The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Selling my trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
So, I just came up with what I feel is a brilliant idea for a trick. Actually it's not a new trick but it's a near perfect version of one that magicians have been trying to perfect for years. I got to thinking that I might want to sell it eventually. However, it takes a very specifically made gaffed deck, which requires a fairly involved process to make. I am not sure if I have the time or resources to make multiple decks at the quality I'd like . So, I was wondering if there was a good reputable creator out there, a creator who has considerably more experience than I at manufacturing tricks and selling them, that I could contact. All I want to do is present my idea to someone with perhaps some kind of NDA and see if it is something they would be interested in collaborating on. I can send a full description of the effect to anyone who is interested in discussing it further. I would also be happy to hear any recommendations of people I could contact.

Thanks,

Brad
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Try Peter Nardi @ Alakazam
he is always looking for effects
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Does it use an existing gaffed deck? If so you may want to start with that deck's creator.

Jim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
PM Cardshark - he is making some beautiful decks as well.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-10-06 12:49, brad12d3 wrote:
So, I just came up with what I feel is a brilliant idea for a trick. Actually it's not a new trick but it's a near perfect version of one that magicians have been trying to perfect for years. I got to thinking that I might want to sell it eventually. However, it takes a very specifically made gaffed deck, which requires a fairly involved process to make. I am not sure if I have the time or resources to make multiple decks at the quality I'd like . So, I was wondering if there was a good reputable creator out there, a creator who has considerably more experience than I at manufacturing tricks and selling them, that I could contact. All I want to do is present my idea to someone with perhaps some kind of NDA and see if it is something they would be interested in collaborating on. I can send a full description of the effect to anyone who is interested in discussing it further. I would also be happy to hear any recommendations of people I could contact.

Thanks,

Brad

Is it an ACAAN CAAN? Is that you Eshla?
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Actually it is an ACAAN. I know.. I know.. How many of those have we seen. Well, I had been trying to work out my own version of it for some time. The more I worked on it, the more complicated it became and the the mental gymnastic required to perform became increasingly tougher. Then I had a really out there idea come about that was absolutely absurd and completely unrealistic. However, it did lead to a concept that I have not seen in another ACAAN. Not saying it hasn't been tried, but I have not seen it. I still had to spend a good amount of time on my excel spreadsheets working out the math, but the way in which the deck is gaffed really makes this unique.

At this point I have the whole thing mapped out on paper and excel documents. I have built a very rough version of it that serves only the purpose of running through the mechanics. It just isn't pretty enough for real world applications. I just don't have the experience to know where to get the right quality materials to build it properly.

Here is the effect that this method could achieve. I assure you that this is accurate. This is an honest description of what it can and cannot do.

Here it is:

The magician holds one deck in front of him during the entire performance. It is out in full view well before any card or number is named and there is NEVER a deck switch. A number and card is named by the spectator. The magician pulls out the cards. He can show the case completely empty, and it can be examined if one so desires. The cards are fanned face up in the magician’s hands so that the whole deck is shown. The card is located among the fanned cards and spectator is invited to count the number of cards from the end of the deck to their chosen card. It will be their chosen number.

This would be great for walk around since there is no need to deal off the cards, just fan them and show that the card is in the right position. However, it is possible to deal off the cards if one so desired.

There is no need to memorize a deck, only very basic adding and subtracting is required.

It is only 1 deck. No switches.

There is no need to move cards from top to bottom or vice versa – with the exception of a select few cards and number combinations (see below).

Numbers 1-3, and 49-51 will not work with a few cards, but can be made to work by moving cards from top to bottom, or vice versa.

The deck cannot be handled by the spectator.

EDIT: I want to add that the number is not always counted from the top of the deck. It may have to be from the bottom of the deck.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Contact Murphy's for wholesale info. Tim can probably tell you if he thinks there's a market for this.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Sounds very interesting to me - and I've seen lots of ACAAN... Keep us posted about the news with your effect.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
PS: If the gaffs in your effect only require some special printing, why not make up a prototype for youself? If, however, some cutting or other "hardware modifications" are necessary it may become harder.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Can you spread the cards on a table, or do you need to fan them? A spread would seem more "hands off".
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
I think a spread could work. It might require some practice, but I could see it working. Actually, I agree that would be a better presentation. I am not very good with spreads, so it would probably take me some time to perfect it, but for those who are better at handling cards, I don't think it would be a problem.

I have made a very rough looking prototype. It works but in order to create a version that could be used in the real world, I would need better more specific materials. It's hard to get into specifics without giving away the method. Someone like Card Shark would be able to make this deck beautifully, but I am not sure who would be the best person there to talk to. However, I am looking for more than someone who could make the cards. I would like someone that I could go over the method with and who could give their own input on what I have developed so far. That way I can make sure I didn't miss anything and also insure that the overall trick is the best it can be.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
There is a forum for your question-
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......=59&2075

Good luck,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Selling my trick? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL