The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Supermarket strike poll: (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Workers apparently will be going on strike at some of the major supermarkets (Ralphs, Albertsons, and Vons, I think).

A. I will continue to shop at the supermarket I normally shop at, regardless of the strike.
B. I will go out of my way to avoid supermarkets with striking workers during the strike.
C. I don't expect that the strike will affect the supermarket I normally shop at.
D (I guess). I will go out of my way to shop at supermarkets with striking workers.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
(I guess). I will go out of my way to shoplift at supermarkets with striking store detectives. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Remember in negotiation, "United we bargain, divided we only beg"!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
According to a banker that I ounce knew, the big supermarkets make no money on the goods they sell. They make money on the time it takes them to pay the suppliers by investing the take in the market in the meantime. If that is so then I think all a days strike will do is cause the owners to make the suppliers wait a day longer.

Anyhow I don't like chain stores nor supermarkets and would like to see them all go broke. I prefer the days when we had lots of little family run shops.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I wouldn't cross the line. Even if I didn't like the strike, I'd still respect the line.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
C-
I (mostly) shop at Fred Meyer, Huckleberry's, and Winco, in that order Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Stange world. People are striking and we have 10% unemployment. Go figure.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
C for me. When Safeway had their strike, it didn't affect me- because I hate Safeway. They ended up firing all the highly paid/good cashiers so it now takes forever to check out. I avoid shopping there whenever possible. Go Raleys!
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
A, C.

Trader Joe's and Fresh and Easy will keep me going til they settle their squabbles. As I recall from the last strike, they both, Mgt and workers, were knocked to their knees over it.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't think our Trader Joe's opens until next year. Now if we could just get a Whole Foods...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with John. I would never cross a picket line.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
I vote as well to generally never cross a line. Standard Oil mucked the beaches of Santa Barbara in the early 70's and I bet I've only spent $20 there ever since. Exxon likewise, after Alaska, never a dime. Of course, if they up and paid off the fines and judgements to them by all parties injured, that might be another thing. I won't hold my breath. I vote with my dollar. I hope the workers get what they need.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I concur with the rest of you, I never cross a line of solidarity! Good show mates!
I hope they negotiate and come to a fair agreement for both sides, until then, I'm takin' my business elsewhere.
Cheers,
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
How does a "Line" deserve respect?
You know why don't act naive.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-17 10:53, HerbLarry wrote:

It is composed of human beings making a principled stand. I don't have to agree with the stand to honour it.

John
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
So if I start a "Line" of people who on principle believe shooting Nuns in the face is cool and want to promote that idea you will respect and honor it? Inquiring minds want to know.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-17 11:17, HerbLarry wrote:
So if I start a "Line" of people who on principle believe shooting Nuns in the face is cool and want to promote that idea you will respect and honor it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you really think that I said or intended that the line was the most important ethical consideration in the universe?

John
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 11:19, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Do you really think that I said or intended that the line was the most important ethical consideration in the universe?

John

Did I say such a thing? No.
Quote:
It is composed of human beings making a principled stand. I don't have to agree with the stand to honour it.

John

I'm trying to determine how a "line" deserves respect. You replied with the above. I gave another example of principled people with a stand I hoped you would not agree with and see if your statement held true. Judging from your response I'm gonna go with no.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 11:10, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 10:53, HerbLarry wrote:

John

Quote:

I would argue that shooting Nuns doesn't meet the standard of a principled stand, as most use / would understand the phrase.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/principled

Synonyms for principled: decent, ethical, honest, just, noble, honorable, respectable, righteous, stand-up, upright, upstanding
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

HerbLarry, I have no idea how interested you are in thinking this through, because your examples betray a desire to win a spitting contest rather than rationally consider an ethical position.

There are usually conflicts in ethical considerations. One rarely chooses between absolute right and absolute wrong. The most important decisions usually involve weighing the considerations of a number of unclear choices.

That said, I am prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to a line of workers on a legal strike. But I think you knew that.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Supermarket strike poll: (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL