We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Disrespecting Fred Kaps (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 5, 2016, jethro63 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2016, jethro63 wrote:
Watching the clip of Fred Kaps performing the Chinese Sticks on Sullivan is what got me back into magic. Imagine performing a trick that was included in toy magic kits and had its instructions on how to build in those old red hardbound Popular Mechanics books. The Sullivan performance (1964) may have been before that happened (I don't know) but he still performed it in the 70s when almost every magician (and many laymen) knew how it was done.
Just to clarify this, after a little research I found that the Chinese sticks was tipped in Popular Mechanics in the December 1962 issue. Not sure what the date of his Sullivan performance was, but if he did the sticks on the Beatles broadcast it was February 1964, so the secret was well out by then. Just shows what a great performer can do.

I don't remember the Chinese sticks being explained in that magazine special edition. I did make the production mirror box, with dad's help back then. To bad those cookie sheet polished surfaces are not available any longer. They looked just like chrome, and were a great substitute for a mirror.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Bill, I think you're confusing _Popular Mechanics_ with the Science and Mechanics _Magic Handbook_, which did have the mirror box made with cookie sheet mirrors.
There were, though, a few issues of _Popular Mechanics_ that exposed magic tricks--including the Chinese Sticks.
The December 1935 issue of _Popular Mechanics_ had an article by Cardini where he exposed a sponge ball trick among others.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
jethro63
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of jethro63
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2020, Anatole wrote:
The December 1935 issue of _Popular Mechanics_ had an article by Cardini where he exposed a sponge ball trick among others.

https://archive.org/stream/PopularMechan......mode/2up

Popular Mechanics, December 1962, they tip the method of the Chinese sticks. They are not full instructions on how to build, but give an adequate idea in the form of a drawing.
http://tinyurl.com/zze7g2z
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Disrespecting Fred Kaps (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL