The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it true? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I heard but have not actually seen that the "Occupy Wall Street" group has some of the "protesters" being paid? If you are being paid, are you actually "protesting" anything, much less capitalism?

I can't BELIEVE that! I mean were they not the same group who claimed the Tea Party was "astro turf"? Said they were bought and paid for?

I can't believe that they have to pay people to protest capitalism. Is that not just so ironic you can't believe it?

Forget for a second if you agree or disagree with them. (Although with no agenda supposedly what is there to disagree with?) Is this true and if it is true is it the best way to get a message across? People scream about get the money out of politics (Redshirt.) yet they put together a fake protest in order to put forth an agenda. What is the difference in this and campaign donations?

I just really do not understand the ideas here. Usually I can see the underlying ideas contained in an opinion even if I disagree with it. I do not want to demonise these people as I am sure some of them are genuine and actually are angry. But I would think if they are bought and paid for they would have a much better message. The whole thing is just odd.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
No
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
People have been payed to get petitions signed. Are they sincere about their cause?

I believe in Peace very sincerely but if someone is willing to pay me to advertise for Peace, I would take the money and advertise. Doesn't make me any more or less sincere. Just makes me a little wealthier.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Perhaps not in your particular case no. But there are those who it would make less sincere.

It also brings us to the never ending question why does it make those you oppose less sincere?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-10-12 11:45, Al Angello wrote:
No

So obviously you have bad information.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5010 Posts

Profile of landmark
Why did you ask the question if you already had a pre-conceived answer? I thought you were more independent minded than that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh now wait a second. I asked if they were paid. I said I had no proof they were paid. Ian TOLD ME THEY WERE PAID. How is this not independent minded landmark?

Don't hand me that crap. Now that they are paid, is it really people looking to protest or is it people looking to make money? If it is the second, which some of them MUST be, then is it really the voice of the people is what I am asking.

I am also asking how this is not money in politics?

Why is that not fair minded? Because it goes agianst what you would like the protests to be?

Certainly nobody paid anyone for the Civil Rights protests did they? The anti-war protests didn't have people being paid in the 60's did it? Probably not and that is what made them so powerful!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
We are only looking at the tip of the iceburg soon the ocupiers will greatly outnumber the tea party. Reguardless of the ugly rumors spread by IAN.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Who's Ian?

And is the relevant question: Has anyone been paid by anyone to be there?

Or is it: Are significant numbers of the protesters being paid by anyone to be there?

And my follow-up question is: Since this does not appear to be a unified, centrally organized group, what is the point of the question?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
John I am simply curious as to if they are being paid, and if so by whom and why? Is that such a stupid thing to want to know?

Notice all the times they say alledged here? http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/228475/2......anic.htm

I keep hearing they are paid by some group, but not that anyone has seen a check stub.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
If there is payment involved then I'd like to know how much. Maybe I could supplement my student loans here...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Is there a market for busking at this event?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
John
IAN told me that all the tea party members are paid by the Koch brothers, and we all know that IAN doesn't lie.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I've watched the #OWS protests from day one, and have seen no evidence of astro-turfing. In fact, the disorganized nature- lack of press releases, lack of coordination, etc.- they had when they started might seem indicative of a lack of funding or sponsorship.

I won't deny they're affiliated with groups like the website DailyKos- it's actually through these websites and the community around them that the protests were organized in the first place. But from what I've seen, most of the initial funding (as it were) and participation was done through community outreach and hard work on the part of volunteers. In other words, you could say I've been to the meetings- and if there was astro-turfing involved, then whoever did it has done an incredible job of hiding it from the participants. When the unions finally started to put their support behind the protests, the #OWS crowd was very happy that they were being recognized- something that I don't think would have been such a big deal if it wasn't a real grass-roots effort.

I've been wrong before, but those are my impressions.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5010 Posts

Profile of landmark
Is it true that some member of the Magic Café would actually post unsubstantiated rumors knowingly as a propaganda device and would then try to pretend to cover himself by saying well he didn't really have proof, but anyone who disagreed with him was wrong? Well I don't have any proof, but IAN says it's so. Just sayin.'
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't imagine that people are actually being paid well. I think this is sort of blown out of proportion. In the very link I posted the word alledged appears LOTS of times LOL.

I am just trying to seriously get a handle on who is protesting and what it is they seem to want.

One woman was complaining how she made 50 grand a year and pays too much in taxes. Hmmm it occurs to me she should protest, it is just that she is in the wrong place. She fits in better with the Tea Party!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
They would have to come up with some really deep pockets to pay thousands of people to sleep in the park in lower Manhattan. It is extremely expensive to eat, or travel in New York city. Anyone who would put up with these conditions must be very dedicated.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say my tendency is to agree with the sentiment Al. It really is. I could not be paid enough to be in those conditions.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-10-12 19:40, landmark wrote:
Is it true that some member of the Magic Café would actually post unsubstantiated rumors knowingly as a propaganda device ...

THAT one made me laugh landmark. Guess you didn't notice but it's been done by those on the left to those of us on the right for the last couple years. Thanks for the chuckle.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea lots of it about the Tea Party.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it true? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL