The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Nemo Jumbo Rising Cards (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Where can I see Roy Johnsons version - video is removed from youtube :-(
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
As mentioned above, Bill only put it up for a limited time. That time period has run out.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Only 3 days for viewing..., what about an extra day - please
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If there is some interest, I will consider posting again for a few hours. What would be a good time for the most viewing for those interested?
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Now ;-)
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
I did watch it,and thank you for the opportunity.

As a matter of interest, why the strick time limit for posting the video?

Pete
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
WMhegbli:

I watched it a few days ago and I loved it.

I bought the Nemo Card Rise many years ago and played with it for a long time.

I have a couple of observations. Mr. Daniels is a great performer, but my gut tells me it is not a trick that was part of his regular act. I could be wrong, but to my eyes it seems like a trick that he performed for a short time in preparation of a television appearance. That said, he is a superb entertainer and he got a lot out the TV spot with Ms. Bassey.

The Roy Johnson, clip is educational. His handling is very conservative and it does a fine job at protecting the method.

Thanks for posting it!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Roy Johnson was kind enough to provide me with his private video file. He is still alive in England, retired. We all know the Internet cannot be trusted. This video may be the only video besides Peter Scarlett's performance that is a performance of this trick. If you read the instructions for the trick, Roy Johnson was one of the principle creators of the effect.

Roy also has a very funny Linking Finger Ring effect that is very good. He of course has a special Koran 'type' finger ring made that Geoffrey Durham had one made for him and explained it his book. This type of ring allows for a more open presentation over all the others on the market.

Other presentations cover some of his material from 5 published books, proving the his material is very practical for professional work.

It takes over 2 hours for the Card video to be uploaded, don't know if I have that much time available currently.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
I was away for the week-end and would love to see Roy Johnson performing the Nemo Jumbo Rising Cards.
Any chance for a new upload of the clip?
Thank you!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have decided to offer a limited viewing of the video, for those that have the Nemo Jumbo Rising Cards and would like to view one of the creators perform this routine, Let me know and I will make it available to you for viewing. If you do not have own the trick, there is really no reason for viewing this video. This is more of a learn by watching an expert work learnign experience.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
I also missed it but do not have the nemo card rise, I appreciate why you only put it up for a limited time but would love to see one of the greats perform this, any chance of a rerun?
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
The biggest problem with the Nemo Card Rise is that the gimmick lights up like a neon sign under certain lighting. This is a very real problem with this method of card rise. I am surprised that this concern has not been mentioned. I would never use the Nemo Card Rise for this very reason. You simply can not use it under all conditions. When the lighting is right, it is great but who can count on this for every show?
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-10-08 12:29, Magic Researcher wrote:
The biggest problem with the Nemo Card Rise is that the gimmick lights up like a neon sign under certain lighting. This is a very real problem with this method of card rise. I am surprised that this concern has not been mentioned. I would never use the Nemo Card Rise for this very reason. You simply can not use it under all conditions. When the lighting is right, it is great but who can count on this for every show?
MR

Well of course you have to use your head and knowledgeable common sense, when doing any trick. I venture to say there is not many tricks that can be used in all situations. Many performers use this effect very successfully in the right setting. Even Roy Johnson has an alternative to difficult performance settings.

I do hope you are making your comments from a perspective of being an actual owner of the trick, and have used the equipment, as I find your comments as not speaking from a position of knowledge of the whole working effect.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Unfortunately I tend to have set acts. I build acts that can play pretty much anywhere. I have the Nemo Rising Cards and bought it directly from Ken Brooke at his shop. He actually walked me through the handling several times before boxing it up and sending me on my merry way. I’ve performed it a few times over the decades. But have never gotten really proficient and always worried about the perfect setting. So I have stuck to the Hathaway rising cards (been performing that since the 60s). I can perform it anywhere, in almost any condition (surrounded, close-up, etc.) and in any light condition (except total darkness).

I love the Nemo set-up, it is elegant and when performed correctly it is a killer! It is a brilliant stage piece. I could watch Roy Johnson perform it daily (and did until the link shut down).
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
I thoroughly agree with every point that Harry and Magic Researcher have raised regarding the Nemo Rising Cards. It is, indeed, a superbly, elegant effect when one can virtually guarantee the performance conditions but otherwise it really is a case of playing Russian Roulette in terms of the venue's performance environment and it being able to be condusive to one where the effect can be performed to its full potential without worry or concern.

I owned a Nemo Rising Cards for a considerable number of years and could never quite come to terms with the gimmick, in spite of innumerable attempts to master it, and so the effect tended to just gather dust in my prop cupboard! This I regard to be an awful admission on my part but in my defence, I must say that, I now tend to evaluate effects in terms of, not only their suitability to my personality etc. but also to their ability to withstand any potentially adverse lighting and performance conditions.

In an attempt to find a Jumbo Rising Card effect that fitted all my requirements, I embarked on an exhaustive search of the various methods available for this effect and am so pleased and relieved that I finally plumped for the Hathaway Rising Cards. I purchased my outfit from Martin Lewis and have never regretted it.

If, like myself at one time, you are in something of a quandary as to which version of the Jumbo Rising Cards to use that will enable you to perform the effect in virtually any performance situation and any lighting condition then look no further than the Hathaway. It is an investment on a considerable number of levels and one that I am sure will repay dividends and one that you will not regret.

Best wishes,
Lester
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ditto that Lester! I've been performing the Hathaway rising cards since the mid to late 60's (bridge size back in the day), and have a custom made from wood (by Café' member Gerald) jumbo size. My routine has been posted here on the Café'. It is a signature piece for me.

If interested it is on the following thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=8&0

In fact I dug the old bridge size out for a party gig at a Frat house at the local college last night. I had the audience right within a few feet and pretty much 180 degrees or a bit more around me. It didn’t fail me and I wasn’t busted using it in the living room bright lights. This is a very low-teck worker!

Still, I’d love to be able to perform the Nemo as well and as polished as Roy! I guess it is Jumbo rising card envy! LOL!! Or maybe just wishful thinking.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry, I bet that doing the Nemo in the Frat house would have worked very well. It does take a lot of work to present, that is what I like about the Nemo. It involves stage movement and a knowledge of IT as used in magic. If this is not experienced, but just thought about, all kinds of mental nightmares will creep into your thinking. Remember, it is just thinking and not actual doing.

Opinions without actual experience is kind of narrow thinking.

There at least 2 principles involved with the Nemo, as to why it works just fine in most natural and stage settings. There is no reason to explain things to none believers.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
For what it is worth, here's my two cents:

Having just watched the two clips (Daniels and Johnson) they are quite interesting and educational as well.
I thankw Wm.Hegbli for his considerable efforts and generosity in sharing this with us!

On some level it is unfair to compare performers; each takes full advantage of their natural gifts and each manages to make a delightful deception. As mentioned earlier (by Levent I believe), Daniels is extraordinarily gifted as an adlib comedian and takes full advantage of it during his TV spot.
He produces laughs before, during and outside of the effect.

Roy Johnson's style is more avuncular and equally pleasant in it's own way, but if laughter produced is the measure of 'entertainment' , then Daniels delivers on that count. Lovers of Magic often find a well performed, inexplicable mystery to be equally entertaining, but laymen might not judge it the same way.

Prior to viewing these clips I had no idea of the method, having only seen it performed only once about 25 years ago. I saw the Daniels clip first and still didn't catch the method! Watching Mr. Johnson, it gave me sufficient insight as to all the 'what, when, and how'. It became particularly evident in the business of the houlette being repositioned in the spectator's hands.

Now knowing the method, I revisited both clips and I was intrigued by the casual handling of Mr. Johnson that only hundreds, if not thousands of performances can give you. His preparation prior to doing the 'work' is quite refined and subtle. Of course, in this Daniels is less subtle , but takes full advantage of using the camera to 'frame' the mystery.

I realize that the elegant simplicity of this method requires considerable preparation, an attention to detail, and the confidence born of many rehearsals and performances. For the occasional performer these might be intimidating factors. I can also see why many would opt for the Hathaway method. In the eyes of the laymen I suspect it is nearly (if not equally) deceptive and the preparation and onstage handling are easier.

What I find uniquely interesting in both performances is the display of the chosen cards prior to the rising aspect of the revelation. In other words, that the chosen cards are NOT revealed by the 'rising action'. We already know all three cards identities before the cards are inserted in the deck (In Johnson's case) or before the houlette is seen (in Daniels case). It's almost as if they are saying: "here's three (or two) cards, watch what they can do when I put them in this clear box". As opposed to: "We have a selection of three unknown cards and by isolating them from any undue influence...they will reveal themselves".

This may be an artistic choice in both cases,but I wonder if something is not lost by not having the identity of the card remaining an unknown factor to increase suspense?

Thanks once again William!
Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
John
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of John
Café Members,

I was able to see the clip of Roy Johnson performing the Nemo Jumbo rising cards.. Roy Johnson is amazing. His stage management and selling of the effect is a lesson in style which is both understanded and energizing at the same time. Just watching Johnson dance over the stage - create a stage picture of his total and complete distance from the cards when he asks the specator to say "card rise" and then his collegail back of shoulder retreat when the spectator says "envolpe rise" and it does rise. His offering the first card rise to the down stage right area - in which direction he moves - with one fluid sweep is beautiful. If he is doing the "dirty work" during these movements which he must be - it is amazing to watch. I can guess what must be involved in the effect - perhaps I'm wrong - but if I'm right I still can't see him deploying it so artfully is his "method" mixed into his movements. I'm quite take by Johnson's stage management. His hand gestures, his placing the spectator's hands on the houlette - putting the box under his arm, for example. It is just beautiful - almost dancing. His clapping, his quick hand movements up on the card "rise" description, his sweet hugging the spectator, and to suspect -as I do - that all or most of it is critical to the effect and the method just leaves me spell bound. He is able to inject interest, innocense, intrigue, charm, energy, and simplicity all at the same time. It is absolutely beautiful to behold.

Thank you,Bill, for letting us see this performance!

Again, many thanks for putting this back up and letting me see it
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Wm,
I would like to look at this video also. I have a set of Nemo sitting in a case and just never took the time to work on it.

Seems like I miss out on this all together as my laptop will not handle Youtube and I am not on the desktops on weekends.

You should have my email address.

Thanks

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Nemo Jumbo Rising Cards (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL