The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dr. Hofzinser's Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I was wondering if any research has been devoted to what type of cards Hofzinser used?

I am specifically interested in the measurements as I had understood that he used a deck approximately the same as comparable to a bridge size deck. Then found that he could have used a piquet deck. And only now find an Italian deck that measures 5.25cm×8.5cm.

Ask Alexander have any answers?

Sorry if this has been trodded over before but bandwidth is precious right now or I would avail myself of the search function.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Eric,

Try to contact Magic Christian. He probably knows more about Hofzinser than anyone.

http://www.magicchristian.com/

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Hi Michael,
I would certainly agree that he's the authority, I wouldn't know where to begin to contact him.
Whereas I have seen his Hofzinser cards, and the beautiful book he published, Non Ultra Plus (?) I lacked the German to investigate further. As to the cards, they are simply trick decks, with ample ideas and some different handlings. No fault there, just not historically accurate in my opinion. And that's all I am interested in here. Historical accuracy that is, not my opinion.
Surely, what the world's greatest card man used would be of some interest...wouldn't it?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Eric,

There is contact info on his website (an English translation version too). I communicated with him via email a few years ago regarding Hofzinser's involvement with the Card Star. He was more than helpful. What he knows and what he sells may be two different things. Just a suggestion...

Just noticed from the other thread that you were recently in Vienna. Shame you didn't catch him directly.

Bill Palmer is somewhat versed in history and his German connections are pretty solid, I think. Maybe he could point you in a better direction.

Hope you find something useful. Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Thanks Michael. Just the search has already yielded favorable results, so I am happy. But I am curious if anyone here knows anything all the same. When I get back to Texas I will give Bill a call, thanks for the suggestion.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Eric:

Magic Christian knows more about Hofzinser than anyone else. I don't know anything about the cards he used. I also don't know if he deserves the title "The World's Greatest Card Man."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-10-12 12:44, Bill Palmer wrote:
Eric:

Magic Christian knows more about Hofzinser than anyone else. I don't know anything about the cards he used. I also don't know if he deserves the title "The World's Greatest Card Man."

Well in fairness, he (Eric) didn't capitalize every word of the phrase. Smile

I think Hofzinser would be better described as a, if not the major contributor and pioneer to the field of close-up theater, certainly a significant achievement.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Hey Bill!

Yep, on the Christian, he appears to the THE MAN on Hofzinser. Mind hooking me up with his contact info? Or at least passing on a good word for me?

On the other matter of Herr Hofzinser, while I don't know everything about cards that there is to know, I do know a great deal. And yes, in my estimation he was the World's Greatest. If you want to disagree with that be my guest, and I'll be happy to argue the matter with you.

Just keep in mind that I believe he was first and foremost a creator of card magic. Not a collector of moves or other people's work, not a technician per se. But HIS technical and poetic creations far outshine anyone else in the History, let me rephrase that, The History of Card Magic.

Just to make myself clear.

.. And thanks Michael for trying to intercede on my behalf.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
So where would Dai Vernon fit on a list of card workers?

Seriously, Hofzinser was first and foremost a magician. Not just a card magician, but an entertainer.
Have you read his work in German? It's not the same as reading a translation.

magicchristian@chello.at
Stiegengasse 9/ 7–10
1060 Wien
Tel +43 (0)1 587 41 79
Fax +43 (0)1 587 41 79
Mobil +43 (0)664 53 67 100

All this info is directly from Christian's web site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Thanks Bill!

I will write Herr Christian as advised then.

Mr. Vernon is easily in the top five all time world's greatest I suppose.

No, I haven't read Fischer. Göthe(sp?) would have to take precidence I am afraid.

Again my thanks, tschau
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Many thanks Michael and Bill. Through your urging I contacted Magic Christian and he was very helpful. So that's that!
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
(quote)

Seriously, Hofzinser was first and foremost a magician. Not just a card magician, but an entertainer.
Have you read his work in German? It's not the same as reading a translation.

Are you suggesting that the German version is better or worse than the English translations Bill?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's not a matter of better or worse. It's a matter of nuance.

If I have a choice between reading an original or a translation, I go for the original if I understand the language. Speaking as a translator, I can assure you that almost inevitably translations acquire different nuances than the originals. It's one of the problems with linguistics.

I'm also reasonably certain, from knowing Christian, that he has produced the best possible translation of the material.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 15:55, Eric Evans wrote:
Thanks Bill!

I will write Herr Christian as advised then.

Mr. Vernon is easily in the top five all time world's greatest I suppose.

No, I haven't read Fischer. Göthe(sp?) would have to take precidence I am afraid.

Again my thanks, tschau

Goethe is never spelled with an umlaut.

Tschüß! (or tschüss or tschüs)
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dr. Hofzinser's Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL