The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Math genius (IQ=185) living on canned mackerel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 02:31, MobilityBundle wrote:

Just one little example, which isn't even all that out there. But it shows an interesting point on a progression:

I was taking a class in fancy geometry. It was raining very hard that day, and the professor shows up a little late and soaking wet. He says, "Sorry I am late. Today, I was given a geometry problem by God. The problem was to find a path from my office to this classroom minimizing the line integral of the rain's vector field. I... [bowing his head, speaking solemnly] I... couldn't solve it."

I was never really sure if this was just his joking way of remarking how much it was raining, or something... else. I mean, sometimes when mathematicians or physicists refer to God in a technical context, they mean "the universe" or "nature" or something like that. (E.g., "God does not play dice...") In that context, his statement makes perfect sense. Geeky, to be sure, but nothing too crazy.

On the other hand, there was no smile, chuckle, or other social cue to help smooth the literal statement over. So for all I know, he really did think God personally gave him a geometry problem.

One of the most famous mathematicians of the last century or so, Paul Erdős, famously spoke of "The Book". This is "an imaginary book in which God had written down the best and most elegant proofs for mathematical theorems". Every hard-core mathematician I've ever met seems to know of this. My guess would be that your prof was making some sort of allusion to it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4975 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
http://www.highiqsociety.org/ has 12,631 members.
Looks like there are some smart people out there...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 15:38, Kjellstrom wrote:

There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet. Seems to be that about 70 million people are smarter than 99% of us Smile

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
One of the guys who worked for me at the bank call center once tried to tell me a task was beneath him because his IQ was so high. I just said "Yeah, there sure are a lot of geniuses working at this call center."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 15:38, Kjellstrom wrote:

Top 5% for a high IQ society? That's like one of those 6-feet-and-under basketball leagues.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Math genius (IQ=185) living on canned mackerel (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL