The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why "Greater Magic"? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1360 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Good news folks, I will be printing a new edition of Greater Magic later this year. The amount of previously unpublished material from Hilliard's notes will be greatly expanded (doubled, I hope), and "More Greater Magic" will become a separate volume (so the new edition will consist of two volumes: the original "Greater Magic" and "More Greater Magic."

Details to follow in time.

Any news on when this will be available please?

Barry
EvilClown
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, VA
109 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2018, mindmagic wrote:
Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Good news folks, I will be printing a new edition of Greater Magic later this year. The amount of previously unpublished material from Hilliard's notes will be greatly expanded (doubled, I hope), and "More Greater Magic" will become a separate volume (so the new edition will consist of two volumes: the original "Greater Magic" and "More Greater Magic."

Details to follow in time.

Any news on when this will be available please?

Barry

I have been holding off buying a used copy because I knew this would be coming out. Would love an update on the timing. Same for the reissue of Cliff Green's Professional Card Magic.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4668 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Out of curiosity, how much was the Kaufman Edition new when it came out? I know it lists for ridiculous amounts on ebay and amazon but I would like to know what it originally cost. I recently bought a mint condition copy from a friend of mine who didn't recall what he paid for it at a convention years ago, he just left it on the bookshelf with the shrink wrap intact and was going to save it to "supplement his retirement" one day. I offered him $150.00 and he was fine with that. I imagine I was not too far off original cost.

Glad to know it might get a re-print but I would love to see a new Larry Jennings book first. On the subject of re-prints, I wonder how hard it would be to convince J.K. Hartman to authorize reprints of "Card Craft", "Trickery Treats" and "Card Dupery"
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I would love to see it reprinted in a larger format with less pages so it is easier to read overall, like Apocalypse size at least. I had many copies over the years and read the 5 books more since they were easier to read one at a time, and a larger one would have bigger print and stay open better and be easier to carry than a little thick brick. But I still love it nonetheless. I need to get one back now actually, is this back in print then since Richard said "later this year" back in May? I always said it should be, as this and many other great classics need to all come back in print so that many old and new magicians can enjoy them again. They don't do anyone any good not being available.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much was the Kaufman Edition new when it came out? I know it lists for ridiculous amounts on ebay and amazon but I would like to know what it originally cost. I recently bought a mint condition copy from a friend of mine who didn't recall what he paid for it at a convention years ago, he just left it on the bookshelf with the shrink wrap intact and was going to save it to "supplement his retirement" one day. I offered him $150.00 and he was fine with that. I imagine I was not too far off original cost.

Glad to know it might get a re-print but I would love to see a new Larry Jennings book first. On the subject of re-prints, I wonder how hard it would be to convince J.K. Hartman to authorize reprints of "Card Craft", "Trickery Treats" and "Card Dupery"

I believe they were $125, and I sold my mint ones on here several times for about that sometimes more sometimes less. Average price is about $150-$200 But I hope to get this new one back sometime soon.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Back in 1994 is was $85 I believe, as Richard said in a post. "When I first reprinted the book in 1994, I charged $75, which was less than the $10 retail price (adjusting for inflation) when it was originally published. And that was for one volume." Can't wait for the two new, larger 8.5 X 11 versions coming! Saw him post about it on and should be coming this year! "Coming in late 2019: an ENORMOUS new version of Greater Magic!" There will be several hundred more pages in two books!
malamoney
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of malamoney
Does anyone have any additional information on the reprint?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2392 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The new version of Greater Magic will take several years to complete.
It will be two or (more likely) three volumes rather than one.
The physical size of the volumes will be increased from 6 x 8 to 8.5 x 11.
The original text will get a general upgrade in regards to missing details or errors.
An equal amount of new material will be added throughout, along with new chapters.
(The original edition of Greater Magic is almost 400,000 words. I expect the new edition to be 800,000 words.)
I would be interested to hear any suggestions you may have regarding items (published or unpublished) which you think should be included. You can post them here.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:

Trickery Treats is not hard to find.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2392 Posts

Several answers:
1. My reprint of Greater Magic in 1994 was $75.
2. There is not enough of a market to support reprinting J.K Hartman's wonderful books. (I wish there was!)
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, Richard Kaufman wrote:
The new version of Greater Magic will take several years to complete.

So it won't be done by the end of the year now?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2392 Posts

No. If I had followed my original idea, where was simply to expand the More Greater Magic section by adding more unpublished material that was collected by Hilliard but not included in the book, that could have been done by the end of this year.

But that's not what is happening now. It's a big undertaking and will require lots of writing and illustrating.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2019, sirbrad wrote:
I would love to see it reprinted in a larger format with less pages so it is easier to read overall, like Apocalypse size at least. I had many copies over the years and read the 5 books more since they were easier to read one at a time, and a larger one would have bigger print and stay open better and be easier to carry than a little thick brick. But I still love it nonetheless. I need to get one back now actually, is this back in print then since Richard said "later this year" back in May? I always said it should be, as this and many other great classics need to all come back in print so that many old and new magicians can enjoy them again. They don't do anyone any good not being available.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I am however, looking forward to this new, expanded book from Mr. Kaufman.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
That would be great. I very much look forward to this new expanded volume(s).
I purchased my cloth bound 1938 edition from the Norm Houghton collection through Tom Ransom many years ago. It is a wonderful copy of a wonderful book. I'm hesitant to handle it much however.
I missed out on your first reprint Richard.
I hope to acquire these new ones.
Thanks for all you do for our community.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2392 Posts

Greater Magic's binding was heavily reinforced because of the the number of pages. Carl Jones didn't skimp on any financial aspects of the production. I have several editions, and at the moment am working with the seventh printing (since it was revised twice by then to correct errors).

I don't handle the book carefully--it doesn't need it. It's better made than many of today's books!

So, enjoy it!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2019, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Greater Magic's binding was heavily reinforced because of the the number of pages. Carl Jones didn't skimp on any financial aspects of the production. I have several editions, and at the moment am working with the seventh printing (since it was revised twice by then to correct errors).

I don't handle the book carefully--it doesn't need it. It's better made than many of today's books!

So, enjoy it!

Thanks Richard, I shall. And thanks for the knowledge on the physical attributes of it. The physical dimensions, weight, quality and general feel of a book are so important and add greatly to my enjoyment of a book.
The Lou Gallo book is a fine example in my opinion. One of my favourites both inside and out.
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of TomB
I would hope that you re-release with corrections to errors and change size format for readability.

Then as you add new information, add new volumes. This allows people to read the updated book in a nicer format now. Then you can drip us the other volumes as they are finished. Of course, I do not know the flow of your new chapters.

Regardless, I have subscribed to this post. Vlad really sold me on wanting this book.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2392 Posts

TomB: If you have noted errors in the book, I'd be grateful if you alert me to them! My email is moobooks@verizon.net.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Heqq! I've enjoyed immensely, reading this thread, since I had the opportunity to read the first edition as a teenager in the mid '40s. It was a tremendous "start" for me as a 14 year old! Years later, I had had the opportunity to read TARBELL, loaned to me by the late Vincent Malmstrom (who had a trick in Vol VI --ORGAN PIPES PRODUCTION).

I was hoping that SOMEONE would ask for the story of the EXPURGATED EDITION! Jay Marshall told me in the '70s when I was a guest in the now "lost forever" CHARLIE MILLER SUITE @ MAGIC INC. in Chicago. The expurgated edition is a "great lesson" in keeping magic secrets!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2392 Posts

The Expurgated Edition was done by Jones just for bragging rights for his non-magician friends.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why "Greater Magic"? (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL