The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My sister has cancer (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Sounds like a tough girl.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Best wishes to you and your family, keep strong!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm going for another visit from the 28th to the 3rd. Don't know what to expect. Please continue to pray or whatever it is y'all do.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Will do.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm here now. She looks a LOT better than she did in October. She's about a third of her way through the chemo. My hopes are up. Smile
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2683 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Great to hear!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Good News.

-Mary
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
That's very good news, Jeff. See, the trip was worthwhile on many levels.

Here's hoping that the new year will bring more permanent good news for you and Sydni.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It occurred to me that an update is a bit overdue.

First, Syndi is surviving. Her life consists of chemo and drugs every four hours and lengthy hospital visits. But she's alive, and I'm grateful for the extra time with her.

Second, both my other sister and my wife--due to Syndi's illness--went for gynecological check-ups and found out they need operations. My wife's was yesterday; my sister's is the end of February. In both cases the doctors have said the growths are "pre-cancerous"; nevertheless, I won't breathe any easier until the biopsies come up negative.

My brothers and sisters: go get a check-up! Prostates and ovaries may not be the regular topic of discussion here at the Café, but y'all need to be safe. Go get it checked out.

Did you catch that? One sister has cancer, so my other sister and my wife went to get check-ups, and BOTH had pre-cancerous growths.

Take care of yourselves. Leave the magic for your performances.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Jeff, I just latched onto this thread. Glad to hear things are moving alongas well as can be expected. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in October, 2010. It had gone to her brain. They treated the brain first, eliminated the tumor and then went to work on the lungs. She's had the radiation, the chemo and thankfully, she is still with us, with good appetite and outlook. The treatments today are much better than years ago.

Still, knowing a loved one is affected by this insidious disease is pure hell. I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, but I do believe in the power of prayer. You and your sister will be one of the topics of conversation in my discussion with the Big Guy tonight.

As for me, I've had pre cancerous polyps since I was 40 and so I get that checked every three to five years. My last one was the first time I was polyp free. Get checked....all of you! This is the most preventable cancer out there. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Best wishes!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Quote:
On 2012-02-17 12:33, stoneunhinged wrote:
It occurred to me that an update is a bit overdue.

First, Syndi is surviving. Her life consists of chemo and drugs every four hours and lengthy hospital visits. But she's alive, and I'm grateful for the extra time with her.

Second, both my other sister and my wife--due to Syndi's illness--went for gynecological check-ups and found out they need operations. My wife's was yesterday; my sister's is the end of February. In both cases the doctors have said the growths are "pre-cancerous"; nevertheless, I won't breathe any easier until the biopsies come up negative.

My brothers and sisters: go get a check-up! Prostates and ovaries may not be the regular topic of discussion here at the Café, but y'all need to be safe. Go get it checked out.

Did you catch that? One sister has cancer, so my other sister and my wife went to get check-ups, and BOTH had pre-cancerous growths.

Take care of yourselves. Leave the magic for your performances.

BEST wishes to you ALL.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
My wife's biopsy came up negative.

My sister's OP went well. Her husband says it's not cancer, but she's too doped up to know how he knows. My guess is that the doctors told him it didn't look like cancer.

So it looks like the poor fortune of my sister has led to the better fortune of my other sister and my wife.

Syndi has four more chemo-sessions. I'm not sure what that means. What comes afterwards? Piers? Scott? Anyone?

The toughest thing (for me) about my sister's illness is that I live a continent away. Back in the day I would have visited her every second week. But now, a visit costs $1K+, and I'm not a wealthy man.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2012-02-25 12:33, stoneunhinged wrote:

The toughest thing (for me) about my sister's illness is that I live a continent away. Back in the day I would have visited her every second week. But now, a visit costs $1K+, and I'm not a wealthy man.

( In Soup Natzi Voice )

" NO EXCUSES FOR YOU! " Video Skype is Free! Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Smile

And video Skype we do.

But there is a time lag, and it's not quite the same as being there. It comforts me to kiss Syndi's bald head. I don't know if it comforts her. But it comforts me.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to remember to say the things--in person, or through emails, or through Internet forums--that you might later wish you had said.

It's a HUGE task.

Too big for me. Smile
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2012-02-27 12:52, stoneunhinged wrote:
:)

And video Skype we do.

But there is a time lag, and it's not quite the same as being there. It comforts me to kiss Syndi's bald head. I don't know if it comforts her. But it comforts me.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to remember to say the things--in person, or through emails, or through Internet forums--that you might later wish you had said.

It's a HUGE task.

Too big for me. Smile

Time lag? I skype with Europe all the time and never have a problem. Maybe a connection speed issue on one end?

You are right its not the same as being there but certainly IS better than just emails. If she had lost her battle then you'd pay or do anything for just " one more skype " with her so why not savour them now rather than focusing on the fact that you aren't there in person.

And to answer your question....... YES it comforts her as well....as do the skypes. Keep it up.

P.S. It's not too big for you. Smile

Best,

Tim
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Since it has been close to a year since Syndi's diagnosis, I thought it high time to give an update.

First, she spent about nine months in chemo. Her doctor kept watching the blood marker, and kept pouring it on, so to speak. At the end of it, she actually has a blood count that says she's cancer free. Great news, of course. That meant that after a short time of re-generation she could get the surgeries she needed. She had a severe hernia and a diseased gall-bladder. They did that work, and now she's currently in her 18th visit to the hospital.

So the long and the short of it is: the chemo kept her alive and has given her a second chance to live a while longer. I hope it's a few years. But even if she died tomorrow, I'll still be forever grateful to the one doctor who decided to try chemo when the other doctors had written her off.

Onto other news: my artist partner Hans (our website is here: http://www.cowboysongs.de ) was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about two months ago. Y'all can imagine that I have been pretty upset about that, too. But as it is now, I have learned a little bit about dealing with cancer: you make the time earned through chemo count. I hope that Hans, too, will be around for a few more years. But if he isn't, I'm making sure that I can say I was as helpful and supportive as possible.

Cancer sucks. Smile

But people survive. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou for the update, Jeff.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The story is way too long to tell, but the woman I have always considered my second mother (she is my mentor's wife) just told me yesterday in an email that she also has cancer.

I'm feeling very strange, like cancer is following me around attacking the people I love.

:(
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Stone, I know the feeling. Ever since I was a child Cancer has stalked my family.

I'm very glad to hear the good news about Syndi!

You have a good attitude about this. My Mother had several years of remission before her death and I cherished the time (She was never pronounced cancer free).

Best Wishes to You, Syndi, Hans and Spirit Mother.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My sister has cancer (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL