The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fred Kaps Ring Vanish from String? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I recently watched this video of Fred Kaps doing Pete Biro's 'Ring on wine glass stem'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5o_q60KJ......embedded

I am curious who created the vanish Fred used in the clip. I asked Pete and he said he thinks it might be a Scotty York move.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
That's a fantastic routine by Mr. Kaps. The vanish might be Flips though.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 23:56, motown wrote:
That's a fantastic routine by Mr. Kaps. The vanish might be Flips though.

It isn't Flip's move it is Scotty York's
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Do you know the name or where I can see it in print?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I like the way everyone thinks everything Fred Kaps did was someone other then his. He did create move and routines himself. He of course used a lot of material from books long forgotten by many, and things others just jumped over without giving it any thought.

That complete set of moves, is not in print to my knowledge, I will have to look at Scotty York's books again, but the way Fred Pulled the cord down as a double line, has to be his and his alone. Fred never shared much of his material with many. He kept most everything to himself. The little that is printed is from people who was lucky enough to know him personally.

Having now review the Scotty York Lecture booklet, it does read very similar to the video referenced. It may just be Scotty York's moves, I have not had a chance to go through the moves with props in hand.

The book is no longer available, as is most of Scotty York's books and lecture notes.
MrMagi
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of MrMagi
Pete Biro advised that it was a Scotty York move in the thread "ring on brandy snifter":

Quote:
On 2011-06-20 00:45, Pete Biro wrote:

On the BBC special he had a beautifully designed bar, one like you would find in a modern home, not a commercial public bar. Fred began with two spectators seated at either end. In his opening sequence he borrowed the ring, tied it onto a length of cord (very convincing handling—from Scotty York) and then he slipped a ring box over the ring while it hung on the cord in full view. The ends of the cord were held by the two spectators.

Cheers,
Mark
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Kaps died in '80. The video looks like it's from the 60's, maybe early 70s. When are York's notes from?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jedoonatmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
FL/residing temp. TX
228 Posts

Profile of jedoonatmagic
Does anyone know where I can find the ring on glass stem effect?
One for the money...., 2 for a pass..., 3 for a Fly..., and 4 for matrix!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Hank Lee sells a version of it, but I have never had one or used it. The original idea and method came from our very own Pete Biro, and as he said, he kicked himself long ago for not publishing it when he had the chance. Fred Kaps was the guy Pete asked for help in developing the effect. Kaps went on to feature this version on at least two different television specials. Unfortunately, there have been many rip-offs between now and then.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 11:48, motown wrote:
Kaps died in '80. The video looks like it's from the 60's, maybe early 70s. When are York's notes from?

March 1975
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 14:13, jedoonatmagic wrote:

Here is one article on this, there are others if you do a search on the Café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&40
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 14:13, jedoonatmagic wrote:

Read Pete Biro's post's in this thread he tells you exactly where to find his write up for his effect.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have updated and revised it. You can buy it at http://www.pete-biro.com in form of an ebook for $4.99 includes color photos, etc.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Ordered and received Pete's routine today.

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 11:28pm
If you have Lorayne's Apocalypse book Vol. 1 - 5, check out Michael McGivens ring off rope on page 330, called (Ring) Knot Really. Looks like a good possibility for the Kaps routine.
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have done a little more research on this sting and ring working and found that it is known as the Anverdi Ring Release principle, the working of the proving that the ring is on the cord is the working of Ray Grismer. Grismer method was published in a video by Jeff Busby. Then Scotty York worked with the method as well.

Ray Grismer is no longer with us, and Jeff Busby has been out of business for many years do to his health issues.

Does anyone know if anyone has taken over the Jeff Busby line of products? I see his Steel Mask is back on the market, so this prompted my inquiry.

Found that Internation Magic Lecture DVD by Ray Grismer has some ring and rope magic on it. Anyone have this DVD, and can comment further?
http://www.internationalmagic.com/acatal......DVD.html
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
The dvd Ring Leader with Greg Wildon contains a lot of ring and string material from Ray Grismer, David Grippenwald, Dan Garret, Scotty York, Jay Scott Berry, Earl Nelson and others.

Mikael johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Leo-Kim, my questions were in regards to the OP references and the exact working for the Anverdi ring and rope move. We are looking for the exact handling that Fred Kaps used in his Ring on Glass Stem trick.

I have discovered the exact handling that Fred Kaps used in the video, but it is not generally available on the market so everyone can gain this knowledge on the handling.

Thanks for your information.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v4148985AAJH826m?h1=David+Copperfield+-+Ring+On+The+Hourglass+-

Similar routine can be seen here.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Going over Scotty York's moves, I find they do not tie the center of the rope in a knot. All other moves are exactly as Fred Kaps uses in the video. So now we need to find if the knot tying is Fred Kaps idea or someone else invented the knoting.
MENNO ANDRO
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
11 Posts

Profile of MENNO ANDRO
In a book by Frank Garcia called: "close up magic part 2" there is a trick: "watch, look and listen". (ring to cardbox)
Here the knotingproces has been described.

Menno
the Netherlands
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fred Kaps Ring Vanish from String? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL