The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Versatile Outjog Control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
I've been working on a routine that includes elastic bands to make the cards do new and interesting things. Jay Sankey's "Don't Feed The Animals" falls into this catagory but I'm at a loss about one of the controls he decribes.

The reference is to Frank Simon's Versatile outjog control which is found in one of Frank's books (Versatile Card Magic). This control leaves an indifferent card out jogged with the selection on the bottom of the pack.

I don't have many books at the moment and my next couple of purchases were going to be Card College III & IV. Does this control appear in any of these volumes? Are there any other sources I might get a similar control?

Without the cover of the outjog for a subsequent bottom steal the effect is weakened and will probably not make it into the routine.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Billy
A journey of one thousand miles starts with the first step
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Do you know the Convincing Control by Marlo? They are very similar and this would work for the routine. Both the Marlo and Simon techniques are taught on Daryl EoCS vol 4.

Another alternative, if you know it, is to use the Kelly/Ovette bottom placement. When in position to do the move you can glide the real card to the right, using the left fingers to contact the next card up. This indifferent card can then be outjogged as the selected card is transported to the bottom. Was that clear enough?

Either of these 2 alternatives can be used in exactly the same situation and will leave you in the correct place to do your bottom steal.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Take a look at Marlo's Convincing Control from Hierophant/Legendary Hierophant as this has kind of become known as the grand daddy of all such techniques. Granted, it wasn't the first, but it has set a trend for such moves. Ackerman has some work on it, as does Ernest Earick, and my current personal favourite is my friend's Mark Aspiazu's from his one man EGO issue. Also be sure to check out Immediate Bottom Placement by Larry Jennings as some say that Marlo stole his handling from Jennings (although I'm not sure myself).

--Andi

You beat me by one minute Neil! Smile

--Andi
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Sorry. You had more depth in yours though!
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
Thanks guys I'll see if I can hunt down these sources.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Another source for the same control - with some additional helpful handling - is Gary Oullet's "Close-Up Illusions" (wherein he credits Marlo for "inventing" the control).

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Those books will be hard to find, but there is an Excellent description in "Jennings '67" under the title "Immediate Bottom Placement".

Steven Youell
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Actually, it wasn't too tough. It took me a whole 20 seconds to find Ouellet's "Close-Up Illusions" ($36.00) at the H&R website:

http://www.magicbookshop.com

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
Just a quick message to thank those that replied.

Also to mention that the convincing control can be found in Card College III which I recently bought.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Versatile Outjog Control (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL