The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Retention Vanish...Please Critique... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I've been practicing this move since I purchased David Roth's DVD set a few weeks ago...I put it on video, because I feel it when doing it in the mirror, I don't see the same effect as a spectator would...It still feels kind of odd to actually do the move, and I am not sure I am doing it 100% correct...I probably taped 10 more videos of me doing it after that video just to keep practicing...I watch many YouTube video's of retention vanishes, and some of them are quite amazing!

Looking for any comments and advice to help me further with this sleight....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STr8QgIycj0

Thanks!

-Dan
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
When you legitimately put an object into the other hand you don't automatically POINT at it do you? Don't point.

Other than that, the mechanics are fine. With things like that it's more about just doing it anyway. Just do it.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Funny you say that...I noticed I did that a lot too, but can't for some reason stop doing it...I need to focus on the movement before I point every time...
tkuiveuxo
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of tkuiveuxo
I had the pointing problem too, it took me about 2 weeks of vanishing a coin a concentrating on that I shouldn't point, but eventually I got rid of this habit...
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
Also imho, do it slower and more relaxed. legitimately do it (put it in the hand) lots of times in the mirror and copy that.

best,

Loz
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

That's what I just started doing Loz...It actually made it feel more natural after putting it in my hand for real, then doing the retention...This is not an easy vanish to accomplish...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Well it's ok to point if you open the hand to show the coin is really there,,
second you are not getting a good burn, hold the coin at the tips of just thumb and one finger, Also your left hand is going into the receiving hand to far all you see is fingers...JMO pm me and with e mail address an d i'llsend a demo to w you what I am talking about

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

PM Sent Vinny...Thank You
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
Good advice here. Also, your mechanics are good, so don't feel you need to cover as much and as quickly with your right hand. I sometimes pause for a fraction of a second before the cover to get a better burn.

Dennis
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On 2011-10-09 19:27, dduane wrote:
Good advice here. Also, your mechanics are good, so don't feel you need to cover as much and as quickly with your right hand. I sometimes pause for a fraction of a second before the cover to get a better burn.

Dennis

I was going to say the same thing...slow down a bit...it doesn't really make sense to slowly put a coin into your hand, show it there for a second, and then suddenly clasp it shut quickly. Try to make it a smooth, natural, flowing motion, and as everyone pointed out...don't point!
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
It looks pretty good. Of course you will find that no matter how good it is it won't stand on it's own. The routine must keep yoo ahead of the audience. (I know that's pretty obvious but not everyone knows).

Are you using the pointing gesture as cover for transfering from finger palm to classic palm? Perhaps you shouldn't be classic palming the coin at all. At least not within the same visual frame.

I say slow it down AND drop your left arm out of frame.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Retention Vanish...Please Critique... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL