The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Drama and magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
I was just watching a movie and am reading a book called "magic and showmanship" by Nelms Henning.

I noticed something interesting that struck me. Everytime there was a sad secene, there was sad music. Everytime there was an uplifting scene, there was a "motiational, feel good " music, whenever there was a good scene the atmostsphere (music) was happy. Even the characters. Jokes were thrown in for good measure during the happy scene .

Most of all that interested me that I found very interesting was the fact that after every dramatic scene, there was a happy theme/atmostsphere. It made me come to a question: "Why is this?" Is it to bring the audience back up so that every time there is a sad scene there is a happy scene to maintain interest in the audience?

The movie seemed to dram me in and caused conviction to me, that is, conviction that the movie was (obviously) not real, the actors were not real (They were cartoons), yet I still felt involved in the movie, and engaged in the story through the acting of drama. Yet I knew that everything was not real, yet felt involved nonetheless. I think this is the key to any great movie or magic act. I don't know for sure but, maybe so.

Perhaps this keeps interest. Keeping interest it seems is very important because after the climax, the interest is gone. I think , therefore, it is very important to build up to the climax as slowly as possible. I do a trick that I really love but, the "climax" unfortunately comes at the start. Although its a great and amazing trick and I practice it more than anything, I think it is also important to not start the climax too early.

The movie was the lion king.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Eric Jones has some great thoughts in this too ...

I think magic to an "internal" beat and tune can make it
Very captivating
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 15:46, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
I do a trick that I really love but, the "climax" unfortunately comes at the start.

If the climax of the trick comes at the beginning, then you need to get some guidance on ways you might be able to re-routine the effect to move it to the end. I have no idea what effect you are referring to, but you might be able to work it so that there are a couple of smaller "beats" that lead the audience toward the "big finish".
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Drama and magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL