The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Secure pdf or documents for the magic/mentalism world (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1943 Posts

Profile of Lior
I am posting here and I will find a place to post for the magicians as well

I am finishing today 3 days of show for watch dox

They have the prefect solution for people who sell PDFs

You can share documents and track them, see what happened to them, only peopel wo get them can see them
You can not forword a document after you downloded it.
You can even destroy and wipe out documents even after they where downloaded

This is not magic
Everything is secure and easy to oprate

Scripts writer from Hoolywood are using this solution, banks , insurence comapnies etc

Lior
http://www.watchdox.com
New shop: 1A magic
You can buy the selfie card trick.
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Lior, you are great!
This is another brick for a common house -I mean your concern for the common good, more important that the solution itself.
We all need such examples -a very busy professional who finds the time to share information with a community made mainly of perfect strangers.
One word: Thanks.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Well you always have Adobe Digital Editions that can do all of this.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
View Profile
Special user
875 Posts

Profile of 1908
This is great!We have to keep our art in a more secure basis.I hate spending thousands of dollars and years of searching and experiencing and know that every kid out there or layman have access to our sacred secrets...You can read about a problem I had recently with pirated copies here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=188&41
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Rainer - ParaLabs
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Rainer - ParaLabs
Great Idea... a very good technique...a very big deal... for watchdox!

Every free screencorder can make a screen shot and/or a Video of each page of the document. A good OCR tool does the rest.

I tried it with the demo just this evening.

A secret is only save if you don't show it to a another person. ;-)

Lior: hope you understand what I like to say with my post.

cheers
R
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
I would NEVER buy an ebook with DRM...
I hate the hassle with different hardware, like laptop, ebook reader etc.
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1943 Posts

Profile of Lior
No drm with watchdox
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1943 Posts

Profile of Lior
Your name apper on the screen shots
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Rainer - ParaLabs
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Rainer - ParaLabs
Quote:
On 2011-10-05 17:26, Lior wrote:
Your name apper on the screen shots

No... not during my tests
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Quote:
On 2011-10-05 17:22, Lior wrote:
No drm with watchdox

Ah, that would be a major benefit. Smile Thanks, Lior.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1943 Posts

Profile of Lior
You need to operate the watermarks
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
But there is DRM. WatchDox IS a DRM service. That is what they do. Their website claims that they have overcome usability problems with previous incarnations of DRM. But it still is DRM.

I sem to remember looking at this company's offering when you mentioned them here once before. I'm afraid I'm not very impressed. It still is inconvenient and it is still ineffective in all but the ultra-inconvenient mode.

Thinking about it for all of 30 seconds, it would be very easy to convert WatchDox DRM'd files to unprotected pdf:
1. Install Camtasia Studio screen recording software and set it capturing the area of the Watchdox protected file.
2. Click to the WatchDox file (removing the blur) then quickly click through the pages.
3. Press "Stop" on Camtasia
4. Open the captured video, and screen cap each 'page' as the video plays.
5. Drop the images into and OCR app and convert to PDF.

This process would be quick. You can probably skip through 1 page per second. Then another 1 second per page for the screen cap on the resulting video. OCR + PDF conversion will take a few seconds per page - but that is automated. Not have a comprehensive knowledge of screen cap software, I'd be amazed if there wasn't a tool that would allow capture without the video step altogether.

If the 'spotlight' feature of WatchDox is activated then the process gets a lot more cumbersome. Someone determined could still do it - but who would want to read a 100 page ebook just a few lines at a time? It would drive me totally nuts. I hate reading long documents on a computer screen. In this regard, WatchDox represents the words of both worlds. In ultra-inconvenient 'spotlight' mode, it is only usable for short documents - yet if a document it short - it could still be pirated in a small amount of time. Or you could just type up a duplicate.

I see there is an optional "print" function on WatchDox. Again, if this is activated then people with a pdf printer driver can just 'print to pdf'. You could of course disable the printing option for your customers. Then they can read the 100 page ebook they purchased on their computer screens 4 lines a time.

As for the watermarks - this only has significance if you are able to positively identify your purchasers. How would anyone propose to do this? As it stands I could setup liormanorthementalist@hotmail.com and buy it through that email address. Then I wouldn't care if the watermark was left in tack or otherwise.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Yes, Davit, there is that method, but then again, there are probably programs designed to extract data from Adobe Digital Editions files via snapping images as well. As long as it is possible to display a page to a user there is a chance of it getting copied. But by making it a hassle it means that it won't be as viable an option for the casual sharer who's used to merely uploading a copy of a PDF instead of having to install a photoshot program and take snapshots of every page, then compile that into a PDF.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1943 Posts

Profile of Lior
I will forward them all your concerns and questions

I hope they have a good solution
I don't have the time now because we are
Too busy in the booth
Banking people are happy with the solution...
Lior
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Computer Software companies are trying for ages to protect their programs from getting copied...
But: Everything gets cracked...the only results are profits for the copy protection corporations and more cumbersome procedures and problems for the honest buyers/users
No, thank you...
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
theinternetguru
View Profile
Elite user
I hacked the Café but I still only have
426 Posts

Profile of theinternetguru
There is no way to protect any static medium from being copied. If you are in a position to look at it, you are in a position to copy it. There is a huge business in selling the illusion of protection/security. It is, in fact, an illusion. I will reveal the method -- it is simply marketing. Hopefully those people won't be upset about the exposure.
Biovf
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Biovf
I think Davit said pretty much what I wanted to say but one thing that I would like to add about DRM is that, most of the times, it harms more those who buy the original stuff than pirates (usually they receive 'DRM free' versions) leaving those who buy with cumbersome versions that always manage to not work in one way or another.

As an example, if I buy a document that is protected with Watchdox, am I going to be able to read it in Kindle or any other ebook reader? From what I saw in the website the answer is most likely no, so that means that I'll only be able to read in the computer where, to be honest, I can't stand reading more than 2/3 pages. On the other hand, if someone did the process Davit devised, they would have a DRM free document and should be able to read it anywhere they want, even when they didn't even paid for it.
Quote:
On 2011-10-05 18:55, Lior wrote:
I will forward them all your concerns and questions

I hope they have a good solution
I don't have the time now because we are
Too busy in the booth
Banking people are happy with the solution...
Lior

Banking ppl are happy with the solution because it fits their needs (most of the times they perform skimming or reference readings to check small bits of info), otherwise they print it like there's no tomorrow.

David
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12447 Posts

Profile of John C
So your name appears on the document.I don't think a thief cares whos name appears on his stolen property.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2011-10-05 22:57, theinternetguru wrote:
There is no way to protect any static medium from being copied. If you are in a position to look at it, you are in a position to copy it. There is a huge business in selling the illusion of protection/security. It is, in fact, an illusion. I will reveal the method -- it is simply marketing. Hopefully those people won't be upset about the exposure.

This man speaks the truth Smile
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1943 Posts

Profile of Lior
Just landed back in Israel from a long flight
(14 hours direct). I had a lot of time to read
all the posts her.
I just want to say that I just did shows for
them in a huge Microsoft event and I don't
get anything if someone here use their solution
I think that some of you don't understand exactly
and write with not so noce tone.
I will ask watchdox people to answer after
Yom Kipor
Just wanted to help...
Lior
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Secure pdf or documents for the magic/mentalism world (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL