The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » How to hang a Mike??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asgar
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of asgar
How to hang a Mike???No..they are innocent , I just wanna make a normal microphone hang on my neck so that I can move.I heard Juan Tamariz do that with a wire.Any ideas?
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
You can use a hanger or wire to fashion one but I would recommend getting Gim Crack:

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=26

It's well made and looks professional.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Malloy Magic also puts out a good mic hanger http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/freedom.htm
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5719 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I often use a Gimcrack for those gigs where someone else is supplying the sound. When using any mike holder, you have to be in the habit of turning your body instead of your head, so the mike will pick-up what you're saying.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2011-10-06 10:01, Michael Messing wrote:
You can use a hanger or wire to fashion one but I would recommend getting Gim Crack:

Have to disagree on that. There's nothing professional looking about these set ups.

If you need a wireless mic, use a headset or lapel. If you also need a hand held wireless, get one and use it in addition to the headset or lapel.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Quote:
On 2011-10-06 17:18, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:

Have to disagree on that. There's nothing professional looking about these set ups.

If you need a wireless mic, use a headset or lapel. If you also need a hand held wireless, get one and use it in addition to the headset or lapel.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but there are a number of performers out there that still prefer this type of set up and they are professional in every sense. It is a matter of personal preference.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2279 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-10-06 17:28, RJE2 wrote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but there are a number of performers out there that still prefer this type of set up and they are professional in every sense. It is a matter of personal preference.

I would tend to agree. I've used every possible configuration of microphones in the past and there are times when each has its advantages. Typically if I'm using my own crew I use a Countryman E6, or if it is a house crew I will typically use an RF handheld. In those cases I have sometimes used a mic holder around the neck for convenience as do many other performers that I know of. A professional always has many tools at their disposal and they know how to select the right one for the right situation. It is not my first choice, but again I could never rule it out as a possible option when the need arises.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2011-10-06 17:18, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:

You've misread what I said. I did not say wearing a mic hanging from your neck looks professional. I said the Gim Crack looks professional. I don't like the look of a mic hanging from the neck but I've seen some coat hanger versions that looked exactly like what they were: homemade. The Gim Crack is obviously not homemade. The OP wanted to know how to make a holder and did not ask for an opinion on whether it looked professional or not.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1030 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I have the Gim Crack in my case as a backup in case of a mic problem.

I've seen many pros who prefer that type of mic.

I believe Dana Daniels uses that method, and you don't get much more professional that that.

Some prefer it because it give you more flexibility for stage cueing, going off mic, etc.
Author of PERFORM...all the stuff to think about

Over 450 pages, hardcover, full color

"I loved this book!" - Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars - highly recommended" - Nick Lewin

"Chock full of ideas that will make me more $$ and my shows more professional!" - Leif David

Foreword written by Joshua Jay

Tim's book and other goodies to help performers here...

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
Carrot Top at least used a Gimcrack style set up in the past.

Trey
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Just finished reading Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber. He lays out a lot of valid reasons for using a handheld over a headset.

However, I still think that "Gim Crack" might be the worst product name ever... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5719 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-10-07 07:41, ClintonMagus wrote:
However, I still think that "Gim Crack" might be the worst product name ever... Smile

"Mangled Baby Ducks" or "Severe Rectal Itch" maybe better better names. (A tip of the hat to the original Saturday Night Live cast and their spoof of a Smucker's commercial.) LOL
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of asgar
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
I've clearly upset the delicate internal balance of some of the members here.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2279 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... It's such a delicate balance indeed!

The fact is that I agree on principle that I would much rather use an E6 than a handheld if everything is under my full control. On the other hand as a professional, I want to have a full arsenal of tools at my disposal to accommodate any unforeseen situation which might arise, including less-than-perfect soundman who can't follow the dozens of cues I need for a headset mic.

It's those times that I feel much safer reaching into my bag of tricks and pulling out a neck loop for a handheld because it gives me back the control I need to keep the show on track. It is not my first choice, but an important tool in my arsenal.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ken Weber lays out the the reasons for using a handheld very well indeed.

No matter what you use regularly you need to know how to properly use a corded mike or other handheld. Harry Blackstone had a very expensive, top of the line mike for the time, but it was tempermental. He never missed a beat using a stand mike. Look at his HBO special "Blackstone on Tour", he used a stand mike.

As Ray said, it may not be the first choice but it is a very important tool.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of eb02
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » How to hang a Mike??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL