me. The rubber band just shoots where ever it wants to go lol.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I learned this trick from a friend of mine, and it just takes a lot of practice. It took a whole week just to make it come back a few times. Now I have perfected it and I can do it anywhere anytime. I do it across tables which is neat, and sometimes outdoors when the weather is not too windy. I call it my sheepdog rubber band that comes back to me when I whistle. (Forgive me if someone has already come up with this. I'm unnaware). Also, for the bands, I found great ones at Office Depo called "Brites" They come in different sizes and colors, and blue works the best.
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
The technique I use for the "boomerang Band"

I can get at least a 20 foot return most of the time, but I do it differently than the link Bradley posted teaches it.

I use a small circular rubber band, as opposed to the ones you would normally use for the Crazy Mans Handcuff's.
When I do it I make the "handgun" shape, I start by hooking it around my pinky first and pull up on it stretching only the left half of the loop. I then wrap that around my thumb and hook the stretched portion of the band over the top of my forefinger nail.
Turn your hand upside down and get it about a foot off the ground . Then release the band with your PINKY. it should glide out there in a low arc. When it touches the ground it'll catch traction and head your way.

Important points to remember: you are only stretching one side of the band (that's what gives it spin) and on some floors you may not be getting enough traction (it just hits the ground and spins)

Hope this helps,
Ronnie
mugician51
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mugician51
I got the boomarang band and I thought that it was a waste of $5.00. I couldn't understand how you are supposed to get the backspin.

It basically says to shoot the rubber band to the floor and it will come back, but I don't get the exact way that you are supposed to do that. I don't think this was meant to be taught in a manuscript.
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
When I was last in Colon, a kid from Vegas showed me this. We were in the gym, right next to Fukai's 'shop'. The long isle was clear and he shot a few. After awhile, he offered to show it to me. I was informed that you need a size 16 rubberband, patience and some time. I was able to get it to work in a few minutes.
Now, I do it when I am at stores where they have them out. I found it just as easy to do it on the carpet as on tile or concrete. The method I use is the one Ron Jaxon mentioned (he was at Curly's when I was practicing) where it goes from the thumb to the pinky. And as he stated, it must not be twisted.

PM me for help.
-Casey
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
383 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I talked with Paul Daniels in 2000 at a convention, we find we can use two hands. It's better and easy to let the rubber band come back.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Boomerang Rubberband (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL