The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Sil-Lic Trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Mills
View Profile
New user
Central Texas
35 Posts

Profile of David Mills
Good Day, All!

I ran across an old set of instructions for a gimmick'd trick simply entitled the "SilLic" trick on the instructions. I bought the effect years ago as a kid. I've Googled for it and am not finding it and want to know if it's still around, how much it costs now, etc.

The effect is this: performer shows an empty sheet of newspaper front, back, etc. then proceeds to poke holes in it, from each hole producing a colored silk. After each silk is pulled partially through, the newspaper is shown front and back and the silks are seen hanging through the holes. After all silks are removed the newspaper is crumpled and a stream of colored liquid / sand / confetti / etc. is poured from another hole poked in the crumpled ball.

Can anyone point me to this effect these days?

Thanks!

david
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello David

I believe one of the "Dons" (Tanner?) released this unique silks from newspaper gimmick with the liquid finale' through U.F. Grant back in the 1950's to 60's.

I haven't seen this variation listed by the dealers for decades...

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It has not been made for over 30 years. The new Grant aka Mak-Magic dropped most of the Grant line when Jimmy King Jr. took over. You have a trick no one else is performing, why not use it yourself.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This takes me back; way back (mid 60s). I couldn't afford to buy magic and made most of my own. I used to do this trick by gimmicking the newspaper. Two sheets of newspaper and some rubber cement worked as well as any special gimmick. I even produced a small bottle of coke (I was a teenager then) from the newspaper after the handkerchiefs had been produced. I produced five large rayon scarves purchased at the local Woolworth’s for about $2.00.

This is a pretty little trick. I’d say give it a rebirth and use it.

There is a version still being made and sold check out:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA4963/Silk......per.html
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The difference, Harry, is the vintage gimmick is set-up to produce a liquid finale'. There is no separate steal or loaded newspaper required to produce the liquid. (I don't wish to go into more detail in an open forum.)

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry, here is even a cheaper version without liquid finale from E-Z Magic I believe.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Silks-From-Newspaper-S11581.htm

I remember the original Sil-Lic trick costs about $15.00, way to expensive for me back then, and the local dealer would not carry the trick for some reason.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Julie,

I know. I have actually played with the gimmick mentioned. The post just caused this old man to take a trip down memory lane to a time when I couldn't afford even inexpensive gimmicks and had to make things myself.

I doubt if a totally self-contained gimmick is being made anymore. The link was the as close as I could come.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember the liquid part involved wax paper--I'll be it works a lot easier with Saran(sp?) Wrap or something else like that now...

J
David Mills
View Profile
New user
Central Texas
35 Posts

Profile of David Mills
Thanks, encouraging (and informed!) responses, folks!

Harry -- I looked at the gimmick on the web site you mentioned and it looks very similar to the one I remember. (Wonder why they would exclude the liquid part? Size?)

Anyways, thanks again for the pointers!

david
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
You know, I have often wondered what uses this Flex Seal Liquid Rubber Sealant that one sees on infomercials would have in magic with liquids. Quite a few possibilities there I bet...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Sil-Lic Trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL