The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's walking knot question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
For those performers claiming that no one would suspect the rope... Just google Shawn Farquhar performance of this piece on youtube. There is like 15 different comments in the first dozen where people ask "does it have magnets?". Even if no one comes to ask you about it it doesn't mean some of em arent thinking about it.

I was at magic convention gala show with 3 laymen friends of mine and on the stage was indeed here mentioned Mike Caveney. He did bow and arrow, rope and juggling and every one of the laymen friends of mine told me straight in the face "that rope wasnt normal". Same thing happened some years earlier in same convention when Pavel was doing same routine. My total laymen GF at the time just told me "I don't get the rope thing, it just has magnets doesn't it?" What can I say; "Nope, it has s**p f******rs" Smile

Just try to do even any basic rope routine like Fiber optics or George Sands routine to lay audience few times without em letting see the rope at some point of the routine and I am willing to bet a huge sum of money that within few performances someone will ask about the rope.

J-M
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Korttihai_82 we all know how much you "love" me and who can forget your priceless comment referring to me as a "magic superstar" while discussing my win at FISM: "Its worth noting that when “magic superstar” meets “not so well known” guys in competitions, do you really expect that they will get same judging…” So this latest comment of yours comes as no surprise.

I have been presenting Pavel's brilliant FISM award winning effect for more than two decades and have had just a handful of spectators ever think it was magnets. In fact I added the two metal stands to my routine to help negate that thought, as most intelligent people would recognize the fact that magnets would stick to the stands.

You wrote: "Just google Shawn Farquhar performance of this piece on youtube. There is like 15 different comments in the first dozen where people ask "does it have magnets?"... I'm not sure where you are looking as I just went to see and my video http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=MEl-6btWmTM has 66 comments and there are three mentions of the word "magnet" and two of them are by me! WTF are you talking about? In the past four weeks I have presented the routine on stage in several countries and on the ships of Disney Cruise line and it is one of the three most talked about effects in the show. The surprising thing to you may be that it is not talk about "how I did the effect".. but how it made them feel.

Please direct me to where you found this video where the "15 comments in the first dozen" (interesting math by the way) mention magnets? If not please don't post false information, we're all here to learn and share I think.

-shawn

p.s. Fiber Optics and the Sandsational routine are also wonderful as is Francis Tabary's ... they are just different and if tou feel you need to hand out everything then these may be a better choice.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Shawn: The world is full of haters. Ignore.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Mike, I'd normally just laugh it off, especially from korttihai_82, but Pavel is not alive to defend his wonderful effect and he deserves to be respected for his contributions to our art. I know some people won't get that, and feeding haters is not my thing, but sometimes it just needs saying. ;-)
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Yup. I don't don't do Pavel's Walking Knot (I do a different variation), but I have always respected the outstanding work of Pavel.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Quote:
On 2013-12-02 16:02, Shawn Farquhar wrote:
Mike, I'd normally just laugh it off, especially from korttihai_82, but Pavel is not alive to defend his wonderful effect and he deserves to be respected for his contributions to our art. I know some people won't get that, and feeding haters is not my thing, but sometimes it just needs saying. ;-)

He was one heck of an inventor. The walking knot is one of the best pieces of magic a laymen can watch (apparently some magicians as well!).

Don't let them get you down buddy Smile You're one of the best out there.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
MLDupree
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MLDupree
Pavel's Walking Knot is a fantastic effect. I first saw Shawn preform it at Magic at the Beach Conference in Myrtle Beach and was blown away. I have been looking for a YouTube link of Shawn preforming it for awhile. The link in Shawn's message will not play I get the message "blocked in your country due to copyright" I am in the US.

I would love to see your performance again is there another link out there?

Shawn I do love you man keep up the excellent work!!

P.S. When are you going to release your Cups and Balls DVD??
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I am looking for this exct same effect. I have seen Shawn Farquhar and others perform it & I LOVE IT ! May anyone please guide me to any DVD or source which I can learn it and try to perfect it ? Thanks.
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Sorry if I mentioned DVD, I didn't know there has to be gimmicks with it. Can anyone please guide me to where I may buy this, a good, tried-out before version with a good price ? I want to do the version that cuts at 3 places since I'm planning to do a stage play patter type of presentation and I see this illusion perfect for me. Thanks.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

TheMagicalMan, here's the link to all the various Walking Knots available from Pavel's company. http://www.pavelmagic.com/us/mainhome.ph......ing_knot

I am surprised to read that folks in the US are blocked on the YouTube video. I suspect you are using a mobile device to view. Try using a laptop. Most music with copyright is blocked on mobile devices.

MLDupree, I have finally found a wonderful craftsman who can make the cups in Aluminum and another who can make it in wood too! I will be releasing a limited number of them as soon as they can find time to produce the cups.

Finally, here's a quote from Pavel's own website: "Over 3000 magicians, who have purchased the Super Walking Knot worldwide since 1982, cannot be wrong!"

-shawn
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 12:02, TheMagicalMan wrote:
Sorry if I mentioned DVD, I didn't know there has to be gimmicks with it. Can anyone please guide me to where I may buy this, a good, tried-out before version with a good price? I want to do the version that cuts at 3 places since I'm planning to do a stage play patter type of presentation and I see this illusion perfect for me. Thanks.

Here is Pavel's website ran by his relatives. Notice their are now several versions available at different price ranges. I did a search for you and only found the Super available on eBay and at a store in Canada. Most dealers over the years have not carried this product because of the high cost.

As far as "tried-out before version", not many will sell the one's they own. You can post your request in the "Let's Make A Deal" section of the Café and see if anyone responds.
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Shawn, thank you very much for the link, but is there any information about the quality of the items, the DVD, or so ?! Is this one of the best versions available at a decent price or so ?!

Bill Thank you very much for your effort and time. What I meant by the 'tried out version' was....is there a version sold by a particular website now that people have tried about, the item has positive reviews, and available. But I'm guessing Pavel's Magic seems like a nice version, thanks Smile .
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

TheMagicalMan, Pavel's is the best there is in the world. No doubt in my mind. I am not a fan of the Junior version as it is very limiting. Yes the cost is expensive but it is also a solid four minutes in my show and worth every penny I spent. In fact I own two of the ropes, just in case I ever need a spare. I have seen an inferior knock off that is being sold and it's quality and price were extremely low. I would never trust the knock off to work well in front of a paying audience.

-shawn
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 13:03, magicians wrote:
:

I have seen another, where you use two spectators and one of them helps you with an end switch.

If I understand the comment, a method like this was presented in Harlan Live, his tightrope walker routine. I found the effect to be startling (since it uses regular rope, you move the knot around, then untie it, and the spectators are left holding the 2 different lengths of rope)

Earlier this year, Harlan had "Harlan Live" (his standup routine), available on his website as a download for $5! Check it out.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John, he may have also been speaking of Jim Steinmeyer's version.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Actually, it almost sounds like the "Not Walking Knot" by Michael J. Fitsch
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

sivartn
View Profile
New user
Nebraska
58 Posts

Profile of sivartn
I'm a little late to this thread, I stumbled upon the Not walking Knot method on my own while trying to come up with a way of doing walking knot. It is great, but It has its limitations that Pavel's solves. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be ok to have two audience members holding each end of Pavel's simplified rope?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, sivartn wrote:
I'm a little late to this thread, I stumbled upon the Not walking Knot method on my own while trying to come up with a way of doing walking knot. It is great, but It has its limitations that Pavel's solves. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be ok to have two audience members holding each end of Pavel's simplified rope?

Go back and read the second post in this forum by David Charvet. I believe the answers your question and it can be applied to the version you mentioned.

The emphasis in your question is on the word "Hold", you have to convey this to your audience assistants with good spectator management. When I have two ladies or children hold a 25 foot silk streamer, they always get the urge to play 'tug of war' with the expensive silk streamer. So of course, this must be commented on before they get the great idea themselves.

This you have to control with your explicit instructions on how to hold the rope. Controlling people during a show only comes with thought and awareness of things the may go wrong and working out solutions. This only comes from experience, but forethought will help prevent embarrassment for you.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2013, Shawn Farquhar wrote:
...as I just went to see and my video http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=MEl-6btWmTM has 66 comments and there are three mentions of the word "magnet" and two of them are by me! WTF are you talking about? In the past four weeks I have presented the routine on stage in several countries and on the ships of Disney Cruise line and it is one of the three most talked about effects in the show. The surprising thing to you may be that it is not talk about "how I did the effect".. but how it made them feel.

Please direct me to where you found this video where the "15 comments in the first dozen" (interesting math by the way) mention magnets? If not please don't post false information, we're all here to learn and share I think.

-shawn

p.s. Fiber Optics and the Sandsational routine are also wonderful as is Francis Tabary's ... they are just different and if tou feel you need to hand out everything then these may be a better choice.

Thanks Shawn, the presentation was very good. This is a good lesson on how to solve the problem I asked about a few years ago. I had many people say that the rope needed to be looser, but your video shows how loose. It's practically to the floor. I guess that's the only way you can do it without the problems I mentioned before. I don't like it that way as I guess I was thinking of Doug Henning/Paul Curry Walking Knot, but at least your way is workable.

I still have the original instructions to the Paul Curry trick, but since I don't work with assistants it is not practical for me.

I will now rethink about doing this again since I saw your video Shawn. I have a routine that worked well with the audience I performed for, but it kept coming undone. The audience was baffled by that too, but I did not want the rope coming apart again. Now I can go back to my original idea thanks to Shawn's video.
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
You can find Paul Curry's version in his book Worlds Beyond.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's walking knot question (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL