The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Math genius (IQ=185) living on canned mackerel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Well, you know how those high IQ people are.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The craziest people I've met have all been mathematicians. I've also seen / met Conway a number of times, as he works with some people I know. (The two sentences preceding this one are separate and unrelated, don't go mixing and confusing them.)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"A study published last year found that out of 210 gifted children whose progress was followed into later life, only 3 per cent went on to fulfil their early potential"

Interesting.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
But there's only a 10 percent chance of that.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I like canned mackerel.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16238 Posts

Profile of tommy
Where do you go trolling for that?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I was considered a "gifted" child. I was found to be reading at a third grade level in the first grade so in their wisdom the Powers That Be decided I needed to be "skipped" a grade and was put straight into second grade (Because I was a November baby, I was ineligible for kindergarten.)

It was a total disaster. I was completely unprepared for the stress of second grade, or third grade the next year or fourth grade the year after that. I was an emotional wreck and a holey terror in the school. After fourth grade, they decided to hold me back a year so I could catch up emotionally with everyone, but the damage was still done.

In high school, they discovered I was reading at a college level, but they didn't do anything about it.

Today, I'm a Wal*Mart cashier and doing magic on weekends in the park and a local college street. So I guess you can say I failed to live up to whatever my potential could have been.

I've often thought, if I were ever to write my memoirs (not that they'd be worth reading) I would title them "Memories of a Professional Failure."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 00:45, ed rhodes wrote:
I was considered a "gifted" child. I was found to be reading at a third grade level in the first grade so in their wisdom the Powers That Be decided I needed to be "skipped" a grade and was put straight into second grade (Because I was a November baby, I was ineligible for kindergarten.)

It was a total disaster. I was completely unprepared for the stress of second grade, or third grade the next year or fourth grade the year after that. I was an emotional wreck and a holey terror in the school. After fourth grade, they decided to hold me back a year so I could catch up emotionally with everyone, but the damage was still done.

In high school, they discovered I was reading at a college level, but they didn't do anything about it.

Today, I'm a Wal*Mart cashier and doing magic on weekends in the park and a local college street. So I guess you can say I failed to live up to whatever my potential could have been.

I've often thought, if I were ever to write my memoirs (not that they'd be worth reading) I would title them "Memories of a Professional Failure."


I had the opposite problem. My Mom has a note I wrote in Kindergarten that says "Today we learned 'B,' as in Big Deal." I tested at a college reading level in 2nd grade. However, I was bored in class and didn't pay much attention. I still got straight A's but I was a little bit of a class clown. This led to my being diagnosed ADD and put into a special ed class, which is when I started skipping school and getting D's. Let me repeat, I had straight A's in a regular class and went to D's when they put me in special ed. Over the next few years I had issues with more incompetent administrators than I can count, one of whom told me I'd never graduate HS. It wasn't until HS that they finally tried putting me into the advanced classes and I got straight A's again. Graduated early and at the head of my class.
Still had trouble trusting authority though, thanks to all the problems.
Now that I've worked those out, I'm finally back in college and an honors student again.
So that vice principal (Sherry something, I think) at Libby Middle School who said I'd never graduate HS can Hilton my Hiltoning Hilton.
That goes for Mr. Billington too.
And I am Hilton sure gonna' get a good enough paying job that my kids won't have to go through the crap I did.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16238 Posts

Profile of tommy
Its no good knowing a lot.
You have to know more than everyone.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1618 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 00:45, ed rhodes wrote:
I was considered a "gifted" child. I was found to be reading at a third grade level in the first grade so in their wisdom the Powers That Be decided I needed to be "skipped" a grade and was put straight into second grade (Because I was a November baby, I was ineligible for kindergarten.)

It was a total disaster. I was completely unprepared for the stress of second grade, or third grade the next year or fourth grade the year after that. I was an emotional wreck and a holey terror in the school. After fourth grade, they decided to hold me back a year so I could catch up emotionally with everyone, but the damage was still done.

In high school, they discovered I was reading at a college level, but they didn't do anything about it.

Today, I'm a Wal*Mart cashier and doing magic on weekends in the park and a local college street. So I guess you can say I failed to live up to whatever my potential could have been.

I've often thought, if I were ever to write my memoirs (not that they'd be worth reading) I would title them "Memories of a Professional Failure."


LOL
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16238 Posts

Profile of tommy
If you had lived on a can of mackerel you would be rich with all that money you would saved in rent or mortgage payments.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 09:31, tommy wrote:
If you had lived on a can of mackerel you would be rich with all that money you would saved in rent or mortgage payments.


Chancellor Morton, I presume?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 02:25, tommy wrote:
Its no good knowing a lot.
You have to know more than everyone.


It's not enough knowing more than everyone if you can't conform. Knowing more just makes you stick out more.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I took an IQ test as a child. My parents didn't tell me the result, apart from saying it was "up there." Also was diagnosed with ADD and took both "special ed" and "gifted" courses simultaneously. I was also bullied mercilessly for being different.

Critter's right- the smartest thing a smart kid can learn is to never tell anyone how smart they are.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I've known a magician or two who lived liked that, but they didn't own their own homes.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Fish is brain food. Maybe we should all be living on canned mackerel.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Yeah, as a former mathematician, I can unequivocally say: mathematicians are weird. It's not even the brilliant ones.

As a math major in college, I would sometimes sit in on friends' economics or business classes from time to time. I remember being struck at how strange it was in the five minutes before class. Everyone would file in, wearing "normal" clothes, all with short hair, nobody standing out. They all read the paper -- whether it was the LA Times, the Wall Street Journal, or the student paper. The chit-chat was about nothing at all... what they did last night, what they're going to do tonight, etc. Normal stuff. It was so different from the math and physics courses I was used to.

I could fill up the board with stories about the strange ways mathematicians related, the strange things we cared about, or the strange logic by which we lived life. Just one little example, which isn't even all that out there. But it shows an interesting point on a progression:

I was taking a class in fancy geometry. It was raining very hard that day, and the professor shows up a little late and soaking wet. He says, "Sorry I am late. Today, I was given a geometry problem by God. The problem was to find a path from my office to this classroom minimizing the line integral of the rain's vector field. I... [bowing his head, speaking solemnly] I... couldn't solve it."

I was never really sure if this was just his joking way of remarking how much it was raining, or something... else. I mean, sometimes when mathematicians or physicists refer to God in a technical context, they mean "the universe" or "nature" or something like that. (E.g., "God does not play dice...") In that context, his statement makes perfect sense. Geeky, to be sure, but nothing too crazy.

On the other hand, there was no smile, chuckle, or other social cue to help smooth the literal statement over. So for all I know, he really did think God personally gave him a geometry problem.

It's easy to imagine how you have a guy who's really interested in geometry at age, say, 20. He focusses on geometry to the exclusion of all else until he's, say, 40 (roughly the age of this professor at the time he made the statement) and really sees the universe as geometry. And then by age 60, he's mailing bags of his own excrement to colleagues and showing up naked to their houses to use the bath.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
So *this* is where all the gifted geniuses on the Café hang out!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 10:44, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Critter's right- the smartest thing a smart kid can learn is to never tell anyone how smart they are.


No one really knows how smart I am... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Math genius (IQ=185) living on canned mackerel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL