The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Looking for pocketwatch effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

Hi. I've got a lovely pocketwatch I'd like to use and am looking for effects I can put it to work with. I'm sure there was a time when they must have been a fairly popular magical item. I've seen a few effects described in Professor Hoffmann's Modern Magic, but unfortunately they don't suit me or the watch itself. I've been working on a little magic bit with it in which it's used as a sort of decorative wand substitute, but I'd like to use it and its features a little more directly. It does have a chain, not shown in the photo. Any references to sources of specific pocketwatch effects or substitutes that could directly incorporate it would be much appreciated!

Laurie
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Vanished card with torn corner appears folded inside the case.

A forced number or time (adding a sum on a slate or paper etc.) is predicted by the hands on the watch

A chosen card (forced) appears in the case as a duplicate miniature card

Larry
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
To touch somewhat on the second effect listed by Larry, there was a marketed effect called Time To Watch by Marcelo Contento that is a story effect about a gambler. When he died, the watch stopped at that exact moment, and the time on the watch predicts the location of a chosen/thought of card from among 12 cards, all laid out face-down in a clock formation. There is also a kicker of a matching card whose back is a different color. It has not been available for some time, but it is a very good effect.

Is this pocket watch in working order? If so, that can make or break the ability of some effects to work at all.

Coins can vanish and reappear under the crystal.

Pendulum effects can be accomplished via the use of ideomotor control.

A diary effect can be taken a bit further with a predicted time on the selected dates, then the watch can be shown to match the time.

Mathematical effects where spectators choose random numbers, add, subtract, multiply (there are some very elementary effects out there) and/or divide to come up with a figure, which can be interpreted as a time, then the watch can be shown to match that time.

The idea Larry mentioned about the miniature matching card inside the watch case reminds me: there are these mini card stickers available from most dealers, and I think they are called exactly that, 'Mini Card Stickers.'

As an opener: Using a r**l and flash paper, you can show an empty chain for a pocket watch, light the flash paper and have the watch appear on the end of the chain in a flash of fire. Now that I mention it, I think that this (or something similar) may have been a marketed effect long ago, but I have no idea what the method was if it did exist. I have used what I mention here, though, with great results.

Looking at the cover of your watch, starting with the top cover down or hidden from view, I think you could force an image (such as the animal or the number/type of flowers) from the cover and then reveal it to match what the spectators "thought" of.

I hope these suggestions are useful to you, and if I think of any more I will surely post them.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sam Berland published the only book on watch magic over 50 years ago.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
There's a routine in the Apocalypse book Vol. 6 - 10, p 1064 called "Watch" the Bill/Cup by Gerald Deutsch. It uses a wristwatch, but it might work with a pocket watch.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 22:25, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:

Is this pocket watch in working order?

Yes.

Laurie
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3384 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Laurie

Depending upon the design of the watch, you can do a Stull Watch kind of prediction by showing your audience how the hands turn, making a prediction and then having your helper from the audience turn the hands to a random time by positioning the watch face facing the floor and inviting her to twist the knob as much as she likes.

She stops when she feels inspired to do so and the watch face is returned to an upright position. Your prediction is checked and it's a perfect/near perfect match!

With your watch you would just close the case without needing to turn the watch over.

Easy-to-do by manipulating the watch stem. Fortunately most people are not familiar with the finer points of pocket watches these days and that easy "secret" flys right by them.

Presentation wise, this is a natural in a one-ahead routine.

I've done this with with watches costing under $10 from Target--not a bad investment for a very powerful effect!

Julie
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I think a nice pocket watch deserves a nice story, which from memory I believe you like to perform story effects. In regards to sources and ideas, you could try the slightly older magic books such as Hugards Magic manual, later magic By Professor Hoffmann, Magicians Tricks and how they are done and you could also try some of the older periodicals such as Hugards Magic Monthly etc.

If you can't get access to the originals most of these are available from library.com
Cup of Cafe
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Cup of Cafe
Darwin Ortiz in Cardshark has an amazing pocketwatch effect.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 13:53, Cup of Café wrote:
Darwin Ortiz in Cardshark has an amazing pocketwatch effect.

Time Piece, pp. 116-123.

But, it does not meet the criteria for the OP.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Cup of Cafe
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Cup of Cafe
It's not a far leap from the OP, and considering what has been offered which it incorporates those pieces. If the original poster is concerned about making a nice piece of magic, it would be hard to beat Time Piece.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou all for your help with this. I appreciate it and will be checking these out! Smile

Laurie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Looking for pocketwatch effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL