The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How's my approach? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hi all,

I'm starting a big marketing push for my close up magic and just wondered what you guys thought of my basic approach. I don't have a website as yet (though I'm working on this as we speak), so at the moment, I'm phoning round hotels, restaurants agents and party venues - cold calling in the following way:

I contact a venue and get the name of the person who coordinates events, which I then write down. I then ask to speak them, so that I can tell them about my close up magic and how it can be useful at events. I'm also sure to mention the 20% referral fee scheme that I offer to boost their interest. I then get their email address, so that I can follow up with a targeted email, explaining more details. I then have an email list that I can keep updated once every month.

I realise that this isn't as memorable as visiting, and performing for, people to create a lasting impression, but I was just wondering what people made of the above approach. Any strengths/weaknesses? Should I be following up by phone, rather than email? Would I be better doing a free show at hotels to get testimonials and give them first hand knowledge of what I do? Am I giving them enough information for them to actively recommend me to guests?

Thanks in advance,

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sounds more like you are prospecting, not selling your services. I don't believe these places you mentioned will give you information on who their clients are. After All, they do not know you, and if you are who you say you are. Your pitch should be all about benefiting them, not your "close-up magic". Figure out how you can benefit them and their business as it relates to them offering more services to their clients.

If you do not have promotional material on paper to give or send them, you will not get far. As they will want to give their clients the material that may ask if they know anyone that may make their event more successful. You better call it a finders fee or something else then a referral fee. Bribing people is against the law, unless they have repealed that law as well. Tread lightly on this offer.

This is the century of instant messaging. So while you are on the telephone email them your promotional material. You will have something to discuss as they can open it while talking to you. Today PDF files is the easiest way to send material. A professional brochure will go far to tell who you are and what you do. They can then just print it out for their clients that inquire.

If you do not have a web site and promotion material yet, then that is your first task to get up an running.

If you do not have any of these sales materials, then at least get a business card and go in person to solicit your services. That is the only way you will get any results.

Always send a thank you note to the person you speak to, it is good business, even if they reject your idea.

Good Luck!
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hegblini,

Many thanks for your full reply. Yes, at the moment, it feels more like networking. My goal is to get the email address and wrote a good email as a follow up to let them know about my services - which is full of benefits to them. I always talk about how my magic can help them, rather than describing tricks or anything.

I do use my business card a lot and am presently designing a website and a two sheet flyer, but was wondering if this will be enough? As it's a flyer, it could act as a PDF, or hard copy which is a bonus.

I hope my referral idea does not come across as bribery. Thanks for the renaming tip - I'll definitely take your advice. The last thing I want to be accused of is a criminal (that's not the character that I'm going for! Smile ).

I'll get to work on the flyer and the website, which will hopefully give me enough promotional material for now, at least something for them to have confidence to pass on to clients.

Now to dig out some ideas for a flyer....Smile

Thanks for your help.

John
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I've actually started doing this as well and I actually have a question for those who do mail/email an informational packet:

How do you make this packet more interesting than your website (which should have all of your information anyway)? It seems to me that the main reason for mailing/emailing something is to get them to feel like they are getting something special, that they should immediately look at. Otherwise, they might as well have just gone and looked at my website.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone give something extra in mailing and emailing packets that they wouldn't be able to get simply by looking at their website?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It all depends on your predetermined purpose of your mailing. One thing every mailing should have regardless of whether its a letter, post card, flyer, e-mail, video, etc. is a Call To Action. What is the action you want them to do by receiving your promo piece? What do you want them to do? How do you want them to respond? Call? Visit your web site? View your demo? Come to a showcase?

This path or direction should be decided first, then create they necessary promotion to make that happen and to establish you best chance for this success. Then each step should be focused on the emotion of connecting with them and bringing them in.

Too many people try to eliminate these steps and hope or expect people (the recipient) to book just off of receiving your promotional piece. This should not be the plan. This is only minimally successful. Yes, it does happen and it's great when it does, but rarely can you offer enough info in such a condensed form to create the complete booking action.

So the best way is to direct them how or where you want them to respond. This can be done in many ways from simply telling them what you want them to do, or by offering an incentive to do what you want them to do (coupon, discount, free gift, report, your mother-in-law, etc.)

This is a step process. You should not attempt to make your promo piece more interesting than your web site. It should be one step, leading to the next and so on, cementing in your message, image, USP and other elements more greatly or intensely with each step. Each step should have a bigger payoff and interest to them.

Just a few thoughts.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Once again MindPro... incredibly well spoke!

Everyone should read and then re-read this last post!

Thanks!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Just the thoughts I was looking for. Thanks mindpro!
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Mindpro,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

My goal for this approach is to get people to know that I exist and know what I do, whilst making it as easy as possible for them to pass my details on to clients who may be interested in my services.

In my head, my approach gets me talking, and in email contact, withthe appropriate person. The email details some of the phone conversation and expands upon the benefits (to them and their clients) of using me, including my USP's and 'finders fee'. I can them keep in contact via monthly newsletters or emails to make sure that they don't forget about me.

Do you think this is a suitable goal and/or successful strategy to meet it?

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You keep bringing up that 'finders fee' (aka - bribe), that will actually have little influence on them cooperating with you. I would never mention or offer that up front. You never lay all your cards on the table without assessing the situation. This is where your personality and people skills come into play.

It seems you are avoiding the sales interaction. Emails will not close the deal, if they never respond or the email is sent to 'Junk Mail' it will never even be read. You cannot make offers in an email and expect people to act solely on the email.

If you think sending monthly emails and news letters will keep them at the top of their priority list, you are wrong on this as well. If you are to be successful, you will have to call them every month at least. Actually talk or visit with them to build rapport with them, to get their confidence. Show them a trick every month and show them you have the skills to do what you say you can do.

It sounds like in your responses you are not open to the advice you say you are seeking. Mindpro gave great suggestions and I believe my comments as well should give you some food for thought, but you you disregard the comments and go back to your original post.

So go ahead, some people want to learn the hard way, that is fine, but you may lose a lot of prospects following your ideas. It your choice, why anyone post for opinions and then rejects all offerings is beyond my understanding. Good Luck!
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hegblini,

Apologies. I wasn't ignoring yours or Mindpro's comments. I read his advice regarding my approach as not being the final sell - which I am aware of. It was my intention to hopefully build awareness and that is why I clarified it in the post below his. Please don't mistake this for blind ignorance; it is not. I'm not in the habit of asking a question and receiving excellent responses only to ignore them.

I really appreciate the detailed posts. I shall concentrate my efforts on getting meetings, giving demonstrations and generally keeping in personal contact like any other business acquaintance would.

Sincerely, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

John
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I am also not such a fan of the 20% scheme as you talk of it. It smacks of despiration. Also, if the only reason they want to do anything for you is money, that is not the best relationship for you to have.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Just do it!

Gil Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How's my approach? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL