The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for the Cups and Balls. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
It may be a local thing, but I searched Hobby Lobby and Michael's both and couldn't find cork balls. The clerks just looked at me with a blank stare, when I asked. I ended up getting some Styrofoam balls that were dense enough to accept paint. They're about the same weight as the fuzzy balls with plastic sets, or probably cork balls. They're easy to handle. But I'm expecting cork might be better.

Good advice, Bill, on using the long needle to hold the ball while burning it. LOL.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've found the clerks at Hobby Lobby and Michael's to be largely unhelpful. Most of these shops have a section with cork boards. Sometimes you will find bags of cork balls there, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
Instead of mouse balls, which is what I tried first, I bought 5/8" ball bearings and covered them with leather lacing made into a monkey fist. The result is balls 7/8" that are heavy and will not roll too far on the table. They are just the right size for my Johnson Cups. I also made the same but used 3/4" ball bearings, these are 1" when finished and a bit heaver but they don't nest as well on my cups.

I used different color lace to cover them, red, purple, blue, and even brown for my practice set.

As far as getting an older look you could try plain leather boot laces. They would age well after use and get that older look and feel.

The only problem I have with the subdued colors is that they are harder to see for the spectators unless you are performing close up.

Good Luck
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is why you need to consider the color of your performing surface and the color of your wardrobe when you are selecting the balls for the cups and balls. Even if you consider yourself an impromptu performer, these things MUST be taken into account.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2011-10-11 13:41, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Old timers like John Ramsay cut cork to make his balls. In the "Requirements" listed in his routine, as published by Galloway, he states:
"Four Small Cork Balls 5/8" diameter. These are not perfectly round, and are made by cutting pieces of cork to the required size with a razor blade. This gives them a rough surface making them easy to handle and less liable to roll off the table. They should be stained with black ink."

I have attempted the Ramsey routine a few times (in practice only) and it is, in my opinion, absolutely needed to have the balls constructed in this manner. The method in which Ramsay conceals and palms balls is near impossible for the average persons hands unless the balls are hand cut from cork. They are less like circles and more lime 12 sided dice. They are also significantly smaller then what you normally see in modern routines.

-Lee
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 23:15, rsylvester wrote:
It may be a local thing, but I searched Hobby Lobby and Michael's both and couldn't find cork balls. The clerks just looked at me with a blank stare, when I asked.

I specifically mentioned Fishing tackle shops for cork spheres, not craft stores, big difference.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
I made monkey fists with small-sized glass marbles as cores. I used a pretty thin, white leather strip, narrowly cut, to wrap them. Through regular use, the white becomes dirty, which gives it a nice worn look that might fit your needs. I don't know when the monkey fist wrap was invented, but if I saw such a ball in Game of Thrones, or a similar period piece, I would think it fit the era. Because of the glass core, the balls have a lovely weight and the leather makes them easy to handle and palm. I chose a red felt performing surface for visibility with the balls; although they have darkened with use, they show up well against the red.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-10-26 19:19, Duaut wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 23:15, rsylvester wrote:
It may be a local thing, but I searched Hobby Lobby and Michael's both and couldn't find cork balls. The clerks just looked at me with a blank stare, when I asked.

I specifically mentioned Fishing tackle shops for cork spheres, not craft stores, big difference.

I'm the one who mentioned the craft stores -- three posts past your post about the fishing tackle shops. Pay attention.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Brett Sherwoods balls are nice, good weight to them. Wow that didn't sound right did it ?, lol
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Could wood stain could be applied to cork balls, without the color coming off on the hands? There are some nice colors of stain that could produce a unique look.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for the Cups and Balls. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL