The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ripper Seance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I was wondering how viable a Jack the Ripper seance in the U.S. really is? Sure, his fame has crossed the ocean, but is it really that big of a draw? thoughts please.

s
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Paul Voodini mentions this in his book and offers suggestions as to how this would work.

Failing that, you could do an Ed Gein seance. It would certainly involve some interesting props....
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
Well, that was one my questions in the past. Here in France, people know a little bit the myth of Jack the ripper, but do not know how many victims he made, when exactly, in which part of London it happened...and lots think that Jack the ripper only existed in books or films.

Lizzy Borden is more "popular" in US (Unknown for 99% of population in France).

So, my advice : If you take the time to introduce the background of the victorian London, if you tell the story of the murders, the social context of Whitechapel, the letters, if you show pictures etc...it can work. I performed many Jack the ripper séance with people who thought the day before that Jack the ripper had been created by Arthur Conan Doyle (!!), and it was a great success anyway. You know what ? They even wanted to know more therafter, and asked questions (never been caught ? Was it a plot ? etc.)

If it worked in France, it can work in the US !

Good luck !
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
There is a theory that jack the Ripper was actually American. A guy called Francis Tumblety. http://www.casebook.org/suspects/tumblety.html The theory has some notable supporters, and I see no reason at all why a jack the Ripper seance couldn't be viable in the US (whether Tumblety had anything to do with it or not).

I explain in my book Jack the Ripper Seance how in the spirit realm time & space have no meaning, and by which Jack the Ripper or any of his victims could just as easily appear at a seance in New York as London (or indeed anywhere in the world). In the occult world, *intent* is everything. If it is your intention to communicate with Saucy Jack and his victims, then you can make it so.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Irish/American Francis Tumblety has always been one of the favoured suspects. Since he is known to have returned to the U.S. shortly after the discovery of the last victim, he could easily be the subject of a seance in the U.S.

If he WAS the Ripper, then you have his remains in your country!

Happy haunting!

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
There are theories that Jack came to the US and that there were several murders that seemed to fit the Jack the Ripper slayings including a story that he may have been in Galveston, Texas as well as New York. Filling in some basic information before you begin as stated above is an excellent way to prepare your audiences for what ever theme you are doing. Before I begin any of my seances, I explain what we will be doing and more importantly what we will not be doing. The same could be for who was Jack the Ripper and who he was not.

I asked a few people if they know who Jack the Ripper is and it seems everyone I asked definitely know who he is and that he is not fictional.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
The Dark Woods of New England
793 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
Definitely.....I've done a few effects that deal with Jack the Ripper and I've never once had an issue with people either not knowing who he was or thinking that it was an improper subject due to the murders being in other countries.

I do mention that some theories suggest that the Ripper fled to America after the murders and may have continued his work here in America.
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Theories as to who JTR actually was abound. Some theories make perfect sense, others are amazing stretches which take an unrealistic leap of faith. SPring Heel JAck sounds like more of a myth than anything else to me.
AN over zealous theorist, due to spring Heels alethisism,might accuse jackie Chan as being the Jack we seek <g>

Just joking of course. But the notion of a JTR seance sounds quite amazing to me.

JTR influenced future serial killers to be sure. Use of a nick name, and the way he used the press to his advantage, spreading fear and dread in and around his killing field. The zodiac KIller is one who I feel followed lessons the ripper taught.

KOtah
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Very true. They both played the media for their amusement.

Who knows, maybe Zodiac was the reincarnation of JTR!!!!
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
Jack the Ripper is very well known in the U.S.

However as with most things, generally Americans tend to dilute any factual
information with insane plots and confuse movies for historical accounts/reality.
Jack is so infamous that he has taken on near supernatural quality,
almost equated with the vampire or werewolf.

Dr. Henry Howard Holmes, is another interesting Serial killer.
Although he doesn't enjoy the infamy he deserves.
Particularly because he was caught and subsequently brought to justice.
The mystery of his identity can no longer fascinate us.

The fact that he had a huge building in downtown Chicago now known as the "Murder Castle" should give him more notoriety
It was filled with deathtraps and secret rooms that included acid pits incinerators and other untold horrors.
Not to mention the idea that he may have cleaned the bones of his victims and sold their skeletons for medical practice is...

Fascinating?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Jack the Ripper is perfect for an American seance. There is great name recognition, but the general public knows very little in the way of particulars about the crimes. All serial killers are compared to Jack the Ripper. If you were to do a Ripper seance here in the states, you could get away with murder in relation to being factual. Pun intended.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Since people are doing Houdini and Titanic seances and effects all over the place I see no good reason for a Ripper seance in America. With a number of Americans accused there is a perfectly good connection. If Oscar Wilde can be linked to the murderer and Lewis Carroll accused why not have a seance in America. No more absurd.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
What if Jack was a she? She could have blended in better with all the unsuspecting victims.
And,she could have led the belief she was a male to the police.
Her being not of profile fitting males as serial killer's!
This would blow the hell out of everyone's theory!
Just saying...Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
Jill the Ripper?
I like it!
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Whoa....Gary....awesome idea!!!!!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
It does make one ponder the thought!

Isn't that what Bizarre is about???
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
The Jill the Ripper theory is a great one. I also like the idea that Jack the Ripper was actually a good guy and the women were actually a nest of vampires.

Sometimes with the wild theories I do worry that it sounds like we're trivialising very genuine and horrific acts. We're not, of course, but at the back of our minds we should always remember that very real human beings were murdered horrifically by this guy.

So, after that bit of moralising, back to the wild theories!
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Voodini, well said indeed.
The following are oieces I wrote which mirror your thoughts in several ways:

" DECADES LATER, DANGER LURKS

( Thoughts on a killer and his victims )

Strange isn't it ; that the name Jack The Ripper should be so universally well known; while the names of his victims have faded into relative obscurity !? What does that say about us? This man who called himself the Ripper was many things. He was a sick and brutal predator who took chances; and chanced to elude capture in the end. He was a savvy killer who learned to use the media to his advantage. The first serial killer to ever do such a thing. It created a frenzy; and in turn advanced his agenda. His taunting messages poked a defiant finger in the eye of authority. Today we might say, he was sticking it to ' the man' . During this time of political and social upheaval/ economic instability; Jack, to some was a champion of sorts. Not so much because of his deeds , as his attitude.

His victims were seen in some quarters as being part of the decay. Unfairly I would say. These women were as down and out as most; eeking out an existence in any way they could. They were women with names, relatives; some with husbands and children. All had known better days. over time, bad decisions and life got in the way. Cast not the first stone; there but for the grace of God, goes any one of us.

How sick are we, all these decades later to remember him, and not them !? They relegated to the dust in which they lie; he elevated to a pseudo anti-hero status, as the man who got away.

During his rampage, it was always about him. The women were little more than collateral damage. Objects rather than human beings, standing in his way. A means to an end you might say.

In his way this man called Jack was as brilliant as he was mad. He played the people and the media like a fiddle.

The names Nichols, Eddowes , Chapman, Stride and Kelly endure. Remembering them helps to insure;

Indifference does not bury them again.

Strange isn't it . The books we buy, the films we see concerning him evoke a sense akin to a cult 'following'.

Over one hundred years later, we still allow him to touch us Influence us?

History they say repeats itself. The economy is in decline, social unrest and disarray.

The impressionable, the potential copy cats; the disenfranchised, seeking fame.

Sick people are still out there; evil still exists. Through them a bit of jack is still alive.

I wonder , will our name one day go the way , of the Canonical Five?

Kotah

" DEATH IN THE GUISE OF MAN "

Death in the guise of man, walks London's impoverished East End.

His is a calculated hunt, a not leisure stroll.

In swift attacks, he exacts a horrific toll.

Resolute he seeks the unwary prostitute.

The savage way he kills, instills fear city wide.

Some remain indoors, afraid to go outside.

Others do what they must at night.

Another body found, come the morning light.

Boys tout their paper, shout of the grizzly caper.

Ripper strikes again, the headlines proclaim.

Letters sent, taunt athorities, part of the the twisted game

People polarized again, by death in the guize of man.

Compared to killers now; he, a rank amateur.

But deep within our pschye, his image is secure.

There within the shadows of out mind, we find the boogey man

Fog shrouded stranger , with ready knife in hand

Every man Jack of us a potential victim.

Kotah

" COLD AUTUMN TRAGEDY "

Not fit weather for man nor beast, least of all a woman.

Doss money needed, warnings went unheeded.

Under their skirts, what treasures lie,

Aside from pleasures they might ply?

Pinned or in a waist pouch tied.

Nestled against a willing thigh.

Meager possessions hide.

A comb, needle, button, welcome coin

Things hard earned or purloined.

Small tin of tea, broken piece of mirror.

A spoon, some twine , a thimble all held dear.

Prized possessions carried well out of sight.

Hoping to still have them by the end of night.

Things disappear in the fog and flicker of gaslight.

Whitechaple shaken as five in all are taken.

Skirts lifted, limbs shifted, they lay in lewd display.

He took it all you see; first their life, then their dignity.

Their treasures, legs and skirt, spread out to be seen by all

Autumn 1888 was the cruelest, coldest Fall

Kotah

" BIZARRE DIE -CHOTOMY

A gray haze transformed narrow streets and alleyways, into a maze of terror.

To walk them at night, could prove a fatal error.

It was rumored , White chaple streets were a killing zone

For brave or desperate souls, who ventured out alone

Murderer and hunter one ,roamed these streets at night

In the savagery , not sex found ,his perverse delight

Murderer and hunter one ,roamed these streets at night

In savagery , not sex found his perverse delight

Strangulation took them down, prevented any sound

A swift blade mutilated, her there on the ground.

Victim sliced from groin to breast plate bone

Payment , a single coin , she might offer to Charon

Innocent - Sinner, bizarre dichotomy.

In death, from all suffering, set free.

Kotah
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Simply amazing, Kotah.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
WOW !!!!!! Kotah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ripper Seance (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL