The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
What beginner tricks (gaffed or ungaffed) that you first learned do you still regularly perform?

Mine are dime and penny trick and also the linking paper clips.

Brian Smile
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Under the right conditions, "Do As I Do" with two decks can look like a genuine demonstration of thought transfer.

I learned it years ago as one of my "first effects", then built it up in presentation. I performed it as recently as last weekend for a group of 20 adults in a candle lit setting that really set the mood.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
"Two in the hand, One in the Pocket,"
"Transposing 1 & 5 dollar bills,"
always good for an impromptu situation.
Magic is fun!!!
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Quote:
On 2003-09-03 08:58, Indy Ron wrote:
Under the right conditions, "Do As I Do" with two decks can look like a genuine demonstration of thought transfer.

I am so with you on this! It was the first trick I learned from the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, and it's still one of the best effects that I perform. It has a great plot, the handling seems so fair, and the outcome is both logical and amazing! It's great!

Billgussen
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
My ex boyfriend introduced me to magic and mentalism a few years ago and the very first effect I learned was the drawer box, a beautiful one made of wood he gave me as a gift. I still use it today to do a Jack The Ripper effect. After I learned to use that a couple of different ways I started reading and learned equivoque techniques from Max Maven and began playing with that. I also still use that today. It's all about presentation anyway, so the actual gimmick or trick doesn't matter all that much to me, I just need to find the best and most creative way to use it. I guess there are worse ways to start, I think I was lucky.

Anabelle Smile
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
how about the classic torn and restored napkin? that was my first cool trick ever
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
TT
ID
Cut and Restored rope
Magician's nightmare
I've performed all four of these for 35 years.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
nick vassil
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of nick vassil
Do as l do & poker players picnic. Smile
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
One of the earliest things I purchased was an Enardoe deck of marked cards. I don't use Enardoe anymore, but I still used marked cards in general for some particular effects. In fact I even have a marketed eBook on the subect of bizarre mentalism with marked cards ... also for sale on my website.

Another early effect I still use today is the T.T. - what a fantastic prop!

:comply:
Gambit242
View Profile
New user
Monroe, La
68 Posts

Profile of Gambit242
I'm a beginner that has been doing magic for less than two months.

My first tricks/effects to purchase were:
Invisible Deck
Stripper Deck
Svengali Deck (Not sure if spelling is correct)

I'm having a good time working with these decks and feel that they will be fun for quite sometime.

See ya,
Gambit242
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
I am a beginner and I enjoy doing dime and penny and a couple of card locations effects and am practicing Color Monte as much as possible
Wade
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
I still do the ambitious card, and risnig ace tricks.
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
2 card monte....so simple yet hits hard. Standard sleights and misdeirection everyone should know how to use.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
montag
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
8 Posts

Profile of montag
first learn som pretty cool mind teasing cuts and shuffles to spice things up... Smile
with death comes new life
never seek sanctuary were the devil is king
if you love something let it go, if it loves you it will come back

john plumadore
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Here's a great card trick that is self-working.

The name is Gemini Twins and can be found in More Self-Working Card Tricks by Fulves. It requires no set-up and someone can hand you a deck and you're ready to start. Someone who typically isn't impressed with card transformations, usually can't figure this one out. It's one of my favorites.

Mike
shaky
View Profile
New user
Dorset, U.K.
79 Posts

Profile of shaky
I found the Royal magic range explains most of the basic and well known beginners effects. I liked them so much I bought loads of them to help beginners.

cheers

Shaky
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
The four Robbers was the first trick I learned, and at the time it blowed me away.

Magically

Aus
hokeypokey
View Profile
New user
Chicago
71 Posts

Profile of hokeypokey
I remember seeing the four robbers trick when I was younger, but can't remember it now. Can you provide a reference to it?
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
My very first deck was a maked deck, I also got a Svengali deck and a penetration frame in one of my magic kits.
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
Mine is probably the Svengali Deck. I've bin using that deck every since I started magic and I still use it everytime I want a spectator say the "What The" line.

PyroDevil Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner Tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL