The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Folding Coin Outs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Coin Workers-

Just wondering if anyone has any good "outs" for a folding coin routine (coin in bottle). For me I am having trouble developing an out when the band breaks on the coin trying to get it out of the bottle. Usually I get around 5 or 10 times before the band breaks. Any folding coin experts out there I would really appreciate any help you can give me. I apologize for the bad grammar.. it's late.

Thanks in advance.
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Hey There Variable75!!

This has only happened to me once. Here's what I did:

After the audience noticed the 'Broken Quarter Pieces', thinking quickly, I used those pieces (still inside the bottle), as a reminder that "Isn't it a unique thing that the molecules in the quarter, split, and the bottle stayed in tact, being that glass is softer than metal?"

I then dumped the quarter pieces onto my hand, and let the spectators see them (while still resting on my palm), for just a second or two.

Then, I showed each piece, put all three together, and performed the 'Spellbound' move. This effect, now became a 'Broken and Restored Coin'. The surrounding lighting, seemed to help tremendously, with the coin visually restoring itself (I couldn't have done this better if I tried.) Since part of the rubber band, was somewhat still 'linking' two of the pieces together, I restored the coin, one piece at a time. The spellbound move was what I used to switch the two coins, before handing the borrowed one back.

The response from the audience, was quite good. I've even started working on this 'Broken and Restored Coin' concept.

The idea of this, flashed into my thinking, because I remembered Copperfield, when he restored Wayne G.'s baseball card.

I remember thinking, "Wow... that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be."

Hope this idea helps,
- - Troy Smile
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Great idea, I will definitely play around with that for awhile. Any tips on putting another band back on the coin?

For some reason my bands stick out a little, leaving visible gaps between the parts on the coin.

Thanks again.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
First of all, double-band your coins. It is very rare that both bands will break at the same time.

Second, if you are working regularly and you know the bands last for an average of 8 performances then change them before the 9th performance!

Third, if the bands break as you are trying to get the coin out of the bottle what’s the problem? You are ditching the folding coin at that point anyway. Catch the pieces and do whatever change it is that you do at that point. It is not manifestly more difficult to perform a switch with a couple of pieces. Or three pieces for that matter, although in my experience when a band breaks it usually sticks in the groove and keeps two of the pieces together and sometimes a corner of the third. I cannot remember a time when all three pieces came fully apart and I have been using folders for over 30 years.

Finally, if you continue to have problems with the folding coin, then change to one of the routines of coin-in-the-bottle/can that doesn’t use a folding coin.

Hope some of this is helpful.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Use a pin to slide the band evenly. Make sure you don't have any rubber residue in the slits. If you do clean it out carefully with a pin but make sure you don't scratch the sides, otherwise your band will catch and break whenever you use the coin.

Regards,
Tony

Quote:
For some reason my bands stick out a little leaving visible gaps between the parts on the coin.

thanks again.
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
My advice is to do 2 things:

1. Put 2 bands on instead of 1.
2. Have a spare folding coin - more expensive, but extra safe.
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Thanks, all good advice. I actually believe my problem is re-banding the coin, it never seems to go in exactly right or tight enough.

I cleaned out the slits with an Exacto knife, but does anyone have any good techniques for re-banding? Again, I appreciate all of your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks-
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
variable75

Insert the band on the outer parts first. Then before you insert the middle part, you can stretch to see if the tension on each sides are even. If they are, then thread the middle part (It is a lot easier to adjust the tension before the center part is installed). Otherwise use a pin to slide the band evenly (You can even use a pin to slide the band before the center part is installed). Make sure you don't have any rubber residue in the slits. If you do clean it out carefully with a pin but make sure you don't scratch the sides, otherwise your band will catch and break whenever you use the coin. FYI the band on my coin (quarter) breaks after handling it around 50+ times.

Regards,
Tony
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2002-04-30 11:36, mumblepeas wrote:

Double-band your coins.

If the bands break as you are trying to get the coin out of the bottle what’s the problem? You are ditching the folding coin at that point anyway.

That's the best advice.

Smile USTAAD
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Magnus Maccormack
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Canada
67 Posts

Profile of Magnus Maccormack
Quote:
On 2002-04-30 04:08, Magique Hands wrote:
<clip>
I've even started working on this 'Broken and Restored Coin' concept.

<clip>
- - Troy Smile

Broken and restored coin, now that would be cool Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
When it's happened to me, I've said, "To get it out, you either have to break the bottle, or break the coin!" as I shake out the pieces. I don't bother restoring the coin. It gets a laugh, and they're suprised by the coin breaking!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4745 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I've only had a band break on me once. When doing the Coin in bottle, I perform John Bannon's Vacuum-Packed. It's very strong (You gotta' love Bannon's thinking) and makes use of a very small bottle.

I won't go into the entire routine, but in the end, besides the coin, you have a match and two aspirin's inside. When you remove the coin, you do so with a pair of tweezers.

During one such performance, the band broke as I was pulling the coin out. Though it was a small shock to me, I continued sliding the tweezers out, allowing the pieces to slide into my hand. Since I already had a second coin in my other hand, I just did a fake hand over, and the spectators were never aware that anything had went wrong.
The match and aspirins really helped hide the dirty deed.
Ain't magic great?
:hamburger:
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2002-05-09 02:47, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I've said, "To get it out, you either have to break the bottle, or break the coin!" as I shake out the pieces. I don't bother restoring the coin. It gets a laugh, and they're suprised by the coin breaking!

Excellent! This would also surprise magicians as to "How did he manage to break/get the band off the coin?"

Smile USTAAD
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Folding Coin Outs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL