We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need new Vent figure head (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Oh.

Maybe that's where I saw it.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Why are Abbott and Costello coming to mind?
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Chuck Lyons sent me a picture of a Wubble for this thread;

Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Thanks Dave !
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Okay, so...it's a rubber or vinyl puppet...but instead of a hand in it to operate the mouth, there's a mechanical framework, with a stick and a lever at some distance below. Hm. Interesting idea. One can almost see how to build something like that. So the advantages would be: Lighter weight than a standard vent figure...perhaps more flexibility of the face, depending upon the sophistication of the framework within. Hm. Interesting. Wonder why nobody makes these things any more.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I don't think you get any flexibility of the face, the control opens and closes the mouth, that's it.
I don't think they were overwhelmingly popular, they didn't last long in the catalog. People either want a figure with controls for the eyes, etc., or the want the flexible figure they can put their hand in and get more expression out of it (this is all generally speaking of course).
Now if someone could come up with one with a latex head and could have moving eyes, mouth, blinkers, and on a control stick, that might have more appeal, but I doubt that's really feasible.

Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
You are on the right track Dave, only it will be in soft not latex. All the features you mentioned, moving eyes, mouth blinkers, eyebrows, possibly wiggling ears, are all coming soon to a maker near you. All on a stick. I am going to guess that withing 3-4 months we will have them available. That is nothing more than we have now, just everything will be controlled on a stick. For the old school folks that can't live without their stick, I think the possibilities are as big as your imagination. One thing we don't have now is moving eyes in the same puppet as blinkers. We can do one OR the other, but the space constraints have eluded us on both.
With the stick, space won't be as restricted.

I'll tell you more as it becomes available.

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

It sounds interesting, guess it's more feasible than I thought. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Yeah...I mean, I immediately began thinking about the Snap, Krackle and Pop rings you got in a box of cereal way way back when I was a very little kid. Each ring had a soft foam face. A bead below the chin could be turned, and the face with go through a series of grimaces...then combine that with the kinds of workings I've seen in prosthetic hands as well as mechanical movie "monster" puppets...and...hmmm. It could make for an interesting vent figure with a flexible face. Anxious to see what you've come up with, Steve. And, of course, keep Rev Bill in mind! Smile

-Philip
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
All I have to say is, "wubbles wobble but they don't fall down."
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
REV BILL
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Burnie Maryland
1028 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I am sure glad that I didn't get knocked out of this thread since I started it. You guys hit it right on the head. (latex head,soft,wood,doesn't matter as long as you hit it). I am excited about what the Dummy Shoppe has in the works for the future. I will just have to be patient. Thank you all for listening.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Hopefully somewhere in there, someone is going to be able to help you out with your wubble.

View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Dave,

Can you give us a little insight as to the most versatile setups on a stick. What finger is best for what control. We are assuming the thumb is the mouth. I know there is no set standard, but we would welcome input from everybody on the most popular arrangement.
Thanks,

Steve

www.thedummyshoppe
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Jim just asked about this in the New basswood head carving thread, Keith had posted this;
"I asked Alan Semok to set up my new dummy the way I prefer, and he said that that would be no problem. I asked him how many prefer the different set-ups, and he told me that about 50% of his clients prefer to control the mouth with the thumb and 50% prefer to use the index finger. He also said that most Marshall figures were set up to have the mouth thumb-controlled."
So it looks like it could go either way. I've never been particular as far as buying a stock or used figure, but if I had one made for me, I would probably go with the thumb for the mouth.

View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Thanks Dave

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I've got figures set up both ways. Thing is, if you use two figures at once, it's good to have the control designed so it can be used comfortably with either thumb or finger, just in case the order of your routine changes. Sometimes that's a little tough if there are other controls as well.

-Philip
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
The wubblrs heads (if I recall) moved in a strange way...
Didn't the TOP of the head move up and down while the jaw
Was static??
REV BILL
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Burnie Maryland
1028 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
"Didn't the TOP of the head move up and down while the jaw Was static?? "
That is correct. Index finger control on the stick. The lower jaw moves very little. --Rev.Bill
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
REV BILL
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Burnie Maryland
1028 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I do not know how to fix latex vent figures. So tell me if this will or will not work. 1. lift up the glued wig from the back of the neck. It is coming loose anyway. 2. Make an incision thru the back of the head to get to the inside. 3. Fixate a "beanbag: type of material into the lower jaw to expand it to a fuller face look. Its kind of like what Marlon Brando did to play the Godfather. If you think this will work and you can do it let me know.--Bill
REV BILL
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Burnie Maryland
1028 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
Does anybody have any response?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need new Vent figure head (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL