The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Don't Get Discouraged! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Great shows not only rely on the performer's talent as a magician and entertainment skills, they are also reliant on a certain energy level and the exchange of it with their audiences.

You can have excellent shows and then get yourself discouraged if the audience didn't respond in kind with loads of dough. Do remember that sometimes folks aren't carrying cash and may be using plastic to get through the day.

IF you have a great show and your hats were slim, it may or may not be a reflection of your programme, so it's always best to count the days fill of the hat and not get tempted to count the hats individually. This will keep you from carrying the negative thoughts into your next set.

Remember don't be tempted to count the cash, shove it away into your stash and leave the count for the days end mates.

There are loads of other ideas and tips for remaining focused and staying positive.
Please share yours as well.
All the best,
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
All good tips.

I never count the hat until I'm back home. I make sure to thank the person giving, or at the very least make eye contact, smile and nod if I'm in the middle of patter.

Some days are better than others, go with the flow of the energy and the crowd. What played well 15 mins ago may not 5 mins from now!

Be flexible and keep at it.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
Then again, if you don't track your money how do you know when you've hit your goal?

Or do smiles and good feelings pay the bills where you are?

The big question....HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU NEED WORK if you don't reflect on each and every show?

Not keeping track of your day and blaming bad hats on different things other than YOURSELF is nothing more than another way to re-inforce your own mediocrity. You just keep telling yourself that it's THEIR fault or some othe reason you're not getting paid and before long you'll be just like all the others!
TERRIBLE and DELLUSIONAL performers built with excuses and too much access to the internet.

So either keep making excuses and posts or get to work making your show better.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:

Yes...and stay out of my neck of the woods!
You know why don't act naive.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Wow, Bobby... bitter much?

Way to downside what was an uplifting, encouraging post.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 08:46, Bobby Maverick wrote:
Then again, if you don't track your money how do you know when you've hit your goal?

Hmmmmm.....So, what are/should be our goals???
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 08:46, Bobby Maverick wrote:

The big question....HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU NEED WORK if you don't reflect on each and every show?

Not keeping track of your day and blaming bad hats on different things other than YOURSELF is nothing more than another way to re-inforce your own mediocrity. You just keep telling yourself that it's THEIR fault or some othe reason you're not getting paid and before long you'll be just like all the others!
TERRIBLE and DELUSIONAL performers built with excuses and too much access to the internet.

So either keep making excuses and posts or get to work making your show better.

Mr Maverick, please go back an re-read my original post. I didn't say don't count your hats, I said, count them at the end of the day, not at the end of each set.

Who in particular would you say is, TERRIBLE and DELUSIONAL with too much access to the internet?

Do try to lighten up Mr. Maverick, we're only trying to help one another, not steal each other's pitch. No one here claims to know everything, least of all this Marine.

Let's also try to mentor in manners, never mind the cups and balls. We're all just havin' fun! NO more no less. This isn't life or death.
All the best,
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Ok, I may be one of the self deluded, but I'm going to chime in anyhow.

What I got from Bobby's post was that if you do not check each hat you do not know if it was a good show or a poor one. You may have four good looking hats full, but if three times they are all small and once it was big bills, you may want to know which show was the "good" one and specifically what was different. Or if you do several shows and get poor results you should try to find a better pitch before you waste the whole day.

I better shut up because Bobby does not live too far away, and he could come up here and kick my ... ya know.

jmk
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I'd hang it up if I had to count to find out how a show went.
Oops, I just let some of the air out of my money grubbing, tight fisted, that's my kale in them there pockets, better not steal my spot/lines persona.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Lol...

Fellas, fellas....slow up a minute.

What I'm saying is that IF you set goals for your day, then 'how do you know when you hit them?'

I'm not trying to downside an encouraging post, I'm actually just a bit of reality to it.

Also, EKUTH I'm not bitter by any means so don't go and try to make it sound that way. You don't know me, and if you did you would know I'm only trying to help.

Manuel, you kinda got it right. The money isn't as important, it's more like scoring yourself. It's important the time you take to reflect after EVERY show, and if you just happen to know how much you made then you know what kind of pace you need and should set for yourself to hit the afformentioned goal. And why would you think such a thing about me kicking your " "? I'm not a violent person by any means! Lol!

I'm trying to make a point that if you do not actually try to learn from each and every show, then you shouldnt be out there, because you've obviously gotten as good as you're going to get. Hence TERRIBLE AND DELUSSIONAL. Not getting any better nor thinking one needs too is a disease I see in a lot of performers everywhere.

Sad but true.

STPERFORMER- As for those goals, it's up to the individual. Everyone has their own goals, but go ahead and tell me you don't have a nut to hit in the process and I will tell you to get off the pitch because there are those of us that do.

Guys, I'm not out to holler at people, or tell everyone they're wrong. I'm just cruising through here trying to have a good read, to learn, and to help when I can.

Devious, don't think I'm out to get ya man. Just giving you the truth as I know it.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Let's say you have a crowd of 50 people. You hat it at the end, all singles and you wind up with $20.
Next show you have a crowd of 50 people. You hat it at the end, you wind up with $20 - four $5 bills.

Which would you say was the better show...or were they equal?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I don't know...you ride a Harley now Smile

But really you are the real deal in my book. I was talking about magic to someone at the dog park and they remembered you at the duct tape fest. You're the Michael Stanley of the local magic scene.

I feel people who critisize successful people are mostly chewing sour grapes. The price of fame.
So don't let da bums get you down.

Keep doin it!
jmk
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 09:59, EVILDAN wrote:
Let's say you have a crowd of 50 people. You hat it at the end, all singles and you wind up with $20.
Next show you have a crowd of 50 people. You hat it at the end, you wind up with $20 - four $5 bills.

Which would you say was the better show...or were they equal?

You...you...you are on to something there.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 08:46, Bobby Maverick wrote:
Also, EKUTH I'm not bitter by any means so don't go and try to make it sound that way. You don't know me, and if you did you would know I'm only trying to help.

Well, not only me but four other posters and Devious got that message loud and clear, so don't make me the fall guy for your bad attitude. If that wasn't your message, then you need to read what you write before you hit "submit".

Remember (and I've been on both sides of this error) text does NOT convey emotion accurately. It lacks the contextual cues of voice and body language, so what may be tongue in cheek to you comes off completely differently to others.

Also, stating that we are mediocre and:

"TERRIBLE and DELLUSIONAL performers built with excuses and too much access to the internet... making excuses and posts..."

Is not gonna win you any points. It's a direct attack on the posters and difficult to construe in any other way.

So I suggest you take a smidgen of your own advice and stop blaming others for 'misinterpreting' your message.

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

That said, I've said what I meant to say and meant what I said; and I'm out.

Good post, Devious. Hopefully it will get back on track now...
Chris Capstone
View Profile
Regular user
Tulsa, OK
107 Posts

Profile of Chris Capstone
I feel I must measure results in order to improve. Whatever I measure will improve. The more kinds of measurements, the better. The more frequently I measure, the better.

For each show I try to keep track of:

Time of day

Weather conditions

Time it takes to draw the crowd

Size of crowd

Number of tippers

Denominations & combinations of bills

Total dollars per show

Anything else that I feel affected the outcome, like the ratio of adults to kids.

I use this info to make adjustments. This may seem like a lot to track but it's really not. Just a few quick abbreviated notes jotted down.

Of course there is a danger of using the info to find an excuse for something that was really my fault. However, my wife is great at keeping that from happening!

I spent 12 years performing in the same restaurant. One of the smartest things I saw the managers do over the years was keep a journal of additional info to help them understand the changes in sales from day to day. They recorded the weather, coupon distributions, and other events that might have affected sales like a big football game on TV. This additional data helped to interpret the sales numbers.

I always have a goal for the day and try to stay on track to hit it. It can keep me from going home early when I'm tired. Some of my best hats have come just after a show that made me want quit for the day. If I hadn't been keeping track of where I was for the day, I might have gone home and missed out on a big hat.

I'm not saying everyone should do this, but this works for me.
Chris Capstone
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Smile

Chris, you get it!

Ekuth, once again I guess we're a bit crossed up. It's alright though, everyone has a right to their opinion.
No worries at all.

Best,

Bobby
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
No harm, no foul. Was a little testy this morning... sleep deprivation does terrible things to a person and I'll be the first to admit I can be an *** at times and jump the gun.

Been chewing on my reply all day (guilt) and was gonna go back and edit/delete once I got home... so, I'll tender my apologies now instead.

Thanks for being a stand up guy about it; that's a rare quality nowadays. Shows you've got class in my book.

Best of luck out there, bro.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

It's about paying attention, listening, watching, doing, and learning. This is how a performer gets great.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Amen Bobby

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 13:13, chriscapstone wrote:

This may seem like a lot to track but it's really not. Just a few quick abbreviated notes jotted down.

I have to agree; its not a lot of work. Would say that any performer worth their salt would do this subconsciously at certain levels anyway? These are some solid points that Chris mentioned, which I say because they ring a bell when I read his post. Plus, I picked up one or two that I might have overlooked before. (Thanks!!).

I keep a log of the same things, which I quickly do before I start my pitch. Then when I am done my shift, I fill in the rest in reflecting on what has occurred. Breaks up the time traveling back and forth on the subway...

I found that identifying a problem though, is the easy part. Finding the solution can be hard to come by. I find myself scouring books, videos, and forums to find the answers, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Other times I learn from trial error. Another way is to ask someone to see what your doing and get their take on it. It's even better when you can get someone to look at what you are doing who is successful at it.

But the challenge is to not get discouraged but to persevere and move forward....

Good stuff...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Don't Get Discouraged! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL