The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Jumbo Card Act (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am considering seveal Jumbo Card tricks to include in a stage/stand-up act. My idea is to remove cards from the deck and perform some packet tricks, ending withe Jumbo Rising Cards.

Here is my list of Jumbo Playing card tricks thus far:

1. Sidewald Shuffle
2. 6 Card repeat
3. Homing Card
4. 2 Card Monte with double back surprise ending
5. 3-1/2 of clubs comedy card reveal

I have not been up on any new Jumbo card tricks on the market in the past few years. My question is can anyone suggest some jumbo card effects other then the ones I have listed above?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh I forgot 6. Four Faces routine, or the original version B'Wave was created from currently.

Really, nothing new in Jumbo card tricks in the last 20 or 30 years? Seems strange with hundreds of new tricks on the market every day, that no one would create a new Jumbo card trick or one that would easily tranfer to a Jumbo card trick.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Take the cards from a card box not the Houlette. Put them into the Houlette after doing a number of card tricks. The set up can be in the Houlette and the whole mess in the case. You put the cards in front of the set-up as you take the Houlette out of the case.

Jumbo cards to pocket (that's from about 1960 or so).
Bill Abbott's five card opener (a version of the six card repeat).

Supreme's Chase the Ace (which Rogers and Skinner used in regular card size).
Harry Anderson's "Three Card Prince" (made in Jumbo as I did since even "Prince" is huge).

Torn and Restored, signed, Jumbo Card.

Signed jumbo card to Wallet or mystery box (folded of course).

Zig-Zag jumbo card.

Tilt. The rip off of Warren Steven's trick using three balloons. The card doesn't appear in any of the three balloons but on the tray after the balloons, 1.fly away, 2. deflate, 3. pop.

Martin Lewis "Switch" (wrong jumbo card changes to the correct one after a light switch on the back is flipped).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Harry for your input, I will take note of these and I have a few of them in my footlockers.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I became fond of the Jumbo Comedy Split Deck combined with a meat cleaver to make it convincing. You start with a card stab through newspaper using a bunch (not the full deck) of a regular jumbo deck. Do the card stab bit to locate the selected card and under cover of the newspaper, switch the regular cards for the split deck. Then, joking about what might have happened if you had used THIS to cut the cards(here you show the meat cleaver) and "accidentally" drop it so it lands in the gap between the two halves of the split deck, still covered by newspaper. I use a cork board so the cleaver sticks in easily. Tear the paper away and show what happened to the deck. Then end with the comedy split deck, making the audience promise to give you a big round of applause if the spectators happen to match the two half cards they choose (and of course, they don't match) and before they select their half cards, you pull a prediction card from what remains of the rest of the jumbo deck that didn't get cut in half. You also get a promise from the audience that if your prediction card matches the cards chosen by the spectator, they will give you a standing ovation. You get a good laugh when the two halves don't match as expected, and you get a standing ovation when your prediction turns out correct in spite of that, which makes this a good ending trick.

Card Warp also works well with jumbo cards.

As for new stuff, if you were into printing and assembling your own jumbo cards, there's Qua-Fiki's "Ace Chaser" which is a version of "Find the Ace" or "Chase the Ace" as it is now known, but which lets you show each of the three cards complete and ungaffed at the beginning and end of the effect, as well as doing special effects with the back of the cards as in Paul Harris' "Twilight Angels."

You could also print up a set of Wild Cards and do Tommy Wonder's "Tamed Wild Card" effect, as you take time out for your "hobby." It's easy to do with jumbo cards and with a switch at the end, you are left with a pack of regular cards that may then be used for a McCombical Prediction in which you pick on someone who missed the Wild Card trick and who is the only one who doesn't know that you are using nine cards that are all the same (someone who was out at the restroom, or someone who walks in late is ideal for this).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thank you Spellbinder for your suggestions, they are very creative.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Just a few quick observations here...

Harry......."Switch" is a great trick, and gets a tremendous reaction from the audience.....I always use if for the ending of my Jumbo Card Rise, and, wmhegbli,just out of curiousity, which jumbo card rise version are you using?

Also, regarding jumbo t/r signed card....the best version I've seen is in "The commercial Magic of JC Wagner".....just beautiful.....but the book's hard to find...

Luckily I just found a first edition hardcover version in mint condition for $10............I was lucky!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
What no I.D. Jumbo Version in your sets?

Harry, thanks so very much for the excellent ideas. I think you shared with me an idea, using Bill Abbott's version many years ago. I had forgotten that one for some odd reason.

I loved the ideas as well Spellbinder.
Have a great day men!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
...Jumbo B'wave
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 20:25, peppermeat2000 wrote:
...Jumbo B'wave

Four Faces is much better then B'Wave, but thanks for the suggestion.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=112646
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I like "Pick Me, Pick Me Not" by Peter Duffie. Aldo Colombini sells it. It's also in lecture note form - easy to make up the trick, if you have some spare jumbos lying around.
JeremyTan
View Profile
New user
has magically produced
89 Posts

Profile of JeremyTan
Wow..spellbinder is indeed spellbinding! Nice ideas!
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/jeremytanmagic

Instagram: @jeremytanmagic
TikTok: @jeremytanmagic
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Four Faces is rather "fishy' as the cards are removed from inside an envelope.Spectators assume that there are different sets of cards in the envelope and magician simply pulls out the set that matches the spectators choice. B'Wave is a logical and smart upgrade as cards are visible from the start...to each his own Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Rocky, that is not logical at all, you can show the envelope empty and even tear up the envelope.

You really should own the effect before making false claims about a trick, that everyone has copied and made it a weaker trick.

I have performed Four Faces for years and it is a fantastic trick, much much better then B'Wave.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:
On 2011-12-01 19:52, wmhegbli wrote:
Rocky, that is not logical at all, you can show the envelope empty and even tear up the envelope.

You really should own the effect before making false claims about a trick, that everyone has copied and made it a weaker trick.

I have performed Four Faces for years and it is a fantastic trick, much much better then B'Wave.

As I said...to each his own.Good luck with your jumbo card act.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-12-02 19:47, Rocky wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-01 19:52, wmhegbli wrote:

As I said...to each his own.Good luck with your jumbo card act.

Spoken like someone who does not know what he is talking about, and cannot admit it when he is wrong. Four Faces do not have to be in the envelope either. Lance Burton took B'Wave from his shirt pocket, so can Four Faces be introduced with that handling. As I said, B'Wave is only a poor rip off by Phil Goldstein aka Max Maven, but it does fit the catagory of easy-to-do for beginners.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Mr. Wmdklebegljiki,
Forgive me for my failure to recognize the shortcomings of Max Mavin's (AKA Phil Goldstein... or is it Phil Goldstein AKA Max Maven...I can get easily confused in my old age) B'wave.
I am positive that your Jumbo Card Routine will be a hit with or without it.

PS Did you know that if you stare at your avatar for one minute and then look at a blank wall and blink your eyes really fast that an image of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will seem to appear??? Try it sometime...it's kind of spooky.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-12-02 22:37, Rocky wrote:
Mr. Wmdklebegljiki,
Forgive me for my failure to recognize the shortcomings of Max Mavin's (AKA Phil Goldstein... or is it Phil Goldstein AKA Max Maven...I can get easily confused in my old age) B'wave.
I am positive that your Jumbo Card Routine will be a hit with or without it.

PS Did you know that if you stare at your avatar for one minute and then look at a blank wall and blink your eyes really fast that an image of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will seem to appear??? Try it sometime...it's kind of spooky.

Rockhead, it is not nice to make fun of peoples names.

Yes, it is a real cross to bare, when a person devotes his life to the wonderful world and art of magic. Trys to impart his knowledge on those that do not know the truth and really wants to help make better magician to bring the art of magic to a high level.
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
266 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
If you do not like "B'wave" (or, for that matter, anything else I've created), that's perfectly okay. What is
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
266 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
(yet another attempt to post...)

What is NOT okay is the suggestion that I have ever "ripped off" material. In over 1800 effects published in the past 46 years, I have held to a firm set of ethical standards. Your casual libel is not acceptable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Jumbo Card Act (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL