The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Non mentalism books that are good for the art. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
I have read many books that are great for picking out ideas that can be applied to mentalism, either patter or effect. One of these books is "Read them and Reap" and expose written by retired FBI agent Jay Navaro and current poker superstar Phil Hellmuth. The book offers good insight on how to read body language and goes into great depth regarding physiological responses and being a human lie detector. The book is geared torwards picking up poker tells, but many concepts can be adapted to fit mentalism. Any thoughts or other books worth reading?
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
"Psychology of the Psychic" is worth a look - it's primarily a critical examination of the SRI investigation into Uri Geller.

Otherwise, anything that fits your premise - if you're presenting an occult front (for instance), I feel that you need to be familiar enough to bluff your way around Crowley at least. Obviously if your premise is less formal then there will be less available to research.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Anything by Borges. The master of creativity and inventions.
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
To piggyback off of what Billy said, I enjoyed reading "What Every BODY is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People" by Joe Navarro. Honestly, I feel this book is a good read even if you don't wish to apply it to mentalism. I thought it provided a lot of valuable information related to nonverbal behavior, which is always good knowledge to have (even more so if you take the "psychological" approach to mentalism).
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2011-09-22 09:28, nimrod wrote:
Anything by Borges. The master of creativity and inventions.

Shhhh!!!! Don't tell them about him - besides, I have a Zahir routine and others I now do.... shhhhh - although I guess its ok since most won't figure out how to translate it into performance art Smile

So I won't tell them about Cormac's stuff again either
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mathias435
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mathias435
"What Every BODY is Saying" I have read that as well, an awesome book.
I write on a site about how to be a mentalist.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Borges! My favorite writer after Robert Anton Wilson.

Enter the labyrinth! Where did that Aleph come from? Or am I only dreaming that I'm in an infinite library? (Or maybe I am just someone else's dream but I won't know until I walk through the fire and feel no pain.)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmm... I once started the Leonard Cohn Appreciation page

Maybe we should start the Borges one

His is the realm of metareality where if you think about it enough, ideas are transformed into reality...

Or such genius as Death and the Compass - where people's own intellectual arrogance can trip them up down into a mental trap of death... so cool

And we must not forget the garden of the forking paths... make sure your name isn't Albert

And a lament for the minotaur.

Heck, Borges even wrote a tribute to H P Lovecraft.

When I launched Carcosa, at the bottom of every page, is a quote from Borges.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Finding both Robert Anton (fnord) Wilson and Jorge Luis Borges mentioned in one topic here makes me very happy.
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Borges' The Lottery in Babylon (with a slightly different title) can be found here:
http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/borges02.htm
It is maybe less known than other short stories, but is one of dramatic power (as is Funes the memorious:
http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/borges.htm )

Italian writer Dino Buzzati is less known than Borges, but he has been a very important author in the opinion of many: often compared to Kafka, he is best renowned for 'Il deserto dei tartari' (The tartar steppe), a classic of existentialism. But his short stories are even better than that novel. I can only list some title:
- The colombre
- The drop of water
- The cloak
- The war song
- The fallen tyrant...

pity that the only English translation of these marvels dates back some 30 years, and the book (a collection established by Buzzati himself), The restless nights, can be only found on Amazon for 37 $ used (16 copies at this date).
Should anybody be interested in metaphysical narratives of experience, this one should not be missed. 'The drop' is in my personal palace of memory the most disquieting, disturbing, chilling story I ever heard. Nothing horrible at all: a simple drop of water, no more, no less..
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
Biovf
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Biovf
Interesting resources Danyel, thank you!

David
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Dino here I come thx danyl Smile
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
My pleasure as always.

Should anyone want to have some more, I just found Joan Taber's blog with a good introduction to Buzzati's works, and even the translation of two well-known short stories: Il mantello-The cloak and Sette piani-Seven floors.

The links:
http://papersbyjoantaber.blogspot.com/20......tic.html
http://papersbyjoantaber.blogspot.com/20......oak.html
http://papersbyjoantaber.blogspot.com/20......-by.html

Very sad stories, in the metaphysical sense. Similar to the existentialist mood of 'The tartar steppe'.
But believe me: go for 'The restless nights'.
Diamonds are there.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Another Borges fan here, especially fond of Funes the Memorious.

Thanks for the info about Dino Buzzati. I'll seek him out.

I'd recommend B. S. Johnson's House Mother Normal for the way he so elegantly creates a series of believable fragmented interior worlds using just a few simple phrases.

s
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Thanks for the suggestion -I'll surely check this one.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Passages by Gail Sheehy
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
If you are into occult I wouldn't go with crowley alone, there are much better resources. For history on witchcraft I would go with Gardner (the former curator of the witchraft museum).
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Charles Fort anyone?
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Works of fiction that have inspired me: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, and Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. Plus Alice in Wonderland!

Couple of non-fiction books: The First Psychic and Rise of the Indian Rope Trick, both by Peter Lamont.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Non mentalism books that are good for the art. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL