The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Danger of strong magnets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 09:56, Woland wrote:
Aha . . . the plot thickens . . . so we may not be talking about samarium-cobalt magnets after all . . . I'm wondering if some of your magnets were not contaminated from some other source . . . are there any other radioactive items in your home or workshop? Do you do any work with radionuclides? Why do you have 2 Geiger counters at home, anyway?

No, I don't have any radioactive substances in my home (other than naturally occurring ones). I have two Geiger counters because I lived through Chernobyl and saw the effects of airborne radiation on food and other things, when I lived in Europe. I had to travel to Kiev and wanted to be able to measure the radiation of the food I was given. I am glad I did!
After the quake in Japan, I even saw some minute increase in radiation in things like milk, here in Florida (very small).
I have two Geiger counters because I got the large and heavy one first. Saw that it was not very portable and then bought a small pocket size counter from Russia. They both work fine, by the way.
Look, guys, I do not want to be the banner boy for radiation scare tactics... I only wanted to let you guys know what I saw.
I really could not care more about whether you ignore the post or look further into this matter.
I posted all I wanted and needed to on this matter.
Giovanni
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 10:20, tryphon wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 09:56, Woland wrote:
Aha . . . the plot thickens . . . so we may not be talking about samarium-cobalt magnets after all . . . I'm wondering if some of your magnets were not contaminated from some other source . . . are there any other radioactive items in your home or workshop? Do you do any work with radionuclides? Why do you have 2 Geiger counters at home, anyway?

No, I don't have any radioactive substances in my home (other than naturally occurring ones). I have two Geiger counters because I lived through Chernobyl and saw the effects of airborne radiation on food and other things, when I lived in Europe. I had to travel to Kiev and wanted to be able to measure the radiation of the food I was given. I am glad I did!
After the quake in Japan, I even saw some minute increase in radiation in things like milk, here in Florida (very small).
I have two Geiger counters because I got the large and heavy one first. Saw that it was not very portable and then bought a small pocket size counter from Russia. They both work fine, by the way.
Look, guys, I do not want to be the banner boy for radiation scare tactics... I only wanted to let you guys know what I saw.
I really could not care less about whether you ignore the post or look further into this matter.
I posted all I wanted and needed to on this matter.
Giovanni
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
How much does a decent portable Geiger counter cost?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Other than the rare-earth magnets, whose composition is unknown, have you tested any other items at home? Smoke alarms (those often contain americium) ?
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Perhaps..and this may seem like such a simple observation- the magnets moved the needle due to their magnetic properties and not due to radiation? In other words, the needle was magnetized.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 10:54, Douglas Lippert wrote:

Perhaps..and this may seem like such a simple observation- the magnets moved the needle due to their magnetic properties and not due to radiation? In other words, the needle was magnetized.

Except it only reacted to certain magnets, and not others.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ockham's razor at work . . . or is it the fact "that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth . . ."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That, balducci, might have to do with the strength of the magnets.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 10:54, Douglas Lippert wrote:

The main indication is audible: toc toc toc toc....
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 10:37, Woland wrote:
Other than the rare-earth magnets, whose composition is unknown, have you tested any other items at home? Smoke alarms (those often contain americium) ?

Yes, I checked lots of other substances, plus one of the counters has a sample of radioactive material for testing purposes.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 09:52, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-08 11:52, tryphon wrote:

Please believe me and/or do your own research. I have two Geiger counters and they both react strongly when near these magnets.

How near? Inches? How far away before the reading drops off?

Just a few inches. I would post a video if I knew how.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 10:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
How much does a decent portable Geiger counter cost?

From a hundred or so for a real cheapo, to one thousand for a decent one. $150-200 will buy you a usable unit.
Google and you'll find many sources.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 11:11, Salguod Nairb wrote:

Very droll....
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Very well. I accept that some of the magnets you examined caused the Geiger counter to register, and others didn't. Without knowing the composition and the manufacturer of the magnets that caused the reaction, there isn't much we can say about rare-earth magnets in general, is there?

I will note that there have been instances of metal reprocessing plants including highly radioactive gamma-emitting substances (discarded radiotherapy sources) in runs of metal that they melted up and reprocessed as rebar. See here, and here.

I doubt something like that would have happened with a purportedly high-tech precision product like a rare-earth magnet, however.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-09-08 12:13, Illusion & Beyond wrote:
I thought people wear magnets daily for certain healing purposes. Look at magnetic wrist bands, rings, even medical pads. Not sure what to believe now. I wear a necklace with a strong magnet so that put it right next to my heart. I know you shouldn't get close to a pacemaker but that is all the bad I've heard.

Magnets have no healing powers. Its just bs like homeopathy and such.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Magnets are scary.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
[/quote]
Just a few inches. I would post a video if I knew how.
[/quote]
OK, I posted a short video on youtube. Just recorded from my webcam, so the quality is mediocre, but you can see the reaction of the Geiger counter to a small magnet. Make your own judgement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBO2jN2k2PY

Giovanni
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
Are your Geiger counters radioactive, dangerous or illegal?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 13:25, tommy wrote:
Are your Geiger counters radioactive, dangerous or illegal?

Why would they? They are standard test equipment used in many labs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Danger of strong magnets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL