The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BOXFILP by David Forrest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Hey guys,

Just got an email about this:

http://www.full52.com/boxflip.htm

Sounds great - what do you guys think?
Any reviews? Smile

Kyle
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11858 Posts

Profile of John C
He's good. I am looking at nevermore.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Why didn't he show the effect? He talked about it , showed parts of it but did not do the effect from start to finish. Not a way to make a sale to me.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
435 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
From what I saw I believe the video contains the full effect splited in parts.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Exactly ,split in parts you can make an elephant appear, change your clothes or suddenly go from Paris to New York.You do not see the effect when it is split into parts.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
Jeremie Leroi
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
107 Posts

Profile of Jeremie Leroi
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 14:26, Glenn Watson wrote:
Why didn't he show the effect? He talked about it , showed parts of it but did not do the effect from start to finish. Not a way to make a sale to me.


Hi,

Dave obviously doesn't want to expose the secret behind this trick. Which I suppose could easily be guessed by the keen observer with a magical background watching a performance multiple times in front of a camera.

You just have to trust him on this and Dave has a bulletproof reputation as someone who delivers what he promises.

J.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
If you don't want to show the effect why make a video. It serves no purpose. I am not commenting on the inventor or the trick but the video.
Sankey is very good but has produced some clunkers.So trusting someones past performance is not always the best path.I pay for effects not peoples reputations.
I agree with the original poster it SOUNDS GREAT.Magic is usually about how it looks, I have no idea how it looks.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
668 Posts

Profile of jimesw
If I set up a facebook group "magic shops can only sell items which have a demonstration of the full uncut effect without all the jazzy stuff, special effects and people cheering like they have just seen a miracle even though they know full well it is just a double lift" will people join?
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of King14
You need a demo from start to finish before you spend ure cash.More one trick rubbish
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
If someone does not make a demo or does not show the effect, that is their decision. Whether you buy it or not is your decision. Complaining about the lack of demo is not helpful. I respect the creators decision. Even when a demo is shown then people will complain that it was edited, used dupes, etc.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 15:12, brehaut wrote:
If someone does not make a demo or does not show the effect, that is their decision. Whether you buy it or not is your decision. Complaining about the lack of demo is not helpful. I respect the creators decision. Even when a demo is shown then people will complain that it was edited, used dupes, etc.

How is no true demo helpful.Why not just go with a written description.I can read and have seen brick walls before.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
435 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
Some things while work in real life situations can not be shown totally filmed either because they end quite boring (speaking and speaking and speaking) (videos do not have the personal touch that keeps you in the game) either because from camera's point of view we will have an exposure.

the moments you will give to your spectator are shown at the video. In other words videos are from a spectator's point of view and not a magician's one.
of course this does not mean that they can show fake scenes or hide basic parts. As mentioned a double lift can be the basic secret of an effect but not at all the important part of its presentation for a spectator.(at least in most cases)

This is at least my opinion.

It is true that the scenes are quite quick so maybe this is a reason you can not get an idea on how it looks.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I guess my question is ,if you can't show the effect because the secret could be discovered,Why make the video? An attempt to be artsy with the brick wall and close ups was made. but my reason to watch an advertising video of an effect is to see the effect. If it cannot be shown for the reason stated, Put out a "print" ad with endorsements from well known people and call it a day. My problem is not with just this ad but with all the many ads like it.
They have something visual to sell.they use a visual advertisement, They don't show you the visual thing they are trying to sell.
That IS NOT HELPFUL. Why not just put out an audio description and an audio of the performance with a great a reaction ? It would be like old time radio you can use your imagination.no magician needed. It would give me no less information.

if you receieve an email saying ,I have a trick . I cannot show it because the secret might be discovered. Now watch the video. Would you watch it? Maybe you would . I would not. There would be no point to it, and to not state that just wastes my time and their effort.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 15:37, Glenn Watson wrote:
I guess my question is ,if you can't show the effect because the secret could be discovered,Why make the video? An attempt to be artsy with the brick wall and close ups was made. but my reason to watch an advertising video of an effect is to see the effect. If it cannot be shown for the reason stated, Put out a "print" ad with endorsements from well known people and call it a day. My problem is not with just this ad but with all the many ads like it.
They have something visual to sell.they use a visual advertisement, They don't show you the visual thing they are trying to sell.
That IS NOT HELPFUL. Why not just put out an audio description and an audio of the performance with a great a reaction ? It would be like old time radio you can use your imagination.no magician needed. It would give me no less information.

if you receieve an email saying ,I have a trick . I cannot show it because the secret might be discovered. Now watch the video. Would you watch it? Maybe you would . I would not. There would be no point to it.


Its fine for you to have that opinion but not sure what your point is. Forrest is the creator. He can decide whether he wants to do a demo or not. He can decide whether to do a video rather than a written description. He has a good reputation and people will buy it on that. If you need to have a demo to buy---thats your choice. The tradeoff is that you will surely miss out on some great effects but that is your choice. I can say that most my strongest effects were purchased without a demo.
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
I know I'm buying it !!!!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Just bought it - downloading!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11858 Posts

Profile of John C
Buy, don't buy. our choice. Dave is a great thinker. If you've ever purchased any of his stuff you will not question the value on future releases.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 16:09, KyleMacNeill wrote:
Just bought it - downloading!


Look forward to hearing your thoughts
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 16:14, johncesta wrote:
Buy, don't buy. our choice. Dave is a great thinker. If you've ever purchased any of his stuff you will not question the value on future releases.

J


Totally agreed.

For me, Dave's material is a must, it's always great. If he informs me of a new product by uncut demo, teaser trailer or carrier pigeon, I want in!
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of King14
You can see a full demo if you wear a blindfold.when you buy the trick don't show it to anyone tell them about it.IF they want to see a demo make them use the blindfold.Now that's magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BOXFILP by David Forrest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL