The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does a terabyte of illegal downloads constitute art? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Cue fair use discussion.

Let's get everyone on the same page, at least to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

For my two cents, I think the artist has a better than 50-50 shot to defeat copyright infringement charges. That is, assuming he did nothing else with the copied software besides put it on display. If he used any of the software for its intended purpose, my answer might change.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I wonder what they sell at the museum gift shop for that showing?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 06:47, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I wonder what they sell at the museum gift shop for that showing?


eReaders
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 02:44, MobilityBundle wrote:
Cue fair use discussion.

Let's get everyone on the same page, at least to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

For my two cents, I think the artist has a better than 50-50 shot to defeat copyright infringement charges. That is, assuming he did nothing else with the copied software besides put it on display. If he used any of the software for its intended purpose, my answer might change.


Man, I hope you're wrong!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 10:35, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 06:47, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I wonder what they sell at the museum gift shop for that showing?


eReaders


I was thinking they'd have drives with just the pdf.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You guys are missing the point. The "Art" here isn't the actual hard drive.. its the " interest" and discussion being created by the display and what it is. He wouldn't even really have to have those contents on the drive and still he'd have created "ART" because people are getting wound up about it.

Years ago an artist announced he was going to kill a rat and the blood stain was going to be his art. After weeks of legal challenges to save the rat the artist laughed it off and explained the rat was really his pet and the "Art" he created was all the buzz around the story.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Some of us are okay with art history and conceptual art. Including DuChamp's statement about a shooting.

The question remains about the drive and if that's art - what about wikileaks as performance art?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 17:49, The Drake wrote:
You guys are missing the point. The "Art" here isn't the actual hard drive.. its the " interest" and discussion being created by the display and what it is. He wouldn't even really have to have those contents on the drive and still he'd have created "ART" because people are getting wound up about it.


Don't mistake disagreement for a lack of understanding.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
"Art is anything you can get away with."--Marshall McLuhan
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 11:03, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
"Art is anything you can get away with."--Marshall McLuhan


It's hard to evaluate that statement without knowing how it was originally communicated.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 11:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 11:03, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
"Art is anything you can get away with."--Marshall McLuhan


It's hard to evaluate that statement without knowing how it was originally communicated.



Time bomb. Very good!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does a terabyte of illegal downloads constitute art? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL