The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing for people with disabilities (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
417 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I am doing a show for 18-22 year old challenged youth. This includes Downs, autistic, etc. I am not sure what works the best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20521 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Keep it very visual. Use color changes, vanishes and appearances (lots of productions), and very obvious transpositions. Avoid predictions and complicated patter.

Actually, they are a very good audience for things that move alone. They enjoy being entertained.

Best Wishes!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
manofcards
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of manofcards
Do you have a good sponge ball routine? They are super visual and if you have a good routine, easy to follow. I suggest purchasing Lance Peirce's The World-Famous Bowl Routine. I believe his routine is the best sponge ball routine hands down, and up, and down, and up. http://www.lancepierce.com/products/index.htm#WFBR
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
417 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I do have a sponge ball routine that I always do. It always goes over well. I do not usually do the Benson bowl routine and I certainly do not want to combine it with bill in lemon as Lance Peirce does. Even though I know it's strong magic the last thing I want is lemon juice all over the place. Thanks though for the suggestion.
Nak
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Nak
Shouldn't need to be said, but I've heard it done before so I'll mention it. Be sure to avoid "dangerous" magic involving knives, needles, fire, etc. Not only do you not want to frighten any of the youth, but with a sometimes different interpretation of reality you certainly don't want any members of the audience trying to replicate you later (even something as silly as the shoving a pen up your nose has a risky side). Don't sweat it though, just be there to entertain and have fun and your audience will follow right along. Best of luck!
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
417 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I never ever use any of the above since I mostly do shows for kids.
manofcards
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of manofcards
Only the first part of Lance's book is the bowl routine. The second half contains a routine called Sponge. It is a multiphase routine that only uses a sponge and wand(a straw or knife). When I work restaurants, it is my go to routine.

Is this for stage or walk-around?
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Yes anything that they can follow with their eyes work best. Silks, spongeballs, ball manipulations.
Life of Magic!
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
417 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Manofcards.. Is this sponge routine for stage or is it interactive with a person like putting one in the spectators hand? I'm always looking to expand or improve my sponge work. Thanks for any info you can give me on it as I would be interested if it makes sense for me.
manofcards
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of manofcards
The routine is designed for walk-around and is very interactive. In every phase the audience is involved and at least 5 different people can be involved throughout the routine. He teaches his soft vanish and his pivot transfer, which are a great addition to any routine. It also resets instantly, which I found valuable working in restaurants and close-up environments. When I needed to let people know that I was performing in the restaurant, this was my go to effect. People always scream at the end!

If you have any more questions let me know, or send me a pm.
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
417 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Manofcards
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered it. It didn't cost a king's ransom so even if I don't use it I won't be that disappointed. Like I said I'm always looking for a new way to use sponges.
manofcards
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of manofcards
Awesome. Please let me know what you think when you get it! When is your show?
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
417 Posts

Profile of krowboom
October 31 early in the morning
bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
121 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
I do a part time gig on Saturdays at goldenstringradio.org It's a radio station for adults with disabilities. I work on air with the clients, and in the off air time I do tricks for the clients and we have a great time. They really like interactive tricks that they get to be included in, so lots of audience interaction helps. Doing a show you do for kids would be perfect, just make sure to not gear the patter so it is too juvenile. The range of what you are working with will be very diverse and will require patience. I will say though, some of my best experiences and reactions come from the friends I have made at the station. If you have any tricks you are unsure of, let me know, if I've done them or similar can let you know how it went.

bradley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing for people with disabilities (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL