The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The "best" self-working trick (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
darho
View Profile
New user
Göttingen, Germany
75 Posts

Profile of darho
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2013, Adam Fraise wrote:
I have always liked Do as I do but I often get the feeling that people don't think it is very impressive. Never worked out why - probably the crappy way I do it!

I like to perform Michael Vincent's Kismet with a borrowed deck. It is a Do as I do trick with just one deck and it gets great reactions. Only basic moves are needed.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, darho wrote:

I like to perform Michael Vincent's Kismet with a borrowed deck. It is a Do as I do trick with just one deck and it gets great reactions. Only basic moves are needed.

Here's my take on "Do as I" with only one deck. I hope ou like!!!

Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Juan Tamariz has really good book about that, called, "Por arte de verbimagia" ("Verbal-Magic") that has a lot of really good "the magician never touch the cards" trick. You give instructions to spectators and magic happens.

Another really good one is Lennart Green's "Fingertip Intuition". I don't remember seeing that being used a lot, and is pure gold. I get crazy reactions with it. Be careful with presentation, you should follow some principles required for that trick. Also, he has a version of what I believe is called "Shuffle Bored", with his "Rosetta Shuffle", genius and messy!

And, I couldn't go without talking about Dani Daortiz.
He calls "self-working" tricks of "semi-automatic". He means that "self-working" tricks in the strict sense do no exist. You should always do some of the "work". Presentation, and maybe some misdirection to.

His "semi-automatic" tricks are awesome. I list some of them that I've tried:
"The mathematical trick"
"The 21 cards trick (for magicians)"
"Collection of Business cards" (Colección de tarjetas de visitas)
A poker deal that the spectator deals the cards (in any way he likes)
"Oil and water in the hands of the spectator"
hdejong
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of hdejong
The book "the card magic of nick trost" which can be found as a l and l download has some great material.

As far as tricks, simon's aronson's undo influence is brilliant--absolutely impossible to reconstruct. Shuffle bored can be very strong, especially if you use a divination presentation (with some memorization involved). Lennart greens the eyes of stonehenge is also super (and impromptu). Your other half by woody aragon is fun.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
For those of you who are familiar with my HOTOAC effect, you might be interested that at some point (hopefully soon) I will be releasing HOTOAC II, which I would describe as being about 98% self-working. It is also 100% impromptu, and can use any borrowed deck of cards.
lopike
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of lopike
Simon aronson's shuffledbored in try the impossible. Mind blowing.
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, Ricardo Delgado wrote:
Another really good one is Lennart Green's "Fingertip Intuition".

where can I find this one (book/dvd)?
thanks!
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I agree with shuffle board by Aronson but John Bannon has about 20 amazing self workers in his book Destination Zero. Every tricks worth study. Four sided triangle and perfect stand out to me.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
This is a great self-worker and I have seen it under different names but here is how it goes...give a deck to the spectator to shuffle, they start dealing cards face down to the table and can deal from anywhere. They can deal 1 card at a time or pull out a block of cards from the bottom, middle, etc, and they can stop whenever they want. Then they take the cards they dealt to the table in a mess and deal THAT pile to the table in 2 piles, alternating cards as they deal, mixing them up even more. When finished, there are 2 piles of mixed cards face down on the table, and they get their choice of turning the top card over of either pile. You show them that they could have chosen the other top card, (say the jack of hearts), but they turned over (say the 5 of cluibs). You have had a prediction in an envelope in full view you made before the effect, and you cleanly dump out the prediction you wrote and it's the 5 of clubs. Great self-worker. You can also do this effect a little differently using a D/F card as the prediction, so you dump out only 1 card from the envelope. Or you can write down your prediction.
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
@nattefrost
Sounds great...where can I find this effect?
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Macc- sent you a PM.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I forgot about Lennart Green's "Stolen Cards".....one of my favorite self working effects. A triple kicker ending that never fails to amaze people!
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Stolen cards.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
liormk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of liormk
My favorite is Geoff Williams' Devastation.
It just seems so impossible...
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
O Gemini Calling (Gemini Twins but a much stronger easier to follow plot with prediction cards instead of "mate" Cards)
o Simon Aranson's ShuffleBored is just awesome, and a MAGICIAN FOOLER.
o And this may seem really basic but "Follow the Leader" specifically Giobbi's handling seems to have a huge impact on spectators... like WHY?! haha they just go crazy In my experience! Just goes to show what works for spectators and magicians can be very different!

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
My favorite I use regularly is my effect "Dicewave" which is self-working and seems to get pretty cool reactions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zV_30t4SXg

My favorite one that I learned from when I was younger is still to this day the "Four Bankrollers!" haha
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Actually I would have to revise my comment to...

o Michael Vincent's Kismet (Found in his Lecture)
o Simon Aronson's The Trained Deck which is actually a full self working routine (Found in Simply Simon)
o Simon Aronson's Childs Play which is actually not cards but I wanted to mention it cause its a great full routine (also found in Simply Simon)

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
Nick Singh
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
133 Posts

Profile of Nick Singh
I'm a HUGE fan of jeopardy by Paul Green. Super simple to do and it's flawless.
Magician and Emcee in Singapore - www.nick.com.sg
Youtube channel of travel videos and podcasts - www.youtube.com/user/blackchilliwing/videos
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I've been going through Karl Fulves' "Self-Working Card Tricks" and two that I think I will be doing often are "Ultra Coincidence" and "The Controlled Cut". I really like the idea behind "The Controlled Cut" - seems like it could be very versatile (like used as a control).
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
John Bannon has a new DVD out on this that looks fantastic. Just the Demo trick will likely blow your mind! SO CREATIVE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The "best" self-working trick (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL