The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Compliment Ever? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I was working a library gig again today for free. It was a small event where public services, such as firetrucks, post office workers, bulldozers, etc. were showcasing their vehicles to little kids and then they would come over to me and watch me perform magic.

Great day, event, etc. It was so fun just talking to the adults and then performing for the kids. As a matter of fact, I think the adults liked watching my acts just as much as the kids. The adults would come up to me and say something like, "Hey, I saw you perform such and such trick on that kid, can you show it to me?" The adults wanted ot see more magic then the kids!!!!

Anyways, one of the adults asked me how much I charge for a show. I told her that I have never been piad for a show. My first paid gig is actually coming up in November, and they are paying me as they wish....not a charge rate. And so the adult said that her daughter has a birthday party coming up in October and would like me to perform. We agreed on $20 for a half-hour show.

My question is, how much do you guys charge for a show? I know the question is asked so many times....but seriously, how much should I charge? Dollar a minute for a parlour type show? I think for my first paid gig, half-hour and $20 is a good deal to get started in a paid gig. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Oh wow, I completely forgot the point of the topic. I recieved a great compliment from one of the other adults. They said they loved how enthusiastic I was while performing and how much I got into it with the kids....and adults. They recognized my passion and love for performing and entertaining. That...is a great compliment!!!!
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Congratulations on getting a paid gig. I think the first paid gig I did at 16 or so was probably for $30-40. That same gig today I would charge in excess of $500. The point is, you should charge what you feel comfortable pitching to the client. If you are planning on charging $100, and you're nervous about doing it, then it's too high. Clients respond to confidence, especially when you state your fee.

Professional children's magicians tend to charge anywhere from $75-250 for a standard kid's show. I'm sure there are those who charge higher or lower, but I think my range is a fair one.

For you, if you're happy with $20, then I say kudos. Do the show and learn from it. As you develop a better show and have more requests for paid work, you can up your fee as you feel comfortable.

As of right now, go have fun, and relish the fact that someone offered to pay you to do magic.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
$20 for a first gig, probably isn't bad, provided you don't have to travel far and are still pretty much a beginner. Even back in the 70's I was getting $300 for a half hour birthday show (I really didn't like doing birthday parties and did very few of them, I specialized mostly in school shows that paid much better). We all have to start someplace, but when it comes to pricing you have to take into account your costs. Your props cost you money and with use will have to be replaced, you will have to pay taxes, you will have to in some venues get a business license, you will have to keep paperwork, you will have to add new effects over time, you will have to travel, you may eventually include animals and their cost and upkeep has to be calculated in. You may use an assistant and they will need to be paid. Then you must travel to and from your show. All of that costs you money and you aren't making any until you meet those costs. Plus, in all of this you have to consider the cost of your time. When you are out doing magic shows your lawn isn't being mowed, your care isn't being washed, your household chores aren't being done, thus you must use other time which you had available to you for leisure , sleep, or other efforts which could have produced income for you. Time costs you money either in lost opportunity or in having to hire somebody to do some of the things you could have done yourself. You will find many people out there who feel that $20 is too much to pay a magician, they even want you to do it for less or for free. At current gas prices a round trip across town could easily run you $20 just in gas, let alone wear and tear on your car.
Being cheap might get you gigs, but why do you want to pay money out of your pocket so someone can have free or cheap entertainment at your expense?
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Go man, go.

Everyone will tell you to charge more,
but you alone will have to decide what you're worth.

Sometimes making money is not as important
as making friends.

You'll see.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't think that I'll have to pay for anything....gas and props are covered for already. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
You should check and see what others are charging in your area.

Entertainment prices are all local. But price also conveys value. If you charge $20 and another magician in town (within a 2 HR drive) charges $100, then they MUST be 5 times better than you.

Also, remember you are not just charging for a 30 minute show. You are charging for the time you put into preparing for the show, materials you may consume (party favors?), and travel to and from the show.

Congratulations on the complement - I think someone asking you to do a show after seeing your work is the best complement! Well done.

Hudson
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
$20 is fine for a first show. You might mention to the parent that you gave them a great price because they are helping you get started and you would really appreciate it if they would post some comments on Facebook for you and maybe a few pictures.

You're still working out the format of your show. Don't worry about the price until you are pretty confident that you have a solid show. Right now you'd almost pay them for the experience you'll get.

BrianMillerMagic is right about pricing. I don't remember what I got for my first show but after a short while it was up to $85.00 which seemed like a lot to me. It's gone up steadily since then although it's stalled a bit lately.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
The one thing that comes out loud and clear all over the place is that the economy is hurting everyone.....give them a bargain for the twenty bucks and move on from there....as mentioned above, make sure you tell them they're getting a fantastic price to get all the mileage you can.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
For $20 they got a great deal.

You charge what you think you're worth. After that $20 show, you will never charge $20 again because you will be worth a lot more now. I hope they tip you!
Life of Magic!
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
I don't how the Magicians feel about it, but in my area the Musicians can get testy with bands that don't charge the going rate. They feel that all it takes is a few undercutting bands to play at a reduced rate to end up reducing the pay rate for all bands.

-Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Compliment Ever? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL