We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Holely by Will Tsai (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Not that it matters, but it seems this would not withstand a repeat performance as the spectator might reach over and touch the hole, or whatever it is.

Like I said, not that it matters. The package is already on its way to me. I'd like to perform this using my business card but somehow I feel this might not be possible based on what Im reading and my particular style of business card. Hope Im wrong.

So is this simple to get into during "real life" performance? Is it practical or cumbersome and can a matte black business card with no printed pattern be used?

Guess Ill find out soon enough
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
531 Posts

Profile of westo
Mine on it's way from Alakazam, I was wondering about hole punches, is it possible to get a really small one? I am thinking of pocket management here.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2689 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
So to hopefully answer a point raised on a few occasions now - what type of Business Card is required to perform this effect?

If it CAN be used for this purpose then great - I'll have one. If however, it's just another card trick - then thanks, but no thanks.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
724 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Agreed. Very interested to hear of the business card compatibility on this effect!
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1892 Posts

Profile of slyhand
It is possible for it to be used with business cards as well.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
267 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 17:49, JCheng wrote:
Quote:
the spectator should be able to be shown that a hole was made. In teh demo video Mr. Tsai appears to show his finger moving under the hole.

I don't want to get into too much detail, but I'm guessing that you still don't know the method.
If you still don't know the method then it means that the illusion is good. If you saw him punching a hole into the card and passing his finger under the hole, then I don't understand your question. In your mind he showed the hole right? What makes you not to believe that there is a hole after he punched it with the hole punch? That's what magic is all about, illusions.

I'm going to give you an example in a card trick context.
Lets say that you do a DL and show the 10 of clubs to the spectator. You turn it back over on the deck and put the top card on the table, supposedly the 10 of clubs. What will make your spectator believe that you did not put the 10 of clubs on the table?
You made the illusion that you just put the 10 of clubs on the table. Almost the same concept with Holey. It's an illusion.

If you need more detail, just pm me.

Your example is interesting, and that's exactly what I have in mind.
There's a huge difference between "I sort of saw a hole in the card, I think," and "he turned the ten of clubs face up and left it there for two seconds for all to see."

Hence our questions.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
The method to show the first hole punch is very clever and looks exactly as it does in the demo. For business cards, the answer is, it depends on the business card. I imagine that some business cards will work better than others. The closer a business card is in design and texture to a playing card, the better the business card will work. Somebody asked about an all black matte business card, I think that might not work as well. Same goes for an all white business card You may just have to play with it and even adapt the method a bit to get the desired effect.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2689 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Thanks for your feedback Joe.

Don't think I'll take the risk then if I'm honest; as I needed it with for a particular business card routine that I had in mind.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
OK, I have a very important question about this effect.

Why is it called Holely and not Holey?????

Other than that, I just got this and think it's awesome!
ChristianMagician
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ChristianMagician
I just received this myself. Very happy with it .
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
To Rockwall....if you check out the SEO Magic USA website, on page 1 of their "new product" list there is "Holely" from Will Tsai which I ordered and looks great, and then I believe on page 3 theres an effect called Holely Change by SansMinds Magic that involves a hole also. What is with the "Holely" word?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5522 Posts

Profile of RNK
Holey vs. Holely???
jasonmcconnie
View Profile
New user
canada
58 Posts

Profile of jasonmcconnie
Fantastic looking effect. Very creative.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I like the effect, love the handling and the method. I just feel a little hesitant about the need to bring one of the gimmick for it.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Hi all,

Just got this.

Where did everyone get the 'thing' that he assumes you have, but if not, then he shows you how to make it? I would rather buy one.

Thanks,

Kyle.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5522 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 12:25, KyleMacNeill wrote:
Hi all,

Just got this.

Where did everyone get the 'thing' that he assumes you have, but if not, then he shows you how to make it? I would rather buy one.

Thanks,

Kyle.

Buy at Staples or office supply store. I even found one at the grocery store. And you still have to add something to it. Hope this helps!

RNK
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 13:32, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 12:25, KyleMacNeill wrote:
Hi all,

Just got this.

Thanks,

Kyle.

Buy at Staples or office supply store. I even found one at the grocery store. And you still have to add something to it. Hope this helps!

RNK

Thanks.

So say you got that thing that's easy to find, and then 'pimp' it up how he did it (so you get your 'thing'), will that still work as a puncher as well as doing something else?

thanks,

Kyle Smile
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
You can buy them online. I have one from "Hollow" it cane with a premade thing that does the thing.
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Hey Café,
Kyle...you don't actually have to "pimp out" the thing as shown by Will on the video. If you buy a certain type, you can create the same illusion by manipulating it as is. It is the perfect deception and it looks normal. MagicMaddy mentioned Menny Lindenfeld's "Hollow" effect. That's where I learned about this method using a normal, un-gimmicked item.

Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks guys, I PM'ed you Astrocity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Holely by Will Tsai (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL