The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Eclipse! by verne McCarthy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I saw this advertised on penguin awhile ago, and it looked pretty neat. Anyone have this?
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Haven't heard a word on this.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Yeah, I think Penguin discontinued it, but my god, the effect sounded awesome. Here is what I can remember of it. Please correct me if im wrong :

A borrowed deck is shuffled by the spectator, and the magician dumps the deck into a paper bag. The spectator is asked to name ANy card, and without delay, the magician reaches in the bag and pulls out the named card!
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
Eclipse is a Magic Max trick. There was a Magic Max store in the mall next to a hotel I stayed at during a extended project this year. I hung out there ALOT and knew all the magicians. During that time, (several months) I never saw the effect demoed, nor was it ever really mentioned by the staff. I am not saying that it's bad, because I really don't know. I just think that if it was really killer, I would have heard more about it. Another thing to keep in mind is that most Magic Max (card) trick use Fox Lake (not bicycle) cards.
Smile
F. Zandura
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Im just wondering why it was discontinued.

Oh well.

About the cards : It said you can borrow, so I don't think that the type of cards used matter.

Thanks.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
This would be very interesting to see demoed.
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
I have seen the demo and it was very impressive. What a pity it was discontinued. Maybe we could ask Oz?
=)
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I also cant seem to find it elsewhere.

Where did you see the demo at? I don't remember one being on Penguin, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
I shop at Penguin Magic and I also shop at http://www.elmagicshop.com. I just realized that at ELMagicshop Eclipse was removed from stock as well...I think there's something more to this then we know.
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
Awhile back several Magic Max effects where available on Penguin. They are all gone now, as far as I know. I know that Magic Max felt that the copied a few of they own effects. M.U.S.L.E (a levitation) is supposed to be almost exactly the same as something that penguin came up with (not sure if penguin effect sells it anymore). Anyway, it caused some bad blood, I guess.
Smile
F. Zandura
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
They have a video of this one at magicmax.com
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Thanks Kihei,

I might purchase this.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I bought this a while back, and did not have success with it. I practiced the moves and method for a few days, until I had it looking as good as the demo. Sadly, in the demo the spec is not going to point out a few odd things during the trick (like all demos).

It only fooled people about 1 out of 5 times. The thing is, is that they describe it as a closeup effect. In reality though, if the spec gets within about 5 feet of the bag, they will figure it out 80% of the time. I DO NOT like those odds when I'm performing any kind of magic.

One more thing, it is another one of those tricks where you will get it and say "WHY DID I PAY SO MUCH FOR THIS???!!!!" The ikdea is not a bad one, but the effect still does not work half the time BECAUSE of the specs pointing things out about the bag, etc.

My advise, don't buy it. This is just me though.

Regards,

Evan
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Thanks Evan. I guess I will save my money. 22 bucks is alot too dish out.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1165 Posts

Profile of bekralik
That Verne guy also came out with that Fire Alarm trick which sucked big time. I'd add him to the list of creators of effects to avoid unless you hear otherwise.

Brian
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
Fire Alarm? You are the first person I have heard that didn't like that effect. I heard rave reviews from a lot of people during the months I was hanging out the Magic Max shop. The only reason I have not bought it myself, is that I have two small children, and have decided not to get into any fire effects until they are a little older. Believe me, Verne has some good stuff. Not everything is a winner, but that is usually the case w/ most everyone.

Smile
F. Zandura
felix2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of felix2
Theres another interesting effect on the MagicMax site called the Darkstone.
http://magicmax.com/item.php3?id=1646

Looks a little like one of MaxMavens effects called Kurotsuke from his videomind series...If memory serves.
Smile
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I am just so curious as to the method of this effect. Its kind of like Braco's floating ball.Any more reviews? Smile
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
I also bought Eclipse by McCarthy and was not impressed at all. I would have to say that along with Just Think it would be in the top 2 worst effects I've ever purchased. In the future I will stay away from anything by McCarthy.
BritainV
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
1 Post

Profile of BritainV
Wow! I didn't know there was so much hype about Eclipse back in the day.
I used to work at a Magic Max store in Kissimmee, Fl before they went out of business and Eclipse was one of my favorite effects in the store (as far as Verne's originals go).
I would perform this every time I had a big crowd in the shop and would sell more of these in a day than almost any other trick in the store. Made for great commission!

To be completely honest, Verne Mccarthy was a genius with tricks. But there is a reason that the stores went out of business. Eclipse was beautiful. The working was so brilliant and simple. I remember the day that he performed it for me for the first time and before he taught it to me, he just let me stand there and think about it... He was very smooth and made everything able to examine. It messed with my head like crazy! When he showed me how he did it, I just stood there and clapped. But it wasn't worth the price. The effect was worth the price! The reactions were! But the gimmick was not. Though it is a brilliant effect, all you were paying for at the time was the effect. The gimmick and setup were so simple that you could make it at home in a matter of minutes and buy all the supplies at an incredibly low cost. We sold it at $27.99 in the store, and if I hadn't got one on sale, I never would have paid that much for it.

I left Magic Max at the end of 2011 to tour full time, and I kind of wish I would have bought up all of Verne's effects before they went out of business.

I hope at some point that he takes the best of his works and pitches them to another company who can really market them and allow them to take off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Eclipse! by verne McCarthy (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL