The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon pump problem: Please advise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
Twisters,

I am in urgent need of advice. I started my Saturday gig by getting my hand-held Qualatex pump (the red plastic one with the space in the handle for extra-balloons). I started to pump but the balloon was inflating much slower than it should. "Must have a hole," says I. I get a different balloon and the same thing happened. After about six new balloons and the same result, I concluded that something is wrong with the pump. If I pumped very quickly, I can get the balloon inflated, but it's not like it should be. So I switched to my back-up pump (if only I had the lung capacity to blow by mouth). Every time I returned to the Qualatex and tried it, the result was the same. However, after about 45 minutes, the problem corrected itself, and the Qualatex pump worked like new. I'm really stumped and would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and what the problem is. I imagine I'm going to buy another Qualatex pump to have as a back-up and hope that at least one of them will work when I need it).
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Best,
Zipper

Please PM me so that I'll be sure to get your information.
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Specifically, I don't know the exact problem because I've never seen the inside of one. But I can tell you that this sort of thing happens from time to time with these. Good news is they are cheap and as hand pumps go, pretty good. I keep about a dozen on hand. Just keep a spare in the bag. When one goes "screwy" and only works sometimes, toss it or just use it at home. I personally have a Filbert pump, and I keep a Qualatex pump on hand as a back-up. I've never needed it. I have 3 Filberts.
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
Jay,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and helpful information. I guess I'll get a spare or two and hope for the best. (I think I'll do some research on the Filbert pump and get one for my very own.)

Best,
Zipper
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Go to http://www.balloonartmart.com and buy Billy Damon's battery operated pump! The best purchase I have EVER made!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
Christopher,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to head over to the site now.

Best,
Zipper
rjones683
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of rjones683
I have used the Majiloon pumps for the last 5 years. I now have three of them and would not leave the house without them. Of course I have one of TMyers hand pumps as a backup.
http://www.majiloon.com/

Regards,
R
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3091 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I believe the hand pumps have several small rubber valves. Basically flaps that cover a hole and only allows air to travel one way. Those valves could get stuck open by a small piece of debris or they could warp or get stuck in a funny position.

You were smart to have a back up. Since you don't blow them up by mouth you should probably have two back ups. Qualatex makes a very small one that you could keep in your glove compartment strictly for emergencies.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
The red pump has no valves. It is a simple single action pump. Check out the mini mac lite.
http://www.macpump.net
rjones683
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of rjones683
Hello,
I believe that these pumps also have a rubber ring at the top where the nozzle and the body un-screw. You should clean this and make sure that it is positioned correctly. You also need to clean out the inside of the pump as it can collect dust and dirt.
Regards,
R
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
451 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I love Filbert pumps!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon pump problem: Please advise (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL