The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » One way back design (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Are there any subtle one way back designs out there?

Alex
Weird is part of the job.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
To answer your question ... YES. Most decks are one way, you just have to know where to look. Some are designed to be one way and those are ideal. The Conjuring Arts Research Center just put out a one way deck that's amazing.

D
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi Alex,

Discussed in past threads, but worth remembering, is “Secret of Palmettos,” by Jeff Busby.

The Texan Palmetto backs are still available in Canada at Bradley Games:

http://fgbradleys.com/fgb-cart/Product.asp?pid=1611&cat=71
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-09-29 20:43, Doug McKenzie wrote:
To answer your question ... YES. Most decks are one way, you just have to know where to look. Some are designed to be one way and those are ideal. The Conjuring Arts Research Center just put out a one way deck that's amazing.

D

If you are referring to the CARC "Ask Alexander" decks, I would respectfully suggest they do not qualify as a "subtle" one-way design.

They are as obvious as Bulldog Squeezers.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2494 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I thought he was referring to the Erdnaseum Commemorative decks, which if actually a one-way deck would be far more subtle than the Ask Alexander decks.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Bicycle League Back is subtle, and can be seen from across a room!

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 10:06, Steven Keyl wrote:
I thought he was referring to the Erdnaseum Commemorative decks, which if actually a one-way deck would be far more subtle than the Ask Alexander decks.

Indeed; and if so, I do apologize for leaping ahead of asking!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The League Backs are indeed subtle yet obvious.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 10:59, bblumen wrote:
Bicycle League Back is subtle, and can be seen from across a room!

Brian

Brian is dead on with this suggestion. Annemann LOVED these and for good reason: you have great visibility as Brian notes AND the patter is still BEAUTIFULLY subtle. I picked up a dozen of these at my dealer's recently.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 12:15, Vlad_77 wrote:

Brian is dead on with this suggestion. Annemann LOVED these and for good reason: you have great visibility as Brian notes AND the patter is still BEAUTIFULLY subtle. I picked up a dozen of these at my dealer's recently.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

LIES! LIES! LIES!

Brian
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 07:34, panlives wrote:
Quote:

D

If you are referring to the CARC "Ask Alexander" decks, I would respectfully suggest they do not qualify as a "subtle" one-way design.

The people at Conjuring Arts are much smarter than you think. I respectfully urge you to buy a deck.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I loved the Palmetto Decks, especially with the information in Jeff Busby's old book "The Secrets of the Palmettos." However, I bought a couple dozen of the "Texan" decks from a source in Canada after being assured they were the Palmetto backs. When they arrived, they were not. So, if you are going to buy them, be careful.

I checked out the Link panlives gives us and it shows the box, but not the actual back design. If these are truly the Palmetto design, then I recommend that you pick some up. If you don't have the Busby book, these cards are more than one-way backs. They are edge marked so that if a card is reversed in the deck, you can spot it, and cut right to it from the edge. It's a very deceptive tool since the cards can be shuffled after a card is returned and you can still easily find the card without looking at the faces.

If you are working with these, or plan to, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to tell you about some of the stuff I do with it.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 14:40, Doug McKenzie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

D

The people at Conjuring Arts are much smarter than you think. I respectfully urge you to buy a deck.

My comment was not meant to impugn the reputation of the amazing folks at the Conjuring Arts Research Centre.

I am an Erdnase-level member and have purchased many CARC products, including their cards.

Still, if you are referring to the “Ask Alexander” cards, they have several amazing qualities. Subtlety of one-way design is not one of them.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 08:39, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I loved the Palmetto Decks, especially with the information in Jeff Busby's old book "The Secrets of the Palmettos." However, I bought a couple dozen of the "Texan" decks from a source in Canada after being assured they were the Palmetto backs. When they arrived, they were not. So, if you are going to buy them, be careful.

I checked out the Link panlives gives us and it shows the box, but not the actual back design. If these are truly the Palmetto design, then I recommend that you pick some up. If you don't have the Busby book, these cards are more than one-way backs. They are edge marked so that if a card is reversed in the deck, you can spot it, and cut right to it from the edge. It's a very deceptive tool since the cards can be shuffled after a card is returned and you can still easily find the card without looking at the faces.

If you are working with these, or plan to, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to tell you about some of the stuff I do with it.

Dennis Loomis

Hi Dennis,

The box shown in the link I appended is indeed the Texan Palmetto backs.

I buy them retail at Bradley Games in Toronto.

There is another “Texan” deck, which have entirely different backs, here:

http://www.kardwell.com/texan-playing-cards.htm
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I'm thrilled to hear that the Palmetto Backs are still available. When I said they were edge marked, I was slightly inaccurate. What makes these impossible for a spectator to spot is that they are BEVEL EDGE MARKED. That means that the mark which appears when one card is reversed in the deck is not visible if you hold the deck squared. If you just slightly bevel the deck, the marks appear.

The Palmetto "all over" back design is, I think, quite beautiful. The cards handle beautifully and faro quite easily.

But the way the cards are cut in the factory greatly affects the marks. Not every deck works the same way as far as the bevel edge marks. But, in his book, "The Secrets of the Palmettos," Jeff Busby explains how you can adjust this with a few minutes work with an Emory Board.

In addition to the Bevel Edge Markings, the Palmettos have clear one-way marks on the top of the card if you want to work with them in the standard manner. There are two different places where you can pick up these marks, both in the upper left hand corner of the cards. If you have a Palmetto Deck, look for one of the Palmetto Leafs that has two distinct white marks next to each other. If you turn the card around, there is only one mark on the other end. There are other one way marks, but if have the Palmettos you can find them yourself with a little searching.

I've only scratched the surface of "The Secrets of the Palmettos." Alas, the Busby book is out of print, but it's possible to find it used.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
I don't have the Palmetto Texans.
But since the topic of this thread is One Way Back Design I think it should be mentioned, that the Not-Genuine Texans from Kardwell mentioned by Panlives ( http://www.kardwell.com/texan-playing-cards.htm ) also have one way back design!

I got a pack for free from my magic dealer in Denmark and discovered the nice one-way-feature. The dealer didn't even know hwat I was talking about! The important detail is near the corner (not in the margin) and easily recognizable (only) if you you know exactly where to look.

Unfortunately the cards are a little too sticky and stiff for serious card slights. So I would not recommend them for all round card work. But for self working or tricks depending mainly on the one-way-feature they have a nice old fashioned gambling-style look.

Troels
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Trolle,

Nice find.

I had to take a hard look at the other Texan backs.

You are indeed correct.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 14:40, Doug McKenzie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

D

You know...I've been playing with these cards since I got them (I bought them the day they were released) and just discovered one of the secrets last night. I had a good laugh over it. Very subtle...and it's been staring me in the face this whole time...when I was showing them to a group of magicians a few weeks back, who didn't own the cards, none of them noticed this feature either...bloody brilliant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » One way back design (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL