The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing rose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mantova
View Profile
New user
mantua italy
31 Posts

Profile of mantova
Hi,
I am interested in performing a stage routine with a dancing rose in a similar manner of dancing cane. I have tried to make it but I have a lot of problems that I usually do not find in the dancing cane especially in balancing the rose.
I do not like Viktor Voitko rose because is too long for me and it is not very natural.
Can anybody help me? May I buy it anywhere? Any suggestion in balancing it?
Thank you
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22249 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My suggestion is to make it like your cane same balance and method. The rose does have to be a long stem rose, otherwise it will not act or handle anything like the cane does.

I do not think such an item is available on the commercial market.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 11:21, mantova wrote:
Hi,
I am interested in performing a stage routine with a dancing rose in a similar manner of dancing cane. I have tried to make it but I have a lot of problems that I usually do not find in the dancing cane especially in balancing the rose.
I do not like Viktor Voitko rose because is too long for me and it is not very natural.
Can anybody help me? May I buy it anywhere? Any suggestion in balancing it?
Thank you

I think you should seek a different method than a dancing cane gimmick. The rose may be more suited for a dancing hanky gimmick. I could see the Waltzing Mathilda gimmick giving animation to that Rose.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
mantova
View Profile
New user
mantua italy
31 Posts

Profile of mantova
Well I tried a lot like the dancing cane. Probably a rosebud and the stem ( that is thiner than the cane ) create the problems that we usually do not find in the dancing cane. Really a tried a lot but it is not so simple..the rose has not a smooth movement like the cane....sometimes it lose the balance..
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I agree with Ian. In the past I have done various different things, including using a zombie-style gimmick to accomplish that, and m******c fingertips too, all with a normal length rose. I think the Waltzing Matilda idea would work perfectly and would also eliminate the need for an obscenely long-stemmed rose/flower.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22249 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mantova, you really have to tell us what kind of effect you are going for in your rose effect. The Dancing Rose will work if properly made, the other ideas above will work if properly made.

They do sell an Acrobatic Rose on the market much like Magic Ian suggests, but it is more of a Zombie effect and very limited in movement.

So you have to decide the scope of your idea and go from there. The thinness of the stem has nothing to do with the Dancing Cane principle being used. There is more to a Dancing Cane then you realize I guess. Sorry but I cannot tell you on an open forum, so I can only say get out your Dancing Cane and take a look at it or buy Lewis Ganson book on the Cane and he will tell you the features it needs.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2691

61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Mantova, Magicians is right on with his advice.
The principle used in the dancing cane would not adapt well to something as small and light as a rose. The stem would need to be too long to give the necessary balance to make it work, and as you know it would look very unnatural.
There are a few versions of the dancing rose available on the market using a version of the zombie principle, also as Magicians said the Waltzing Matilda principle is available on a commercial version.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1393 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
It MAY not work with a rose for various reasons.

There's a lot of physics going on here that people aren't thinking about. An object that is short and light will not make a good "dancing cane"... it's not about the weight.. it's about the inertia and momentum. The physics for a dancing cane is along the same lines as a tightrope walker.. the longer the pole the tightrope walker carries.. the easier it is to get across. The shorter pole.. the harder. The center of gravity changes when the pole gets shorter... and makes keeping balanced MUCH harder.

Then there is also the aerodynamic issue. The bloom on the rose provides VERY different drag than the stem aerodynamically speaking.. The speed and the direction will make that drag vary quite a lot.. making the rose go off balance during speed or directional changes.

The best thing to do is to make the rose heavier... not a lot.. but enough so that the momentum will overcome the drag of the bloom. The total weight probably doesn't need to be much more than a couple of ounces... but the stem will need to be as long as you can comfortably make it.. thisis one of the cases where the length DOES matter.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I just experimented with several methods. The Dancing standard gimmick has no control and wobbles no matter where I weight it or mount it due to the stem being ever-so flexible. That changes the dynamics after the very first movement. If the stem could remain rigid, or the petals didn't flutter, it might have a chance.
-----------------
The waltzing gimmick works, but is not effectively a "dance" move and zero control. It bobs up down and then ellipses wildly. The one method I was successful with (using a floral display rose), was using balloon sticks. This has lighting problems, but a 1' balloon stick tethered to just above the balance point works wonderfully just as a cane moves and also allowed me to have the rose spin as well as dance. The rose I used was a novelty lit rose with a battery pack and led bulb.
Now, this method, I have gotten away with, but the stick has to be held or mounted on a finger with velcro.
-----------
Again, Make-up guy is right about the drag of the leaf and rose head. The battery pack (without battery) was perfect ballast to keep the rose upright during the dance plus the stick was firmly attached and does not allow any wobble.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22249 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is a rose not a piece of wood. It dances and floats throught the air.

The rose is not a carnation, so the rose should be semi opened, thust cutting down drag. They can be purchased in the state at dollar and hobby stores. The stem, I hear, "I don't like it.", but there are long stem roses, call any floral shop.

The stem with the artifical rose is repalced with a dowel or heavy gage wire from the hardware store. It can be bent to look more natural if desired. After properly designed leaves are wired to the stem and placed for proper balance, a small hole is drilled for the gimmick.

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I looked at this as an interesting “poser” (Al Capp’s description of a problem that required some thought and probably didn’t have a pat solution). I liked Ian’s solutions and when he said they didn’t work I decided to take a more traditional route.

I make my own floating canes out of stiff rolled paper hollow, tapered, paper tube spray painted actually). So I tried to make a long stem rose using a similar technique. I used a silk rose from the dollar store (closed condition). Took it off the plastic stem it came on. I took out some of the pedals from the inside of the bud to lighten it.

I rolled and glued green tissue paper into a paper rope to make a long (13 inch) stem. I glued the silk rose to this stem and used two silk leaves glued down the stem to help balance the thing. I added a one-once fishing weight to the bottom of the contraption to give it final balance. The line (thread) is threaded well above the balance point (a needle threaded with the monofilament simply pushed through).

It sort of works. The balance is still a bit off. I can make it rise from a vase (a la’ rising pencil) and make it float to my waiting hand. I can make it dance between my hands (actually float from one hand to the other). I am not satisfied with the look of the thing and not totally satisfied with the effect. I give my effort a C-. Smile
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Harry has some great ideas there. One thing you have to keep in mind, which also may work to a great advantage here, is that a normal silk rose, and indeed even most real roses, may look small and not-so-visible on stage to an audience. If you beef up the stem on a silk rose or flower, say with florist tape and maybe tightly wrapped layers of green tissue paper (or some other light material that will lend a realistic stem look and coloration), you can make it more visible from stage, and the extra weight from the added materials will help add to the balance. Obviously this would have to be experimented with because you would have to place everything strategically, but this idea may work. I will have to play around with it myself and see what I can come up with.

Great ideas, everyone. I am sure that with the right modifications, the Waltzing Matilda could be made to work.
mantova
View Profile
New user
mantua italy
31 Posts

Profile of mantova
Harry, I am very glad you have tried...I did the same and the rose reaaly has the same moviment of the dancing can but very often it loses yhe balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xKV6XuZhM

I have bought the rose in the video above but it does not work. I do not know if all the roses he sells do not work or only mine! Indeed I will try again ...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1393 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Mantova:

Try adding 15- 25 gram fishing weight to each end of the rose.. I think you'll find you have amazing control... and that the whole rose will float MUCH better!!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
As stated right above, adding a bit of weight may help. I suspect that the balance point is off a bit too. a little adjustment and a little weight will probably fix the problem for you. It will take a bit of experimentation.
mantova
View Profile
New user
mantua italy
31 Posts

Profile of mantova
Thank you...I'll try...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22249 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-16 12:32, mantova wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xKV6XuZhM

I have bought the rose in the video above but it does not work. I do not know if all the roses he sells do not work or only mine! Indeed I will try again ...

That is my exact design I explained earlier. Another creation stolen from me.
--------------------------------------------

I will say the Dancing and Floating Cane is very difficult to learn to perform. It takes months of constant work to get the knack on the operation. The same goes for this Rose creation.

It may help you to find a song to perform to, as this also needs rythum in your timing to operate well for you. If you cannot get the Dancing part down, then at least you can do the floating between the hands and rising moves. The audiences like these as well.

oldi
View Profile
New user
switzerland
92 Posts

Profile of oldi
Viktor Voitkos dancing rose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRstE1uIDTQ
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Viktor's LEDs on a modified dancing cane looks nice but doesn't look even remotely like a rose. It looks like something that was made for the stage (as it was). Still a nice routine.
mantova
View Profile
New user
mantua italy
31 Posts

Profile of mantova
I have been working wuth dancing cane since I was a chid...Now I am 49. I have a good music for a dancing rose now...I hope I will be able to ssolve this problem...Thank you...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing rose (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL