The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham--Controlled Chaos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I bet we can find a few South Africans and Chinese people are would laugh and not consider it demeaning.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I'd have to see it first. I figure "ethnic" is a window through which the human condition is seen and commented upon in a humorous manner, whereas "racist" makes fun of the window.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
whereas "racist" makes fun of the window.

Or throws rocks through it.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Even better.

Strengthens the metaphor.

I'd like to think that, if I'd proofed the post, I'd've changed it to that.

-Philip
Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
I'm a fan of Dunham. I was at the filming of "Spark of Insanity" here in DC and that was fun and entertaining. This one didn't do much for me. You can't knock them all out of the park.
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
I think sometimes, it's about just being in the game.
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

You're right about that. Some people may worry about the material, some may worry over whether or not he uses a teleprompter, but in the end, Jeff is definitely in the game.

Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
Ok, I watched the dvd last night. I did enjoy it much better than the televised special. The racial humor was too much for my taste. I've never seen him go so hard at that kind of humor for an entire bit. It almost seems like he was trying to be more "extreme", but that doesn't work for everyone. Louis CK can do race jokes and he's just funny...to everyone, and doesn't hint at coming across as racist. Otto and George are maybe the best at that super extreme humor. Granted, it isn't for everyone - but I think it's funny. John Pizzi is a vent who hits hard at all races w/ Andy in his adult show - and his multi-cultural audiences love it. Jeff, not so much (with that type of humor).

I loved the extra w/ Jeff building the Achmed head. I heard him talking about that 3D printer on Opie and Anthony. He's a talented craftsman. I wish we could have seen him build Achmed Jr. or Little Jeff. I just like that kind of stuff.

So, regardless of any critiques from me or anyone else, Jeff is one of the highest paid comedians out there. He's a phenomenal ventriloquist...and he's still doing his thing after a tough divorce. I'm just a nobody posting opinions on the one ventriloquist section of a freakin' magic forum...LOL.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Those extras are often my favorite part of the DVDs.

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Have Mercy! I just got a digest from the other forum - they are still going on about the teleprompter.
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my DVD, thought it would be here by now.

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I should find that other forum, I guess. If it's the one I'm thinking about, the set up was kind of off-putting. Why do they care about a teleprompter?

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I don't know why they are so concerned about the teleprompter, I don't have the desire to wade through all that.
The other forum probably is the one you are thinking of, and I know what you mean about the set-up. At the time, email lists were great, it was something, but as forums developed, I found I liked them better, it's easier to follow the threads.
And I spoke too soon in my last post, just checked the mail and the DVD is here. So now I've got to watch it and listen for "racial" jokes, and look for the teleprompter. Smile

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I have, from time to time with a new bit, pinned a small piece of paper with topics and names to Louie's back. I've used teleprompters any number of times in TV stuff...(Though I don't remember using the teleprompter specifically for the vent act). Apparently these people don't care much for Saturday Night Live, either. Smile

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I've done the notes on the back thing, I remember waaaaay back reading that tip somewhere and immediately adopted it.
The best "prompting" one I did was writing a script based on the night before Xmas, and I got a big format book of the story, big enough for full sheets of paper and just had the whole routine written out and fastened to the pages of the book. I didn't even have to try to memorize a word of it.
Actually, I guess that made it more of a cheat sheet than a prompter, Oh well...

Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I made a "Christmas List" for Henry. It was a funny sight gag that rolled out about 6 feet and always got a laugh. And plus, there at the top of the list, were my notes for the set.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

There's lots of ways to hide a few notes, stuff like your list, or the book I used are great because you don't have to hide the notes, you got them right there.

So I watched the Chaos video today.
I also enjoyed it better than I did watching on TV, although I still think Achmed's time was too long. The part with his ribs really cracked me up. I'm sure that was all well rehearsed, but Jeff can play the "unrehearsed" stuff real well.
Achmed Jr. - thanks, but no thanks, I could live without seeing that character again.
As for the "racial" humor, sorry, I didn't see it. I saw "ethnic" humor, and while the jokes were just so-so as far as being funny, I didn't hear anything outrageous or anything worth anyone getting bent out of shape over. I actually can't believe it was even mentioned, but I know, I know, it's the whole....never mind.
I totally screwed up though, I forgot to look for the other most important topic about the video - the teleprompter. Rats!

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
IMHO, the whole teleprompter thing is a complete non-issue. I have decided to take a hiatus from that other board. Not getting much out of it as of late.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I know, it is a non-issue, I didn't really forget to look for it, I just never gave it any thought.

There was one point, during the family photos, Jeff said something, talking normally, and you would have sworn he had Walter with him because it sounded like Walter, and there was another time I caught that happening in another vid, just Jeff, no Walter, and he said something that sounded totally like Walter.
Now of course, I know, Jeff is Walter's voice, but we have different voices for our figures, often different ways of speaking for them than we do ourselves, and it's funny to hear the character's voice coming out, obviously inadvertently, during normal speech.

I've experienced that myself. One of my guys is a southern gentleman, he has a very very slight southern accent, but it's more in his phrasing and manner of speaking. I have caught myself at times, saying something that sounded like it totally should have been coming from him rather than me, only in my case, not the sound of his voice, but the way I said it.
Of course, I almost hate to say that, I can see someone non-vent wandering in here and thinking it's "the crazy vent thing, losing the ability to differentiate between himself and his figure....". But it's not so crazy, we create those characters, we practice them, use them, and it can be easy enough picking up patterns of speech from other people we're around or talk to a lot, why not from ourselves?
Or maybe it's just like Tom said in another thread, I need to take my medication daily. Smile

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Y'know...the characters are part of us...but they affect who we are, too. Sometimes we adopt a rhythm from a character. My best example is this: Since 1967, I've played Mark Twain in a one-man two-hour stage gig. I've studied all of his works, read about his method of reading and performance, watched the single film that exists of him walking around the grounds of his home and listened to a recording of a contemporary of his imitating his voice. After all this time of doing it, I detect Twain's rhythms and ways of putting sentences together in my own voice. My oldest figure, Louie, has been with me almost as long...and I sense myself...and Twain...in some of what he says...and I sense him in some of what Twain...and I say. Smile

-Philip
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Quote:
On 2011-10-02 06:01, blueshawk1 wrote:
I know, it is a non-issue, I didn't really forget to look for it, I just never gave it any thought.

I actually wasn't responding particularly to what you wrote; it was sort of a general comment. However, I'm with you. It's not worth it. I made the mistake of reading all the posts and found it a waste of my time. You are wise to choose not to even bother.

Quote:
There was one point, during the family photos, Jeff said something, talking normally, and you would have sworn he had Walter with him because it sounded like Walter, and there was another time I caught that happening in another vid, just Jeff, no Walter, and he said something that sounded totally like Walter. Now of course, I know, Jeff is Walter's voice, but we have different voices for our figures, often different ways of speaking for them than we do ourselves, and it's funny to hear the character's voice coming out, obviously inadvertently, during normal speech.

Funny, I noticed this as well. You can sometimes hear Bergen do this in some of his radio shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham--Controlled Chaos (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL