The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PRISM by Joshua Jay (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
mskowronski
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mskowronski
I am simply stating that they are not included and should have been for an extra 40 cents or whatever it would have cost. Do not get off of topic and berate.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Hefemexy said:

Quote:
"That's what makes proffessional different from hobbyist. They think outside the box and come up with there on ideas."

As a dedicated hobbyist I take objection to the suggestion that pros are somehow more creative than amateurs. After all, Vernon wasn't a professional, neither was Marlo, and both of these men were highly creative magicians. Some pros lack creativity (quite a lot actually) in the same way that some hobbyist do.

The only difference between a hobbyist and working pro is that one gets paid for performing magic full time, and the other knows the difference between their and there Smile.

It would have been better if the four Phoenix backed Aces were included with the Prism Deck, especially considering that the effect using them is the main focus of the trailer. However, I still think that this deck offers good value for money when you consider the usual price of a good quality rainbow deck.

Marty
hefemexy
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
I was simply saying to stop bashing and think outside box, I know more hobbyist who are way more creative than most pros. We don't have time to add new material or come up with ideas to add to the show most of the time.
Okay, I give up what was your card?

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

jayder
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
196 Posts

Profile of jayder
I've met Christian at blackpool magic convention a couple of times and he's a real nice guy.I'm sure if he knew the trouble it would have caused he would have added them in.All Phoenix decks have an extra set of aces in them so I don't think he's trying to cut on the cost of the deck.This guy has set about trying to help us magic guys and provide an alternative to the main stream card producers.I say give the guy a break.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Nothing wrong with being complete in a review.
1. Nice deck, nicest Rainbow I have seen.
2. In my opinion better described as a rainbow deck routine rather than a color changing deck. The reason I say this is because most color changing decks (one color to another) end with an essentially un-gaffed deck of the final color (maybe several cards to ditch) allowing you to continue your card magic. For this reason they are good openers as opposed to closers. Strangers Gallery and Ballet Stunner from Guastaferro come to mind.
3. To do Josh's entire routine as presented requires 4 red back Jokers in addition to the 4 red back aces. My understanding is that Phoenix decks only come with 1 joker (will know soon enough, I ordered a bunch) thus 4 additional decks are needed for the full routine. In addition as an aesthetic matter the using the 3 kings or 3 other odd back cards does not look as pretty since it is the 4 aces that are variant colors of the standard Phoenix design rather than completely different. This looks the most appropriate when the spectator ends with an "unchanged" AS in their hand along with 3 rainbow aces. This will make sense to those who have the routine. I do not think using the aces was an arbitrary choice on Josh's part.
I do not think there was "false advertising" but Vanishing prides itself on "complete" advertising. Including the cards or discussing what additional cards would be needed to perform the routine as demonstrated in the demo would have been reasonable.
hefemexy
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
I agree with Xcath1, and that was my main point, there was no false advertising, and you're right it does look prettier with the Aces on the video, but for people to blantly come out and say They lied, hurts not only the company, but others jugdment on weather to buy the product or not. There was no false advertisment,
Okay, I give up what was your card?

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
It doesn't seem as if it would have been that difficult to include the extra cards. But, then you wouldn't need to buy additional Phoenix decks.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Unfortunately what seems to be not that difficult IS difficult in reality. Ever wondered why you have 56 cards in your deck, when you would only need 52 or 54? There is a reason, based in the printing process. At USPCC decks are printed in the pattern of 8 x 7 cards, resulting in 56 cards per deck. In Europe, most decks are produced in the pattern of 11 x 5 cards, resulting in 55 cards per deck. The Prism Deck is printed in Europe btw. Anyway, there is no way to print decks with 58 or 60 cards.

When we planned the Prism Deck, Joshua decided to add the three bonus cards to add extra routines with the deck, the design and production was done months before Josh finally filmed his DVD instructions. As he is using the Phoenix Decks for more than a year now (can be seen in all his "Talk about Tricks" in Magic Magazine) and I am so used to Phoenix Decks anyway Smile, it did not matter to us. If this would have printed with Bicycle, nobody would have complained, even if you would also have to add aditional cards to it, but from Bicycle.

I just read the review of David Regal in the November Genii Magazine, I hope I am allowed to copy his writing (if not, please remove):

The Prism Deck by Joshua Jay

Josh Jay is a good thinker, and this deck/DVD package is one of the best values I've seen in a long time. The cards constitute a "rainbow deck", meaning all 52 backs are different. Josh uses this as a climax to a complete seven-minute card set that:
1. Contains clean, high powered card magic,
2. Almost never needs a table (one trick requires a card box to be set down, but this trick can be omitted), and...
3. Makes the deck appear to be comprised of 100 percent red-backed cards.

This card set is the result of careful consideration and routining, and the fact that you get the specially-printed deck and a complete professional-quality card act for only $30 is something special in this world of money-for-nothing magic. However, there's more. The deck comes with some extra cards as well as cards within its rainbow coalition of cardboard that allow you to perform over a dozen additional effects - not throw-away stuff either, but strong commercial items. It's like visiting a magic shop when you play the DVD with the deck in your hands.
Note that the full Prism act will require that you add cards from a regular deck, and as the full act requires four Jokers, and Phoenix Decks come with one Joker each (remark from me here: the new decks have two Jokers), do the math. Of course as this is a rainbow deck you can use any back design for your Jokers and "cover cards". I want to reiterate that this package gets my highest recommendation as it's rare to see such well thought-out, rock solid material in the marketplace.
Considerations: "The Prism Deck" doesn't have edges quite as smooth as a regular Phoenix Deck, but they spread beautifully.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Take four aces from your favorite deck and add them to your Prism deck, should you choose to buy one.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ToasterJack
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of ToasterJack
I want to try out a color changing deck for the first time, and I wonder how easy are the effects of PRISM, including its sleight. Thanks
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 17:00, ToasterJack wrote:
I want to try out a color changing deck for the first time, and I wonder how easy are the effects of PRISM, including its sleight. Thanks

Josh teaches his full routine, as well as an easier, more direct version using a production of John Bannon's, which isn't hard to pick up. The offering as a whole features basic and intermediate techniques, aside from one, but thath one isn't a necessity.
Also note that there is plenty of room to switch moves in and out according to one's preference.
snooopien
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of snooopien
Look so nice. Is it easy or hard to do?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-11-27 15:30, snooopien wrote:
Look so nice. Is it easy or hard to do?

Quote:
On 2011-11-18 08:01, Doctor D wrote:
The offering as a whole features basic and intermediate techniques, aside from one, but thath one isn't a necessity.
Also note that there is plenty of room to switch moves in and out according to one's preference.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
I love it. I get great reactions on the color change, especially with the cards in their hands. the moves are easy enough but they do require practice to be smooth with them. I put a lot of practice to make sure I was comfortable with doing the basic routine before I performed it live. I also love the Rorshock and Coupon Card effects.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
This may sound crazy but for those who have the dvd and deck, did you find the routine (the main routine with the 2 girls) was not properly covered in the explanation? On my dvd, the last phase where certain cards need to facing up to perform the final section (the colour changing part) there is not explanation in how to go from the previous section (the thought of & revealed card) to this.

I'm really confused as I can't see him making such a glaring error - I wonder if I have a dodgy dvd with a chapter missed out?!?!

Can anyone shed some light on this?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 06:54, martyjacobs wrote:
Hefemexy said:

Quote:
"That's what makes proffessional different from hobbyist. They think outside the box and come up with there on ideas."

As a dedicated hobbyist I take objection to the suggestion that pros are somehow more creative than amateurs. After all, Vernon wasn't a professional, neither was Marlo, and both of these men were highly creative magicians. Some pros lack creativity (quite a lot actually) in the same way that some hobbyist do.

The only difference between a hobbyist and working pro is that one gets paid for performing magic full time, and the other knows the difference between their and there Smile.

It would have been better if the four Phoenix backed Aces were included with the Prism Deck, especially considering that the effect using them is the main focus of the trailer. However, I still think that this deck offers good value for money when you consider the usual price of a good quality rainbow deck.

Marty

Yeah David Regal is a hobbyist also and is very creative and successful. I have been a "professional" for 25 years now and I also know how to spell that word too. Smile I am not sold on the demo though as there is too much editing. I would need to see a full performance to make an accurate assessment. Unless the effect requires misdirection not suitable to show on video?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I have this now and have some ideas for its use. I really like Josh's routine because, first, it's modular, meaning you can pick and choose sequences out of it to your liking or your need in the moment. Second, it's a really strong strolling trick that's different than the standard pick-a-card. Third, there's a build to the effects that end with the rainbow deck (in other words, the opening effect doesn't overpower the ending - it builds). Here's some ideas for us that don't have the Phoenix Aces yet and one I'm happy to share:

1) Start with the Prism deck in a red Bicycle box, flap not tucked in, in your right pocket.

2) Have a normal red-backed deck with the four kings on top of the deck. On top of this place a "vanishing card box" gimmick on the outside (this is a joker with the back of the card box/flap glued to its back).

3) Show the apparently boxed deck, pop the "flap" open and apparently remove the deck. Vanish the box. Move the Joker to the face and show the fronts and backs of the normal red deck. Flip the deck face down and get a break under the four kings on top of the deck.

4) Indicate that the box has jumped to your right pants pocket. Do a body turn to your left, so you can fairly remove the box (imply that it is empty - actually it has the Prism deck in it). As you remove the box from pocket, dump the deck in your left hand in your left pocket, keeping the 4 kings in the left hand.

5) Table the box as empty. Bring attention back to the "deck" in your left hand. Focus and vanish the deck, showing only the 4 kings remaining. Show the deck has reappeared in the card box. Proceed with Prism routine to your liking, using the kings.

Note: If the 4 Kings are Aaron Fisher's PANIC gimmicks you can show the spread of a red-backed deck in your left hand before the vanish, again emphasizing the color (and a full deck of cards). Ditch the PANIC gimmicks on the back of the box as you pocket it. Fisher starts by showing 4 normal kings and openly placing them in his pocket. These 4 normal kings are on top of the Prism deck per Josh's instructions.

OR: Start with a loose Prism deck in your right pocket. Bring out the PANIC cards with the 4 kings on top. Openly place the 4 kings in your pocket (per Fisher's basic routine) but instead place directly on top of the Prism deck. Vanish the deck per Fisher's routine, showing the 4 kings. Remove the Prism deck from your pocket. Ditch PANIC gimmicks per Fisher. I'm actually using this version now, but I am playing around with the whole "vanish the box, vanish the deck, kill them once more with the rainbow deck" thing.

Doug
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nice ideas - Thanks Doug!

Jim
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
Unfortunately Josh doesn't teach how he gets ready "under fire" to perform the color changing sequence after the mindreading part...

Also unfortunate he doesn't tip how he gets clean at the end...

You don't end clean after the color changing sequence... the cards are not fully examinable... unless you do some palming or cop, not taught....
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Can anyone comment on the quality of the deck itself? I've heard some negative comments about the deck warping after minimal use. I want to be able to use this professionally and don't want to have to buy replacements every couple of weeks.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PRISM by Joshua Jay (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL