The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who doesn't love the Retention pass? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Your oppinions are not so humble JT Smile

So when is Mickey competing and where? Thought it was around Turkey day.

Again, a lot of conversation pro & con about this "tool" that goes far beyond your average hammer, I'd say. But JT, you know how most feel...how do you feel when Mickey's hands open and close, are you ahead of him or behind him? Does your evaluation come first or your enjoyment? Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
FWIW, I evaluated the situation early on, and kept my critical eyes off the moves and just enjoyed my time with him for lunch and over at the house.

My feeling is that his short one-coin-routine and this other effects register about the same for magicians and laymen. Which is a good thing. We don't get that kind of pleasant surprise too often.

Though again, this has nothing to do with the retention he uses and much more to do with HOW he performs.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
This is not the Mickey fan club ,it is about a retention vanish ..
I wrote a thread way back about jelaousy / envey
The only one here disputing this fact is JT.
this post is about a retention vanish not about a performance with coins.......... not about burning some ones hands but about a coin the really looks like it was out into a closed fist period..
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-09-03 09:51, Eirik wrote:
The Coin Retention Pass is probably one of my best friends in Coin magic, but still it is far from perfect.
l heard David Roth is as good as it gets. Does anyone know if he has given out any videos teaching this?

Yes Eirik, for now David Roth's is about as good as available and he has discussed and taught the move on several videos over the years. While he does not give out those videos, they are still available from the publisher.

At some point, there may be a release from a guy named Mickey Silver. His style is quite different from David Roth, and his sleights offer solutions to a couple of long standing problems (over fifty years) in advanced coin magic.

Mickey does give out videos, but not teaching videos yet. If you want, send him a PM on the café and say hello and ask about his videos.
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Clones? So that's why there are so many of him doing the SUV on the videos.

...and until now I thought an SUV was just a puffed up vehicle.

...even if he is sending in a clone to London, they should go see him.
swiftshifter
View Profile
New user
Philippines
94 Posts

Profile of swiftshifter
Well, I do not handle coins at all. I do nothing else jjbut cards. How ever, as a bit of an easer afeter my presentation, I usually do a coin vanish and reproduction. The retention pass is the move that I use. I have long since dropped the French drop (pardon the pun).
Hoggle
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Hoggle
I don't know much about Mickey Silver other than his an online demo. I will say what he's done at the end there is very nice. He can show you the coin is really in his hand then instantly its gone. nice.

As far as other retention of vision vanishes, Close-up Illusions has an excellent treatise on maximizing ROV in the classic french drop. Several variations are taught, then Gary reveals a combination of all of them that is outstanding. You see the steps he took to arrive at the new variation and that is almost as good as the vanish itself.

Both CoinMagic and Expert Coin Magic have Roth's take on the illusive pass using ROV principle.

These three books contain a wealth of information about making your retentions magical.

Anyone else have any recommended readings? Ill bet Al Scheider has something on the ROV but I haven't read his stuff.
Merry Christmas
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

How are people doing getting a burn on their Tourniquet vanish (French Drop)?

John Mueller at Tannen's commented that my Spider-grip vanish looked better than my French drop, and so I decided to investigate the move.

Yes, you can get a burn from the move. Fred Kaps also showed a very nice drop vanish in his lecture and the film "Kaps on Coins".

What have you found comparing the reactions/utility of a retention or not on this basic vanish?
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-18 11:14, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Fred Kaps also showed a very nice drop vanish in his lecture and the film "Kaps on Coins".
Yes my friend..as you might know, I do have *Fred Kaps on coins*.
All I can say is, everything on that movie is accordingly to Fks motto :*It's so simple* and nevertheless very few can do it as well as he did..
Everything on this movie is done sooo well !
Just take his production of coins behind/from a playing card...it's so easy, nevertheless so difficult Smile
How about the thread thing for CTTT and a lot of other stuff..his coinbox move..one can go on and on..
Nobody can do it as well as he could..the simple things...
This goes for *Fred Kaps on cards* too..
What about his handling of Paul le Pauls spreadpass?
His special delivery palm...
The old Prof. Lewis palm (IIRC)..anything!!!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Sorry to interrupt a thread about a theme I know nothing about, but is there a Demo somewhere that shows this Retention Pass?
F.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Yes, Mickey's move is on the French site. and some of us have the 20 meg and 5 meg files. IF you can handle file transfer, that is another way. Asking Mickey to send you a DVD is yet another way.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Quote:
On 2004-11-17 13:59, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Yes Eirik, for now David Roth's is about as good as available and he has discussed and taught the move on several videos over the years. While he does not give out those videos, they are still available from the publisher.

At some point, there may be a release from a guy named Mickey Silver. His style is quite different from David Roth, and his sleights offer solutions to a couple of long standing problems (over fifty years) in advanced coin magic.

Mickey does give out videos, but not teaching videos yet. If you want, send him a PM on the café and say hello and ask about his videos.

Thank you Jonathan, I know some of the works David Roth put out, and I do like his style.
I'v very curious about Mr. Mickey Silver, I'v only read about him till now, so I hope to see some of his work real soon.
Is he a working professional BTW?

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-19 07:52, Eirik wrote:
...I'v very curious about Mr. Mickey Silver, I'v only read about him till now, so I hope to see some of his work real soon.
Is he a working professional BTW?

Yes, Mickey is proud to say he's been self employed since he was 16. He emailed a couple of days ago about his trip to England. If you can attend, please do meet him.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Quote:
On 2004-11-17 13:59, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Thanks for the update Jonathan,
I'v followed this thread for some time now, and I have been curious about Mr. Silvers work, lucky for me he sent me a PM last friday, offering me his Performance DVD, I could'nt belive how friendly this guy was.
I'm really looking forward to witness his SUV.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Does Mickey Silver have a web site or a demo on the internet showing this appilcation to the retention pass?

F.
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Malcolm Kavalsky
Quote:
On 2004-11-18 18:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Yes, Mickey's move is on the French site. and some of us have the 20 meg and 5 meg files. IF you can handle file transfer, that is another way. Asking Mickey to send you a DVD is yet another way.

Please post the URL ...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well, since no one's responded, (and I can't find the French site) there's always Mickey Silver's OWN site! here ya go!

http://mickeysilver.tripod.com/html/main.html

Best,

Doug
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Use the search function on the Café menu.

When you find the link, you will need to remember the French term for 'French Drop' and make a login there, which is free.
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Thanks for the link Dougini, Mr.Silver seems like a great coin magician. Can't wail to see a DVD.

F.
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
I have Mr. Silver's demo DVD and have watched it MANY times. It is a joy to see. I like his approach and he is obviously very talented. I'll be early in line to buy his first DVD....I just visited his website. I understand business, sponsors, etc BUT.....am I the only one that gets heartburn seeing that one of his main links(of four) is a website selling the book "Magic Secrets Revealed"? This appears to be one of those publications that prides itself on revealing everything possible to anyone with a few bucks to buy their book. What do you think?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who doesn't love the Retention pass? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL