The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hmmm...The Crazy Man's Handcuffs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
I have been reading a lot of different threads and the rubberband effect CMH pops up everywhere(!). Since I don't know this effect yet it makes me wonder, cause it seems like magicians love this more than anything else...?
Is it really that great? Or is there another rubberband trick out there currently holding on to
the #1 place?
What's your opinion?
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Crazy Man's Handcuffs IS great. It is highly visual
and can stand up to repeat performances (in fact that
is part of the routine) the last of which happens in
the spectator's hands. The effect is simple. Two bands
pass through each other as if the other were not even
there. The strands simply melt through.

The effect is one of the sturdiest, most well
constructed in my opinion. DO yourself a favor and
order Ammar's notes on this. There are some things
not covered in other routines, subtlties that I agree
with Ammar other people do wrong.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
There have been many threads about this....but just since you posted it, I just performed this about 20 minutes ago for my gf. She loved it. It is a very visual melt rubberband through another band. The move is quick and pretty much undetectable. It is my favorite rubberband trick, being I only know one lol. I knock the socks off people. BTW, I also did this in my gf's hands. They close their fingers like a whole and the band penetrates them. It's a weird feeling.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6322 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
My friend, Nabil Murday, starts his close up act with this and it never fails to get a great response. Of course, he has a great patter line that goes with it and a very cool move with the spectator and their rubberband. I'm assuming he will publish it one day or put it on a video.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Thanx for making me belive,
Guess it's worth buying, l have never been the greatest fan of rubberband effects, but l know l have to learn this one.
Do you get Ammars notes on it, or is it in a video out there, and where can it be found??
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
Maybe someone can help me with this effect.

When I do the move, the bands ping as the middle finger releases and the index finger re-takes control. I feel this tips the gaff somewhat. I want to keep it all slowish and smooth.

Any tips from you CMH masters?

Cheers

neil
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Eirik-
You can find the effect on Dan Harlan's Rubber Band Magic Vol. 1 along with the instant joining (I think) if you prefer not to get the pamphlet. I haven't seen
the video, but I think the video is where people are learning it wrong.

Neil-
If I interpreted you correctly, then you are probably stopping as the hands come together? I don't do this. I hide the move in one of the back and forth movements
which causes the release to not make a "ping" AND it makes it so the eyes cannot focus yet... until you want them to right before separation. So, to make it clearer, do the tug sequence with the first part of the move. Bring the hands together and immediately do a back and forth "proof of linked state" then form the square and do the separation.

PS-
I do not qualify as a master of this effect, but this is how I get around that problem.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I HIGHLY suggest the Dan Harlan Magic With Rubberbands video series. Almost every effect is usable on the videos and all have great impact. The beauty of rubberbands is that they are familiar objects, people know what rubberbands CAN and CANNOT do. I have an entire 5-6 minute routine that is on carried my right wrist, talk about pocket management! My routine the bands penetrate 2xs, then on the specs hands, then 2 bands melt into one slowly, then the last band is made to vanish in a somewhat disgusting but entertaining way...i can't tell you much about it but TRUST me rubberband magic is great.....on second thought, don't do rubberbands leave them for me! haha
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I would first like to say that I love this trick; I have rubber bands around my cell phone and my wallet.

Dan Harlans video on rubber band magic is a great place to find it! Lots of other great rubber band magic.

You can also find it in Michael Ammars book "The Magic of Michael Ammar" or you can find it on the video "Classic Renditions #2: Rubber Band Magic" also by Michael Ammar.
Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Guess the Dan Harlan Magic with rubberband series is an good investment.
Since l'm a total rookie when it comes to rubberbands l guess it's better to get the video than the notes from Ammar, they are great for sure, but it has to be easier to learn these effects by seeing it performed, since the moves are so small and you probably have to use all your fingers l think l'd have a hard time learning them by text.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Get Dan Harlan's Vol 1 rubberband magic with Mark Fitzgerald's back together and a disappearing rubberband. Also get broken and restored rubberband from Dan Harlan or Michael Ammar.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Does anyone know the NAME of this effect:

You hold two rubber bands, one on your two index fingers and the other on your ring fingers.

You do the "move" and then hold them back up seemily like before, but then you make one band "jump" onto the other. You then let that band hang on the other to show its really on, then raise it to your mouth to "break" the band to get the other band off.

You then show its off and restore the one you broke.

I know its a classic, but can't seem to find the name or where to learn the whole thing.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
547 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Eirik,

I'm not real big on rubberband magic but I do like the CMH. I've also heard great things about the Pinnacle DVD. After watching the demo at PenguinMagic this was something that I wanted to learn. But since you are interested in rubberband magic, this might be something you want to keep your eye on. The demo can be seen at http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=625
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Well yes, Pinnacle was a great addition to my
repertoire. So was Missing Link (Kenner's original
version) and Ring Leader by Aronson. I actually use
Ring Leader in place of the final display and
seperation phase in Pinnacle.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of chappy
If you want a concise description of The Crazymans Handcuffs look no further than The Magic Of Michael Ammar. Also I believe it was invented by Arthur Setterington and first published in Tarbell 7.For the goods on the history and the best handling see Ammars book.
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Danny Magic
View Profile
New user
ca
30 Posts

Profile of Danny Magic
I perform crazymans handcuffs alot. First the bands penetrate one another, then in thier hands. To end I gesture and point to the band in thier hand and with the other I place a band on my left ear. Take the band from the spectator and put them together as though you have two interlocked again. (I don't know the name for this, but it is on the Harlan video)Act as though they will penetrate once again, but one vanishes and reappears on your ear. This is a great three phase routine that was inspired by Gregory Wilson. He just gave me the idea and I ran with it. Try it.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Danny,
My routine always used the two first parts you mentioned, but that last climax must really get them!
I'm going to have to use it. Thanks for the info.
TJ
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3220 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I agree with HiveMind's and chappy's comments that Michael Ammar's notes on the CMH are worth getting. He the most complete attribution and the best handling for the CMH. Even if you purchase a video, I recommend you get these notes, or better still, buy his book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar," which also contains Mr. Ammars complete CMH routine.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Rubberbands aren't really my area, but I've heard so many good things about CMH that I decided to learn it. I got Ammar's notes on this a few days ago, and after a few hours of solid concentration, I finally started to get the idea.

I've gotten a little obsessed with practicing this over the last few days, but every time I try it I get better.

Ammar's notes certainly helped me (though I never had any trouble learning from written materials), but it did take time for me to start to understand it, and I plan to dedicate a lot of time to learning this properly before I show it to anyone.

My point is that I would definitely recommend Ammar's notes on CMH, but only if the buyer will take the time necessary to work on this. It doesn't come quickly, but I feel I will have a great performance piece after some time.

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
there is a web site that teaches cmh on it. i can't remember what it is called but that is where i learned it from.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hmmm...The Crazy Man's Handcuffs? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL