The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "They affirmed the basic goodness of man...when it was easy to doubt humanity still existed..." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"When thirty-eight jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land in Gander, Newfoundland, on September 11, 2001, due to the closing of United States airspace, the citizens of this small community were called upon to come to the aid of more than six thousand displaced travelers."

"Journalist Defede calls our attention to a sidelight of the events of September 11, when the town of Gander (pop. 10,000) was overwhelmed by more than 6,500 air travelers grounded when U.S. airspace was shut down. For a week, DeFede relates, the locals provided food, shelter and supplies and reassurance; "they placed their lives on hold for a group of strangers and asked nothing in return."

I was never more proud to be Canadian and a friend to my American brothers and sisters.

http://www.amazon.ca/Day-World-Came-Town......duct_top
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Once again, as we said on billboards across America, when your diplomats in Teheran hid several of ours from the hostage takers, "Thanks, Canada!"
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 07:13, Woland wrote:
Once again, as we said on billboards across America, when your diplomats in Teheran hid several of ours from the hostage takers, "Thanks, Canada!"

I am privileged to say that we could do no less.
No thanks are necessary.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Just today, David Frum (former economic speechwriter for President George W. Bush) recalled that era and some of the aftermath.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
A pair of metal pieces of the WTC have been sent to Gander for a museum as part of a thank you to that town. A friend who visited the International Peace Gardens (Between Canada and the U.S.) posted photographs of WTC girders on display there as well. Earlier this week a U.S. official attended a unveiling of a Plaque at the Winnipeg airport thanking the staff and city for helping with U.S. passengers stranded there on 911.
So a speechwriter forgot Canada. Oh well, there were plenty of times these things happen. The ones who really wanted to make hay out of it were the staff of the Prime Minsters office. Who did so, and the Canadian media who shared the PMO's loathing of the U.S. administration. Shortly afterward, Chretien was at the White House, and even though there were a lot more important things to deal with the President took the time to thank him and Canada and I remember seeing that on tv. Years later, many people would prefer to dwell on the omission and ignore the follow up.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 22:57, thorndyke wrote:

So a speechwriter forgot Canada. Oh well, there were plenty of times these things happen.

I think there was more to Frum's article than that.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2756 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 06:40, panlives wrote:
"When thirty-eight jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land in Gander, Newfoundland, on September 11, 2001, due to the closing of United States airspace, the citizens of this small community were called upon to come to the aid of more than six thousand displaced travelers."

"Journalist Defede calls our attention to a sidelight of the events of September 11, when the town of Gander (pop. 10,000) was overwhelmed by more than 6,500 air travelers grounded when U.S. airspace was shut down. For a week, DeFede relates, the locals provided food, shelter and supplies and reassurance; "they placed their lives on hold for a group of strangers and asked nothing in return."

I was never more proud to be Canadian and a friend to my American brothers and sisters.

http://www.amazon.ca/Day-World-Came-Town......duct_top

Now there's a movie! I wish I could write, and direct, um, and had any contacts in Hollywood! Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
There was a movie:

http://rjproduct.ca/pivot/entry.php?id=454

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1303829/

Haven't seen it, so I do not know what it was like.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "They affirmed the basic goodness of man...when it was easy to doubt humanity still existed..." (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL