The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2011 entrée: Gregory Wilson » » How Did You Get Into Magic? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
Hello Mr. Wilson,

I suppose this is a fairly standard question; however, it is one that I am always particularly interested in reading the responses to. At what age did you start? Who do you consider to be some of the best magicians (there may be too may to list Smile )? Who were your mentors? and finally, How did you get into magic?

I look forward to reading your responses,
Jordan
Gregory Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
87 Posts

Profile of Gregory Wilson
I think I might have gotten into magic fairly late (at 17) when watching a friend in High School do a one-handed shuffle. I became immediately hooked, thinking it was James Bond cool. Unfortunately, if I tried to sound suave like him and say, "My name is Wilson, Greg Wilson." The ladies would respond, "Off, buzz off!" Or, "Way, no way!" Or, "Chance, fat chance!"

Regarding your question of mentorship, I think by definition that would mean a trusted trainer or personal advisor, to which I had none in the beginning. However, I was and still am a voracious reader, being thoroughly influenced and inspired in my formative years by Marlo, Vernon, Harris, Lorayne, Le Paul and Erdnase, to name a few.

After a few years in magic, I learned the exponential power of brainstorming by becoming the last officially-unofficial Long Beach Mystic back in the early 80's. You might recognize some of the luminaries that that magic club produced: Michael Weber, Mike Caveney, Kevin James, Armando Lucero, Dana Daniels, Mark Kalin... again, to name a few.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hi Greg

So when did you decide to become semi pro /pro and how did you find it?!

Best wishes,

Danny
Gregory Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
87 Posts

Profile of Gregory Wilson
I started magic in 1978, but didn't go pro until 1992.

I was practically forced into it as I really needed the money and an easy, high-paying gig came my way. So, I guess you can say that I came kicking and screaming into the professional world of magic.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Nice :o)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2011 entrée: Gregory Wilson » » How Did You Get Into Magic? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL